Elder Scrolls: Arena and DOSBox

Last response: in Video Games
June 16, 2005 5:55:39 AM

Has anyone been able to get Arena working under DosBox?. I am using version
..62 of DOSBox and version 2.0.62 Build 42 of D-Fend. My OS is Windows XP.
When I start Arena the screen goes black and DOSBox locks up. I've been
able to get other games to work (like Ultima Underworld 1.) Any help or
suggestions are appreciated. Please post your replies to this group. Now
I'll go back to lurking. TIA
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 5:55:40 AM

Knight37 wrote:
> "Diabolical Mr. Z" <rob_z5937@yahoo.com> once tried to test me with:
>
> > Has anyone been able to get Arena working under DosBox?. I am using
> > version .62 of DOSBox and version 2.0.62 Build 42 of D-Fend. My OS is
> > Windows XP. When I start Arena the screen goes black and DOSBox locks
> > up. I've been able to get other games to work (like Ultima Underworld
> > 1.) Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Please post your
> > replies to this group. Now I'll go back to lurking. TIA
>
> I think the question should be... why would you WANT to?
>
> Arena was dire. And I don't mean that in a good way.

I enjoyed it.

Laszlo
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 6:35:32 AM

"Diabolical Mr. Z" <rob_z5937@yahoo.com> once tried to test me with:

> Has anyone been able to get Arena working under DosBox?. I am using
> version .62 of DOSBox and version 2.0.62 Build 42 of D-Fend. My OS is
> Windows XP. When I start Arena the screen goes black and DOSBox locks
> up. I've been able to get other games to work (like Ultima Underworld
> 1.) Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Please post your
> replies to this group. Now I'll go back to lurking. TIA

I think the question should be... why would you WANT to?

Arena was dire. And I don't mean that in a good way.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
June 16, 2005 10:01:54 AM

I liked Arena a LOT. Of course I wouldn't play it now, I've had a few
of those nostalgia moments and tried replaying some old games thinking
they would be as great as I remembered them ... not quite. Good
memories are good at what they are ... memories.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 11:33:18 AM

Xocyll wrote:
> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu looked up from reading the entrails of the
> porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>

> >Knight37 wrote:
> >> "Diabolical Mr. Z" <rob_z5937@yahoo.com> once tried to test me with:

> >> I think the question should be... why would you WANT to?
> >>
> >> Arena was dire. And I don't mean that in a good way.
> >
> >I enjoyed it.
>
> Ditto.
>
> For the time it was a great game.
>
> Ok the random dungeon had very few possible layouts and that was a bit
> boring, but it was nice to _finally_ be able to actually bore your way
> through walls (a la D&D passwall) instead of just following along the
> corridor.
>
> Has any other game done that yet?

Well, most roguelikes like ADOM. Other than that, not that I know of
(except in very specific places, as gimmicks).

Laszlo
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 1:44:59 PM

On 16 Jun 2005 07:33:18 -0700, laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

>Xocyll wrote:
>> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu looked up from reading the entrails of the
>> porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>> >I enjoyed it.
>>
>> Ditto.
>>
>> For the time it was a great game.
>>
>> Ok the random dungeon had very few possible layouts and that was a bit
>> boring, but it was nice to _finally_ be able to actually bore your way
>> through walls (a la D&D passwall) instead of just following along the
>> corridor.
>>
>> Has any other game done that yet?
>
>Well, most roguelikes like ADOM. Other than that, not that I know of
>(except in very specific places, as gimmicks).
>
>Laszlo

What about the original Bard's Tale games. I recall using a passwall
spell used there to good effect. Actually I remember being thwarted when
trying to be tricky in using it to bypass some places but mostly it worked
as expected.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 01:55:39 GMT, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, "Diabolical
Mr. Z" <rob_z5937@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Has anyone been able to get Arena working under DosBox?. I am using version
>.62 of DOSBox and version 2.0.62 Build 42 of D-Fend. My OS is Windows XP.
>When I start Arena the screen goes black and DOSBox locks up. I've been
>able to get other games to work (like Ultima Underworld 1.) Any help or
>suggestions are appreciated. Please post your replies to this group. Now
>I'll go back to lurking. TIA

Based on posts by players in Bethesda's 'Past Games' forum, a lot of people
have Arena working under DosBox. :)

If you don't get a solution here, try that forum: Bethesda's forums are at
<http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/&gt;.

Read the pinned thread in the Past Games forum first, as that has some tips
for installing and playing Arena which might help.

(I haven't played Arena since it first came out, so I can't help you get it
running; but I know there are other people playing it and discussing it in
that forum who may be able to get your problems sorted out.)

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

TANSTAAFL! (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!) R.A.H.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 2:14:12 AM

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu looked up from reading the entrails of the
porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>Knight37 wrote:
>> "Diabolical Mr. Z" <rob_z5937@yahoo.com> once tried to test me with:
>>
>> > Has anyone been able to get Arena working under DosBox?. I am using
>> > version .62 of DOSBox and version 2.0.62 Build 42 of D-Fend. My OS is
>> > Windows XP. When I start Arena the screen goes black and DOSBox locks
>> > up. I've been able to get other games to work (like Ultima Underworld
>> > 1.) Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Please post your
>> > replies to this group. Now I'll go back to lurking. TIA
>>
>> I think the question should be... why would you WANT to?
>>
>> Arena was dire. And I don't mean that in a good way.
>
>I enjoyed it.

Ditto.

For the time it was a great game.

Ok the random dungeon had very few possible layouts and that was a bit
boring, but it was nice to _finally_ be able to actually bore your way
through walls (a la D&D passwall) instead of just following along the
corridor.

Has any other game done that yet?

Xocyll
June 17, 2005 5:35:23 AM

"Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "Diabolical Mr. Z" <rob_z5937@yahoo.com> once tried to test me with:
>
>> Has anyone been able to get Arena working under DosBox?. I am using
>> version .62 of DOSBox and version 2.0.62 Build 42 of D-Fend. My OS is
>> Windows XP. When I start Arena the screen goes black and DOSBox locks
>> up. I've been able to get other games to work (like Ultima Underworld
>> 1.) Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Please post your
>> replies to this group. Now I'll go back to lurking. TIA
>
> I think the question should be... why would you WANT to?
>
> Arena was dire. And I don't mean that in a good way.

/disagree. Arena is one of my all-time favorites. I rate it above both
Morrowind and Daggerfall (though as is obvious, some would say neither are
high praise... I liked them all). Though I would have to admit going back
to try to play it nowdays is painful. I'm a graphics freak, what can I say?

Anyway, to answer the earlier question, yes I've been able to play Arena in
DOSBox v0.61 on Windows XP just fine. Not really sure what to do to fix it
really. But just in case it is a driver mapping problem, my working
environment uses the following settings on starting DOSBox:

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T4
SET ULTRASND=240,3,3,5,5
SET ULTRADIR=C:\ULTRASND
MOUNT C C:\
CD ARENA
ARENA
September 24, 2009 4:42:14 PM

on xp, i used the dos box game launcher which only required that i "mount" the exe file using the add
profile function in the game launcher gui. on vista i can't get the launcher to work, however doxbox
works just fine.

it is easiest to invoke dos games if you

move dosbox to its own file on c:
move all dos games into the dosroot folder inside the dosbox file folder

start dosbox
when you get the z:\ prompt,

"mount c c:\dosbox\dosroot\GAMEFOLDERNAME"
"c:"

you will get a c:\ prompt

"a"

on my computer, my mount drive statement is:

"mount c c:\dosbox\dosroot\arena"

you're welcome in advance, xrmauk@yahoo.com
September 24, 2009 9:25:36 PM

xrmauk said:
you're welcome in advance,

In advance? that thread is freaking 4 years old.
!