Help.....please?

Mace31

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2003
Just got a new Cd Rom unit, new 40Gb HD and a new soundcard (Hercules GS Muse 5.1). Everything seemed to work fine, tried it all with Unreal 2 once and was ok (since took U2 back, asit was crap!).

Now, I come to try CFS3 (with the new patch) and Ghost Recon. CFS3 will get to the main menu then 5-10 seconds later will just hang, having to hard restart.

Ghost Recon will get into the menus but with certain letters missing from the text, get into first mission and as soon as I press the mouse button to shoot it crashes.

In both games the sound carries on going.

I am pissed off because the reason I bought the HD and CD-rom was partially due to this (i thought one of the two had a problem anyways), it cannot be Win98se as the problem because this never happened before and it's installed on a brand new HD.

So, is it the sound card? Or is it a overheating problem?

I am running a GF3Ti200 by the way.......

Phalanx01

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2003
I'd reformat my HD, most likely a damn software thingy. You could search for ever to find the little ah heck though!

But did you install the latest drivers for all of your hardware? The Ghost Recon error you have sounds familliar to me, I remember reading something about it on the forum on the GR main site.

BlueHornet

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2003
...not sure, it could be a virus carried over on something. Do you have any virus checkers? Reminds me of a Hybris bug I once had...good luck.

peace,
-=<font color=blue>i3lue}{orneT</font color=blue>=-

Mace31

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2003
Interesting.........

I have just run 3d Mark and it crashes to desktop! As there is no sound what so ever with 3d Mark it must be 3D card related. Which if it is, is a bummer as it is 1 month out of warranty. I am going to try my old 32Mb Prophet card....

....will report back soon.

Mace31

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2003
So, GF3 out and a Hercules 3D prophet 4000XT (32Mb) in, still with the old PCI 128 sound card and.........

.....ghost recon runs no problem (slightly slower, but at least it runs!).

GF3 must be knackered, only a year old though so gonna try and get a replacement. It's a Pine card, anyone else have any probs with them?

Next, in the intrepid adventures of 'spend-all-his-sunday-pissing-about-with-his-pc' man, he will attempt to put back his new sound card!

Will it still be ok? Will he have to pay out for a new sound card as well as a new 3D card? Will he accidently tread on it?

Stay tuned to find out.....

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Could be a dying power supply?

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
You are running the current nVidia drivers right? version 41.09 is avialable on their website...its the current official version. If your running the origional drivers still then this might help. Also, try diabling EAX.

Windows is like a house of cards... One wrong move and it all comes crashing down.