Sign in with
Your question

Wireless connection but no internet access until warmed up

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 1, 2013 4:03:26 PM

A few months ago, my family moved to a new apartment, and here we have AT&T U-verse internet connection and the router that AT&T provided; none of our computers have wired connections to it, because that would require stringing the network cables over doorways and/or across the ceiling. However, my parents' computers have had trouble getting internet access until they're warmed up - the system tray icons will indicate they have network connection, but when they try to visit an internet site (even Google), Firefox will say it can't find the server. Once one of their computers has been on for a while (I haven't timed it, but it seems like more than 5 minutes needed, and probably not more than 30), the internet works fine on that computer. I saw this for myself on my mom's computer this morning. I previously set DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 (Google's DNS) and 156.154.70.1 (DNSadvantage), but that apparently hasn't resolved the issue. Dad says he wasn't having trouble with this under Ubuntu, but now that I switched him to Windows 7, it has been happening on his computer as well.

In my room, I've got a desktop PC with a Rosewill RNX-N150HG usb wifi adapter, a Mac Mini (built-in wifi), a 2005 laptop PC (built-in wifi), and several gaming consoles, and haven't seen this issue on any of them.

My mom's computer is running Windows XP and has a ECS 945 GCT-M motherboard connected to a Cisco wireless bridge as well as a Rosewill RNX-N150HG usb wifi adapter. My dad's computer was changed from Ubuntu to Windows 7 and has a motherboard that was pulled out of a Gateway GT5676 connected to the same wireless bridge (which we bought because we couldn't get Ubuntu drivers for the usb wifi adapter).

I'm hesitant to get a powerline network adapter, because I think the pair I used for a while in our previous apartment was responsible for the death of a router (the router started only acting as a hub, and iirc wasn't accessible when I visited its ip address).

Any ideas what might be causing this, and what I can do about it (besides just living with needing to wait for the computers to warm up before accessing the internet)?
January 1, 2013 4:54:17 PM

From the desription of what you posted the issue to me looks like it's old compuers that need to take time to start up. Because your not having issues with the internt and once the parents computers are warnmed up they are also not having issues with the internet it points to the individual computers that may be old and the hard drives may be cluttered with registry errors.
You can try several things to trouble shoot , one would be to get a long ethernet cable to use as a jumper and connect it to the router and then to each of the olc computers one at a time to see if that makes any difference. This is a test and not a perminent solution.
Since these two computers take a long time to warm up you should go into the start menu and turn off un-needed programs from starting and just have the very neccessary programs load.
Defrag the hard drives.
Get a new wireless adapter and see if it makes a difference in connecting.

You can choose to do all of these or just some of them , it's up to you and how much your willing to spend on this.
January 1, 2013 5:38:08 PM

Dad's Windows 7 install is only about a month old, so it shouldn't have much in the way of registry errors or fragmentation yet. Mom's WinXP install is several years old, but I'm not sure if I should trust a registry cleaner, and she still uses Juno for email, which complicates backing up her user data for doing a clean install. Getting a long ethernet cable for testing sounds good. I'll do that tomorrow because I'm not sure Central Computer is open today (and I'm doing other things today), but I was thinking of getting her a new case with front USB ports anyway.
Related resources
January 1, 2013 5:44:53 PM

I would not use a registry cleaner either I was just making a suggestion as to why the computer may be slow in starting. There are safe things that you can do to try and speed things up a little. The start menu is one and a good defrag is another , sometimes I do several one after another to get it straight.
January 2, 2013 12:14:12 AM

Cleaning out startup items didn't help, and I found out it took about 15 minutes between system start and being able to reach google. However, I decided to try disconnecting Mom's computer from the wireless bridge (so that it was only using the usb wireless adapter), and after leaving the computer turned off for at least 10 minutes before turning it back on, I was able to reach google pretty much immediately. I don't understand how that could have fixed it, but I will wait and see if the problem happens again for her.
!