rec for mastering in newyork

Last response: in Home Audio
January 18, 2005 5:52:22 PM

hi everyone-

I just had a master made of my album. I sent it to a mastering engineer
(recommended from a friend), but the spacing between the songs is wrong, the
EQ is poor in most tunes and even the volume fluctuates noticebly between
tracks.

So, I'd like to get the album remastered in New York City (where I am). I'd
like to be at the mastering session.

I'm already overbudget so I'm looking for good recommendations which are not
too expensive ($1000 or under) for an 11 track album.

Any recommendations?

thank you for any help

Kevin

More about : rec mastering newyork

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 5:52:23 PM

Kevin Gallagher <gallaghk1719nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I just had a master made of my album. I sent it to a mastering engineer
>(recommended from a friend), but the spacing between the songs is wrong, the
>EQ is poor in most tunes and even the volume fluctuates noticebly between
>tracks.

So, send it back. I hope you didn't pay him. Who was this guy?

>So, I'd like to get the album remastered in New York City (where I am). I'd
>like to be at the mastering session.
>
>I'm already overbudget so I'm looking for good recommendations which are not
>too expensive ($1000 or under) for an 11 track album.

I can strongly recommend Don Grossinger at Masterdisk for acoustic music.
He does nice work, he encourages you to attend the session, and when he
was at Europadisc he was very reasonably-priced.
--scott

January 18, 2005 5:52:24 PM

You can also try Sterling Sound. They have an "after hours" program
that should be pretty good yet affordable. I can recommend Ryan Smith
(the production engineer for Ted Jensen) as a very conscientious
mastering engineer.

Cheers,
Trevor de Clercq

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Kevin Gallagher <gallaghk1719nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>I just had a master made of my album. I sent it to a mastering engineer
>>(recommended from a friend), but the spacing between the songs is wrong, the
>>EQ is poor in most tunes and even the volume fluctuates noticebly between
>>tracks.
>

> So, send it back. I hope you didn't pay him. Who was this guy?
>

>>So, I'd like to get the album remastered in New York City (where I am). I'd
>>like to be at the mastering session.
>>
>>I'm already overbudget so I'm looking for good recommendations which are not
>>too expensive ($1000 or under) for an 11 track album.
>

> I can strongly recommend Don Grossinger at Masterdisk for acoustic music.
> He does nice work, he encourages you to attend the session, and when he
> was at Europadisc he was very reasonably-priced.
> --scott

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 6:45:04 PM

Or Scott Hull at Hit Factory mastering
--Lou Gimenez
The Music Lab
2" 24track w all the Goodies
www.musiclabnyc.com

> From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
> Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
> Date: 18 Jan 2005 10:37:51 -0500
> Subject: Re: rec for mastering in newyork
>
> Kevin Gallagher <gallaghk1719nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>> I just had a master made of my album. I sent it to a mastering engineer
>> (recommended from a friend), but the spacing between the songs is wrong, the
>> EQ is poor in most tunes and even the volume fluctuates noticebly between
>> tracks.
>
> So, send it back. I hope you didn't pay him. Who was this guy?
>
>> So, I'd like to get the album remastered in New York City (where I am). I'd
>> like to be at the mastering session.
>>
>> I'm already overbudget so I'm looking for good recommendations which are not
>> too expensive ($1000 or under) for an 11 track album.
>
> I can strongly recommend Don Grossinger at Masterdisk for acoustic music.
> He does nice work, he encourages you to attend the session, and when he
> was at Europadisc he was very reasonably-priced.
> --scott

January 18, 2005 10:42:00 PM

Thanks for the info-

I don't want to mention names. He's a pro but for my project it was way off.
He gave me his "discount" rate which perhaps means he doesn't take enough
time to listen to the product. Sounds like he just watched the meters and
put the default sequencing between tracks at about 2 seconds. I'd rather go
to a novice who really cares about the end result. Thanks for the
recommendations in New York

Best

January 18, 2005 10:42:01 PM

Kevin Gallagher <gallaghk1719nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I don't want to mention names. He's a pro but for my project it was way off.
>He gave me his "discount" rate which perhaps means he doesn't take enough
>time to listen to the product. Sounds like he just watched the meters and
>put the default sequencing between tracks at about 2 seconds. I'd rather go
>to a novice who really cares about the end result. Thanks for the
>recommendations in New York

attended. If he's a real pro, he'll fix it.
--scott

January 19, 2005 12:35:53 AM

In article <BE12B392.5B689%themusiclab@optonline.net> themusiclab@optonline.net writes:

> Or Scott Hull at Hit Factory mastering

Gee, do I know the names of all the mastering engineers in NYC? Or do
we all just know the names of the famous ones who get written up in
Mix?

The guy wants a budget priced mastering job, so he probalby really
needs (as he suggested) someone who hasn't made it to Mix yet but is
trying hard.

January 19, 2005 6:49:42 AM

> The guy wants a budget priced mastering job, so he probalby really
> needs (as he suggested) someone who hasn't made it to Mix yet but is
> trying hard.

maybe a student over at Tisch ?

--
Peace,
Ed Bridge

Kevin Gallagher wrote:
> Thanks for the info-
>
>I'd rather go
> to a novice who really cares about the end result.
Hi Kevin,
I suggest you check out Brent Lambert at Kitchen Mastering, in Carrboro
(Chapel Hill), NC, and get NYC caliber results on the budget you have.
He is a talented mastering engineer with 10 plus years experience who
really does care about each project that leaves his shop.

His personal commitment to get the most out what *I want* on my
projects is why I highly endorse his work. He works on a mix of
regional and national talent, and has a wonderfully equipped analog and
digital mastering room, well designed and tuned by John Arthur
(acoustician from Florida).

Give him a call and tell him Charles sent you. Check out the website
at http://www.kitchenmastering.com/

I would feel completely comfortable sending down the masters and some
reference material if you cannot attend the session, or come down and
see Chapel Hill. Flights are cheap from NYC to RDU.

Charles Jones
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 3:41:52 PM

First of all, the audio engineering students at NYU are not in Tisch,
they are in the School of Education. Second of all, the poster could do
a lot better than an NYU student (even a good one) for a reasonable
amount of money.

Cheers,
Trevor de Clercq
(former NYU audio grad student)

Edward Bridge wrote:
> "Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote in message
>
>>The guy wants a budget priced mastering job, so he probalby really
>>needs (as he suggested) someone who hasn't made it to Mix yet but is
>>trying hard.
>

> maybe a student over at Tisch ?
>
> --
> Peace,
> Ed Bridge
> Brooklyn N.Y.
> http://www.bridgeclassicalguitars.com/

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 4:57:20 PM

"Edward Bridge" <edbridge@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> "Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote in message
> >
> > The guy wants a budget priced mastering job, so he probalby really
> > needs (as he suggested) someone who hasn't made it to Mix yet but is
> > trying hard.
>

> maybe a student over at Tisch ,

I guess I should have said Clive Davis dept. of Recording .
http://clivedavisdept.tisch.nyu.edu/page/home

--
Peace,
Ed Bridge
Brooklyn N.Y.
http://www.bridgeclassicalguitars.com/
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 5:14:52 PM

Man, this is SOOO NYU it's retarded. Here is the "other" audio
engineering program at NYU:

http://education.nyu.edu/music/mtech/programs/programs....

When I went to NYU there was no audio program at Tisch. So it's new as
of 2000. It always seemed stupid that the audio program was in the
School of Ed, but it made sense in that the School of Ed had Music
Education and it was an outgrowth of that. Most "professional" music
programs are not in the standard arts and sciences schools (such as the
composition and performance programs at Yale).

Anyway, I could go on and on about the idiocy about having two audio
programs at NYU and how it's very bad for the students but I'm going to
stop before it gets out of hand.

Cheers,
Trevor de Clercq

Edward Bridge wrote:
> "Trevor deClercq" <declerct@newschool.edu> wrote in message
> > First of all, the audio engineering students at NYU are not in
Tisch,
> > they are in the School of Education. Second of all, the poster
could do
> > a lot better than an NYU student (even a good one) for a reasonable
> > amount of money.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Trevor de Clercq
> > (former NYU audio grad student)
>
> Hi Trevor
>
> It's great your a former NYU audio grad student . Actually I've been
to the
> studio but I could not say who it belongs to. I'm sorry if I
> mis-understood which school; why does it say Tisch on the website ,
> http://clivedavisdept.tisch.nyu.edu/page/home
>
> I would think a sharp student could handle a mix of a classical
guitar CD.
> Are there teachers/staff that could help?
> I was under the impression "it" was a good school with good
gear.Once my
> forth children goes to school next year, I was thinking of studying
audio
> becasue I know so little. Is the school that bad?
>
> The poster is a really good musician. I thought maybe the school
would enjoy
> working with one of the better NYC musicains and the poster could
save a
> few dollars becasue as he said "I'm already over-budget "
>
> Peace,
> Ed Bridge
> Brooklyn N.Y.
> http://www.bridgeclassicalguitars.com/
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 9:40:33 PM

"Trevor deClercq" <declerct@newschool.edu> wrote in message
> First of all, the audio engineering students at NYU are not in Tisch,
> they are in the School of Education. Second of all, the poster could do
> a lot better than an NYU student (even a good one) for a reasonable
> amount of money.
>
> Cheers,
> Trevor de Clercq
> (former NYU audio grad student)

Hi Trevor

It's great your a former NYU audio grad student . Actually I've been to the
studio but I could not say who it belongs to. I'm sorry if I
mis-understood which school; why does it say Tisch on the website ,
http://clivedavisdept.tisch.nyu.edu/page/home

I would think a sharp student could handle a mix of a classical guitar CD.
Are there teachers/staff that could help?
I was under the impression "it" was a good school with good gear.Once my
forth children goes to school next year, I was thinking of studying audio
becasue I know so little. Is the school that bad?

The poster is a really good musician. I thought maybe the school would enjoy
working with one of the better NYC musicains and the poster could save a
few dollars becasue as he said "I'm already over-budget "

Peace,
Ed Bridge
Brooklyn N.Y.
http://www.bridgeclassicalguitars.com/
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 3:13:22 AM

Hi, Kevin --

Kevin Gallagher" <gallaghk1719nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:Go9Hd.4263$Rs.472@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...> hi everyone-

> I just had a master made of my album. I sent it to a mastering engineer
> (recommended from a friend), but the spacing between the songs is wrong,
the
> EQ is poor in most tunes and even the volume fluctuates noticebly between
> tracks.
>
> So, I'd like to get the album remastered in New York City (where I am).
I'd
> like to be at the mastering session.
>
> I'm already overbudget so I'm looking for good recommendations which are
not
> too expensive ($1000 or under) for an 11 track album.
>
> Any recommendations?

Michael MacDonald is a wonderful mastering engineer. He's in NYC. I don't
know if he can do your project within your budget, but it's worth an email
to find out. Ping me off line and I'll email you his email address (don't
want to post it because of spammers).

Best,

-- Steve

Sonicraft A2DX Lab
Ultimate Multitrack Analog-to-Digital Transfers
http://www.sonicraft.com/a2dx/