What Was The Instrument in "Suspicion"?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
January 18, 2005 5:01:44 PM

Driving me crazy. Anyone out there remember the name of the electronic
keyboard that was used in the early Sixties hit by Terry Stafford
called "Suspicion"? It almost could achieve a backwards effect....tried
doing searches on Google and can't find anything...

Thanks

TH

More about : instrument suspicion

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 12:26:48 AM

t...@aerovons.com wrote:
> Driving me crazy. Anyone out there remember the name of the
electronic
> keyboard that was used in the early Sixties hit by Terry Stafford
> called "Suspicion"? It almost could achieve a backwards
effect....tried
> doing searches on Google and can't find anything...
>
> Thanks
>
> TH

Theremin?

MIkey Wozniak
Nova Music Productions
This sig is haiku
January 19, 2005 1:09:14 AM

No, more esoteric than that. I read the name once and can't place it.
Not a Chamberlain or Mellotron, long before those...it was something
very odd...

Someone must know! ;)
January 19, 2005 5:05:36 AM

A Magnus chord organ?
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 9:22:27 AM

On 18 Jan 2005 22:09:14 -0800, tom@aerovons.com wrote:

>No, more esoteric than that. I read the name once and can't place it.
>Not a Chamberlain or Mellotron, long before those...it was something
>very odd...
>
>Someone must know! ;)

A '69 Moletron! Ref: the movie _Southlander_ with Beth Orton,
Hank Williams III and Beck Hansen in supporting roles and a cameo
by Elliott Smith.

Some folks in this newsgroup will like this movie. You know
who you are.

Chris Hornbeck
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 10:41:07 AM

On 2005-01-18, tom@aerovons.com <tom@aerovons.com> wrote:

> Driving me crazy. Anyone out there remember the name of the electronic
> keyboard that was used in the early Sixties hit by Terry Stafford
> called "Suspicion"? It almost could achieve a backwards effect....tried
> doing searches on Google and can't find anything...

A Chamberlin? And/or a Mellotron? Sounds more like a harmonium or a
reed organ to me.
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 11:03:53 AM

On 2005-01-19, tom@aerovons.com <tom@aerovons.com> wrote:

> No, more esoteric than that. I read the name once and can't place it.
> Not a Chamberlain or Mellotron, long before those...it was something
> very odd...

The song was released in '64, there'd been Chamberlin's for 10 years.
But I hear a singer, a muted trumpet, a choir, drums, a bass, and some
kind of shiddy organ, maybe an old Farfisa? Something cheesy like that.

Esoteric? In '64 there's really not much it can be. It does appear to
be polyphonic and have quite a range, though, and it has electronic vibrato.

My money's on Farfisa/CMI/Compact organ.
January 19, 2005 11:44:10 AM

No it wasn't any kind of organ. I think I'll go try to find the release
on Rhino and maybe they will mention it in the liner notes...

The Chamberlain hadn't been around for 10 years in 1964 either! ;)
It's a real cheesy sound but works really well in this record....
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 11:47:11 AM

<tom@aerovons.com> wrote in message
> No, more esoteric than that. I read the name once and can't place it.
> Not a Chamberlain or Mellotron, long before those...it was something
> very odd...
>
> Someone must know! ;)

Might it have been a Trautonium?

Peace,
Paul
January 19, 2005 11:47:54 AM

Wow Paul, it wasn't a Trautonium, but that's one wild instrument!
Looked it up on Google and there's a page with sound samples...amazing
they were experimenting with stuff like that so long ago!
January 19, 2005 12:39:14 PM

"Not really amazing. After all it WAS the "Space Age".

No the Trautonium was around a couple decades before the "space
age"...that's what is spooky....
January 19, 2005 2:11:13 PM

Wow that's wild. Just read something that said the first one was given
to someone in 1962, but then found what you are talking about...1940s
vintage! The first real sampler...
I will let everyone know when I find out what this thing is/was!

Tom
January 19, 2005 7:53:50 PM

tom@aerovons.com writes:
>Wow Paul, it wasn't a Trautonium, but that's one wild instrument!
>Looked it up on Google and there's a page with sound samples...amazing
>they were experimenting with stuff like that so long ago!

Not really amazing. After all it WAS the "Space Age".
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 9:13:35 PM

On 2005-01-19, tom@aerovons.com <tom@aerovons.com> wrote:

> The Chamberlain hadn't been around for 10 years in 1964 either! ;)

The first Chamberlin was built in 1951, the first prototype in 1946,
not that they were *ever* available, and the keyboard on Suspicion
sounds like some sort of reed organ with vibrato, but I'd also like
to know what it is for sure.
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 10:32:40 PM

james of tucson wrote:

> On 2005-01-18, tom@aerovons.com <tom@aerovons.com> wrote:
>
> > Driving me crazy. Anyone out there remember the name of the electronic
> > keyboard that was used in the early Sixties hit by Terry Stafford
> > called "Suspicion"? It almost could achieve a backwards effect....tried
> > doing searches on Google and can't find anything...
>
> A Chamberlin? And/or a Mellotron? Sounds more like a harmonium or a
> reed organ to me.

Ondioline. Maybe. ;-)

LV
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 9:22:53 AM

>>>Driving me crazy. Anyone out there remember the name of the electronic
>>>keyboard that was used in the early Sixties hit by Terry Stafford
>>>called "Suspicion"? It almost could achieve a backwards effect....tried
>>>doing searches on Google and can't find anything...
>>
>>A Chamberlin? And/or a Mellotron? Sounds more like a harmonium or a
>>reed organ to me.
>

> Ondioline. Maybe. ;-)
>
> LV

Or a Clavioline? Was a Clavioline polyphonic? I had one
for a while but it never worked.

Hammond Solovox maybe?

"Suspicion" is a f**king wierd record, that's for sure.
Those trumpets sound like buzzing bees.

John Noll
Retromedia Sound Studios
Red Bank, NJ