Any new games like Ultima Underworld?

On 15 Jun 2005 18:35:30 -0700, "kilowatt@charter.net"
<kilowatt@charter.net> wrote:

>I played Arx Fatalis and loved it. Any more?

Well, it's not exactly a RPG but you might try Thief or Thief II. Very
immersive first-person games with a huge archive of fan missions some
better than the original missions. If you can find a copy of either game
that is.

Or perhaps try Gothic 1 and 2. Not traditional fist-person, but not too
bad. Interface takes a little getting used to but is easy if you stick
with it and remap the keys to your liking. Very detailed world. They
were specifically comparing themselves to Ultima 9 in many reviews and I
think many would say they created game(s) that are better in many ways.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

On 15 Jun 2005 18:35:30 -0700, kilowatt@charter.net wrote:

> I played Arx Fatalis and loved it. Any more?

None that I know of, sadly.

M.
--
ClamWin, an open source antivirus software for Windows:
http://www.clamwin.com/

nostromo

Thus spake "kilowatt@charter.net" <kilowatt@charter.net>, 15 Jun 2005
18:35:30 -0700, Anno Domini:

>I played Arx Fatalis and loved it. Any more?

Errr...Gothic 1 & 2, if you don't mind a lot of outdoors as well? :)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

Bitstring <1118885730.760094.19960@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, from
the wonderful person "kilowatt@charter.net" <kilowatt@charter.net> said
>I played Arx Fatalis and loved it. Any more?

Gothic 1/2. Gothic 3 if it ever shows up. Morrowind, if you can cope
with really not having much of a story/plot to follow (or, if you read
all the books, a bit too much plot to follow).

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

What do you mean "if it ever shows up"? AFAIK it's on schedule. Patience.

Bitstring <Mtkse.970619$w62.909823@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
from the wonderful person dawg <don't@look.?.att.net.invalid> said
>What do you mean "if it ever shows up"? AFAIK it's on schedule. Patience.

I mean it's not here yet so he can't play it. You can say 'if' or 'when'
... the difference is in the eye of the beholder. Oh and

A: Top-posting

Q: What's the most annoying thing about Mr Dawg.

(The second most annoying is that you can't get you newsreader to <snip>
..sigs)

>"GSV Three Minds in a Can" <GSV@quik.clara.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Bitstring <1118885730.760094.19960@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, from
>> the wonderful person "kilowatt@charter.net" <kilowatt@charter.net> said
>> >I played Arx Fatalis and loved it. Any more?
>>
>> Gothic 1/2. Gothic 3 if it ever shows up. Morrowind, if you can cope
>> with really not having much of a story/plot to follow (or, if you read
>> all the books, a bit too much plot to follow).

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

mace

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2002

kilowatt@charter.net wrote:
> I played Arx Fatalis and loved it. Any more?

All the Looking Glass games were masterpieces like UW2, System Shocks
and Thiefs (+Terra Nova). Also there are VERY underworld-esque dungeons
and puzzles in Wizards & Warriors.

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:07:59 +0100, GSV Three Minds in a Can wrote:

> Gothic 1/2. Gothic 3 if it ever shows up. Morrowind, if you can cope
> with really not having much of a story/plot to follow (or, if you read
> all the books, a bit too much plot to follow).

These games really aren't like Ultima Underworld, though. They are "just"
first person CRPGs, but Arx was the only UU-like game in the relatively
recent past. They're working on a new title, but it's not an Arx sequel,
unfortunately.

M.
--

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 02:58:07 +0200, Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com>
wrote:

>These games really aren't like Ultima Underworld, though. They are "just"
>first person CRPGs, but Arx was the only UU-like game in the relatively
>recent past. They're working on a new title, but it's not an Arx sequel,
>unfortunately.
>
>M.

What happened to the AF sequel they were hyping some time back. Not
enough support for a sequel?

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 23:04:19 -0500, Michael Cecil
<macecil@comcast.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 02:58:07 +0200, Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>These games really aren't like Ultima Underworld, though. They are "just"
>>first person CRPGs, but Arx was the only UU-like game in the relatively
>>recent past. They're working on a new title, but it's not an Arx sequel,
>>unfortunately.
>>
>>M.
>
>What happened to the AF sequel they were hyping some time back. Not
>enough support for a sequel?

At last report, they had licensed the Source engine (I think that's
the HL2 one), and it was still in development. That was half a year
ago. Since then, their publisher, JoWood, was reported to have run
into financial trouble. Depending on how much Arkane was relying on
JoWood for operating capital, Arkane studios and AF2 might be history
too. Just had a look at the Arkane Studios website and it doesn't
look good. Lots of dead links and it hasn't been updated in over a
year. http://www.arkane-studios.com/

MCheu

That's me. Mr. top poster. Trying to do better.

"mace" <mmace@my-deja.com> wrote:
>kilowatt@charter.net wrote:
>> I played Arx Fatalis and loved it. Any more?
>
>All the Looking Glass games were masterpieces like UW2, System Shocks
>and Thiefs (+Terra Nova). Also there are VERY underworld-esque dungeons
>and puzzles in Wizards & Warriors.

Except that W&W blows goats to infinity.

Cole ***

.... there came a great "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> flying,
and he bore tidings beyond hope, crying:

that
is
believe
I do

>That's me. Mr. top poster. Trying to do better.

not
top-posting
really
confusing ...
--
"This is an extremely primitive and paranoid culture."
(James T. Kirk on 20th century America, Star Trek IV)

"

I think the person who asked if there were any other games like Ultima
Underwold is getting a lot of bad advice.

First, this may be to obvious to mention but there is Ultima Underworld II,
which is just like to original but better. He may well already know about
this game but
in cse he did not it needs to be missing.

Most of the other replies are just people telling him wha they like, whether
it has any of the feel Ultima Underwolrld had.

One example is ARX Fatalis. Sure, it advertised itself as being "in the
tradition of UU" but it ws not. About this olnly thing they really had in
common was they are both first person games that played mostly underground.
Thats not enough to make it like Ultima Underworld I.

FAllout, anp game mentioned, is futurestic instead of Mideavel, takes place
mostly abouve ground, and has an isometric viewpoint, it is NOTHING like
Ultima Underworld. If anyone disagrees with his I would like them to post
just what similarities he is talking about.

I could go on but wont bother.

The poster should play Might and Might 6 if he wanys to play a really great
first person viewpoint and lots of this in it that make it just cool. It is
much more tecnilogically than some of todays games but it is much mire
advanced that
Ultima Underworld. It has a really interesting skill system
and has a good mix of overground and underground play.
But nobody mentioned it that I saw. Of couse Ultima Underworld came out
around 1992 and Might and Magic 6 around 1996 so maybe most people are
posting tody weren't born yet or something.

And the beauty he that if he likes he he can also play Might and Magic 7,
and 8. Do not play might and magic 9, its terrible and do not confuse the
might and magic roleplaying series and the might and magic turned base
strategy series. Not the same at all.

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 05:20:48 GMT, Patrick Pierson wrote:

> But nobody mentioned it that I saw. Of couse Ultima Underworld came out
> around 1992 and Might and Magic 6 around 1996 so maybe most people are
> posting tody weren't born yet or something.

Or perhaps you missed the word "new" in the subject line. :) "New" to me
means "in the past three years", not "nearly a decade ago". I also
interpreted "like" as "similar", and Arx Fatalis is the "new" game that
comes UU the closest. It isn't exactly like UU, and I (nor anybody else)
made the claim. But if someone liked UU, I think they will like Arx, too.
At least I did. On the flipside, I was never that breathtaken by the M&M
series, but tastes most certainly differ.

M.

"Patrick Pierson" <brindle1@earthlink.net> once tried to test me with:

> "
>
> I think the person who asked if there were any other games like Ultima
> Underwold is getting a lot of bad advice.
>
> First, this may be to obvious to mention but there is Ultima
> Underworld II, which is just like to original but better. He may well

I mentioned it.

> Most of the other replies are just people telling him wha they like,
> whether it has any of the feel Ultima Underwolrld had.

That's because there's precious few games that are anything like Ultima
Underworld.

> One example is ARX Fatalis. Sure, it advertised itself as being "in
> the tradition of UU" but it ws not. About this olnly thing they really
> had in common was they are both first person games that played mostly
> underground. Thats not enough to make it like Ultima Underworld I.

> The poster should play Might and Might 6 if he wanys to play a really
> great first person viewpoint and lots of this in it that make it just
> cool. It is much more tecnilogically than some of todays games but it
> is much mire advanced that
> Ultima Underworld. It has a really interesting skill system
> and has a good mix of overground and underground play.
> But nobody mentioned it that I saw. Of couse Ultima Underworld came
> out around 1992 and Might and Magic 6 around 1996 so maybe most people
> are posting tody weren't born yet or something.

Huh?

While I agree that MM6 is a great game, it's NOTHING like Ultima
Underworld. Arx Fatalis is by far much closer to UU in terms of how it
feels. First of all, in MM6 you're a PARTY of adventurers, not a lone
adventurer in an unfamiliar dungeon like UU and Arx Fatalis. Secondly, the
magic system in MM6 is your typical "spells" list with different types of
specializations, whereas both UU and Arx fatalis use RUNES to do magic and
different combinations of runes can do different effects. But the dungeons
in MM6 can give you a bit of UU feel sort of so I guess there is that.

> And the beauty he that if he likes he he can also play Might and Magic
> 7, and 8. Do not play might and magic 9, its terrible and do not
> confuse the might and magic roleplaying series and the might and magic
> turned base strategy series. Not the same at all.

MM9 was okay apart from all the bugs. It's certainly not of the same
caliber as MM7 but it's worth a play if you enjoyed the other MM games
already.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

.... there came a great Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com> flying,
and he bore tidings beyond hope, crying:

> But if someone liked UU, I think they will like Arx, too.
>At least I did. On the flipside, I was never that breathtaken by the M&M
>series, but tastes most certainly differ.

they really do differ:

I loved UU (both) so much that I must have played them about 10 times
each! Arx however didn't last 2 hours on my hd. Terrible interface,
story completely incoherent, extremely unbalanced, buggy and no
atmosphere whatsoever (the latter being one of the major strengths of
the UU's!)
MM 4/5 were among my top ten rpgs ever :)