PCI interfaces with ADAT

Last response: in Home Audio
January 17, 2005 2:05:52 PM

Anyone ever seen a PCI card for a computer that has nothing but one or more
ADAT in/out jacks? I have found plenty of external sound interfaces with
ADAT along with analog and other digital in's/out's, but I can't find
anything as simple as this. Think along the lines of adding a Firewire or
USB 2.0 PCI card to a PC. Just a plain jane PCI card with ADAT in's and
out's on the riser bracket, nothing fancy. Seems like for people that do
digital multi-track recording that don't need analog or other types of
digital interfaces that there would be a great market for something simple
like this?

-Ben

More about : pci interfaces adat

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 7:52:11 PM

Daniel Fuchs wrote:
> > Anyone ever seen a PCI card for a computer that has nothing but one
or more
> > ADAT in/out jacks?
>
> There are a number of such products.
>
> - Marian Marc A (1 ADAT I/O)
> - RME Digi 96/8 PAD (1 ADAT & analog I/O)
> - RME Hammerfall 9636 (2 ADAT I/O & SPDIF)
> - RME HDSP 9652 (3 ADAT I/O & SPDIF)
>
> There are others, from M-Audio, Lynx, Korg, Sonorus (some of these no
> longer available).
>
> Not a new idea, I'm afraid... ;-)
>
> Daniel

Frontier's Dakota and Wavecenter cards.

Some of the earlier cards are no longer supported
(OS and/or drivers) such as the Sonorus and
Alesis' ADAT Edit and the Lexicon Core.

rd
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 9:16:45 PM

Ben Hanson wrote:
> Anyone ever seen a PCI card for a computer that has nothing but one or more
> ADAT in/out jacks? I have found plenty of external sound interfaces with
> ADAT along with analog and other digital in's/out's, but I can't find
> anything as simple as this. Think along the lines of adding a Firewire or
> USB 2.0 PCI card to a PC. Just a plain jane PCI card with ADAT in's and
> out's on the riser bracket, nothing fancy. Seems like for people that do
> digital multi-track recording that don't need analog or other types of
> digital interfaces that there would be a great market for something simple
> like this?
>
> -Ben

Event EZ8

http://www.event1.com/Products/Digital/EZ8.html
January 19, 2005 12:35:56 AM

In article <41ebe743@mustang.speedfactory.net> transparency_76@hotmail.com writes:

> Anyone ever seen a PCI card for a computer that has nothing but one or more
> ADAT in/out jacks? I have found plenty of external sound interfaces with
> ADAT along with analog and other digital in's/out's, but I can't find
> anything as simple as this.

I was thinking of the Frontier Design Wavecenter PCI, but that has a
S/PDIF coax connection, and MIDI, too. Once they design the basic
card, those things are easy enough to add so that they add value to
the product without adding to the cost, so essentially you're getting
them for free. People have been asking for a digital-only simple sound
card but it's just not worth making one - too many people want more
features.

> Seems like for people that do
> digital multi-track recording that don't need analog or other types of
> digital interfaces that there would be a great market for something simple
> like this?

A stereo output is kind of useful so you can use it to monitor your
mixing. How else are you going to know what you're doing? You need to
give more thought to the process and you'll see that some of these
manufacturers really do know what they're doing.

January 19, 2005 1:39:03 AM

> In article <41ebe743@mustang.speedfactory.net> transparency_76@hotmail.com
writes:

> > Anyone ever seen a PCI card for a computer that has nothing but one or
more
> > ADAT in/out jacks? I have found plenty of external sound interfaces with
> > ADAT along with analog and other digital in's/out's, but I can't find
> > anything as simple as this.
>
> I was thinking of the Frontier Design Wavecenter PCI, but that has a
> S/PDIF coax connection, and MIDI, too. Once they design the basic
> card, those things are easy enough to add so that they add value to
> the product without adding to the cost, so essentially you're getting
> them for free.

The S/PDIF and MIDI connections don't get in the way, though. I've been
using a Frontier Design Dakota (the 16-channel version of the Wavecenter)
along with a Montana "daughter" card for 16 more channels for years, now,
and I've never used the MIDI connection and maybe once used the S/PDIF one.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 3:30:05 AM

Hi,

> Anyone ever seen a PCI card for a computer that has nothing but one or more
> ADAT in/out jacks? I have found plenty of external sound interfaces with
> ADAT along with analog and other digital in's/out's, but I can't find
> anything as simple as this. Think along the lines of adding a Firewire or
> USB 2.0 PCI card to a PC. Just a plain jane PCI card with ADAT in's and
> out's on the riser bracket, nothing fancy. Seems like for people that do
> digital multi-track recording that don't need analog or other types of
> digital interfaces that there would be a great market for something simple
> like this?

There are a number of such products.

- Marian Marc A (1 ADAT I/O)
- RME Digi 96/8 PAD (1 ADAT & analog I/O)
- RME Hammerfall 9636 (2 ADAT I/O & SPDIF)
- RME HDSP 9652 (3 ADAT I/O & SPDIF)

There are others, from M-Audio, Lynx, Korg, Sonorus (some of these no
longer available).

Not a new idea, I'm afraid... ;-)

Daniel
January 19, 2005 9:22:56 AM

Is there such a thing as an ADAT interface for laptops that isn't part
of some large breakout box?
I know m-audio has one with their 1814 breakout box but does anything
internal exist? That could be useful.

Hal Laurent wrote:
> "Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote in message
> >
> > In article <41ebe743@mustang.speedfactory.net>
transparency_76@hotmail.com
> writes:
> >
> > > Anyone ever seen a PCI card for a computer that has nothing but
one or
> more
> > > ADAT in/out jacks? I have found plenty of external sound
interfaces with
> > > ADAT along with analog and other digital in's/out's, but I can't
find
> > > anything as simple as this.
> >
> > I was thinking of the Frontier Design Wavecenter PCI, but that has
> > S/PDIF coax connection, and MIDI, too. Once they design the basic
> > card, those things are easy enough to add so that they add value to
> > the product without adding to the cost, so essentially you're
getting
> > them for free.
>
> The S/PDIF and MIDI connections don't get in the way, though. I've
been
> using a Frontier Design Dakota (the 16-channel version of the
Wavecenter)
> along with a Montana "daughter" card for 16 more channels for years,
now,
> and I've never used the MIDI connection and maybe once used the
S/PDIF one.

> Hal Laurent
> Baltimore
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 10:05:24 AM

In article <41ED9BFD.A6F77286@stud.uni-goettingen.de> dfuchs@stud.uni-goettingen.de writes:

> > Anyone ever seen a PCI card for a computer that has nothing but one or more
> > ADAT in/out jacks?

> There are a number of such products.
>
> - Marian Marc A (1 ADAT I/O)

That looks like what he's asking for, but I've never heard of it.

> - RME Digi 96/8 PAD (1 ADAT & analog I/O)
> - RME Hammerfall 9636 (2 ADAT I/O & SPDIF)
> - RME HDSP 9652 (3 ADAT I/O & SPDIF)

Those all have one or more ADAT I/O, but all have something else
(which is different from "nothing else")

January 19, 2005 10:38:42 AM

"Daniel Fuchs" <dfuchs@stud.uni-goettingen.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
>> Anyone ever seen a PCI card for a computer that has nothing but one
>> or more ADAT in/out jacks? I have found plenty of external sound
>> interfaces with ADAT along with analog and other digital in's/out's,
>> but I can't find anything as simple as this. Think along the lines
>> of adding a Firewire or USB 2.0 PCI card to a PC. Just a plain jane
>> PCI card with ADAT in's and out's on the riser bracket, nothing
>> fancy. Seems like for people that do digital multi-track recording
>> that don't need analog or other types of digital interfaces that
>> there would be a great market for something simple like this?
>
> There are a number of such products.
>
> - Marian Marc A (1 ADAT I/O)
> - RME Digi 96/8 PAD (1 ADAT & analog I/O)
> - RME Hammerfall 9636 (2 ADAT I/O & SPDIF)
> - RME HDSP 9652 (3 ADAT I/O & SPDIF)
>
> There are others, from M-Audio, Lynx, Korg, Sonorus (some of these no
> longer available).

Ironically, the Marian Marc A costs as much or more

http://www.cdrecordingsoftware.com/Merchant2/merchant.m...

than a Behringer BCA2000 which has all the extra analog and digital
connections that the OP didn't want.

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=26110&...

The other options cost as much or more than the Marian Marc A.

http://www.digitalaudiowave.com/index.asp?PageAction=VI...

http://macmidimusic.com/prod.itml/icOid/2883

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--RMEHDSP9652
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 3:09:05 PM

In article <pDkHd.11$ck3.3501@news.abs.net> laurent@charm.net writes:

> The S/PDIF and MIDI connections don't get in the way, though.

Of course they don't, and once the original poster accepts that, and
the fact that he isn't going to find an otherwise as good card chepaer
without "extras" he'll be OK with it. I was only showing that I
actually read what he wanted and acknowledged that my recommendation
had features that he doesn't plan on using.

I sense a "less has gotta cost less" belief, but that's often only
true for things that you build yourself.

January 19, 2005 6:27:29 PM

You are right Mike, those other features would be helpful in most
applications, but in this one in particular they truly are superfluous. The
ADAT in's on the sound card interface are being fed by the ADAT out's on a
Yamaha digital mixer, configured as direct out's for each input channel in
the signal routing setup of the console. So in this case I don't need to
monitor the recorded signal as it comes straight into the mixer and then
right back out again. As long as it isn't clipping it doesn't matter in this
case.

But, the other stuff can still be helpful to me and in any event it seems no
one makes that "plain" of a card as you pointed out so either way many of
these suggestions will work perfectly.

-Ben

> In article <pDkHd.11$ck3.3501@news.abs.net> laurent@charm.net writes:
>
> > The S/PDIF and MIDI connections don't get in the way, though.
>
> Of course they don't, and once the original poster accepts that, and
> the fact that he isn't going to find an otherwise as good card chepaer
> without "extras" he'll be OK with it. I was only showing that I
> actually read what he wanted and acknowledged that my recommendation
> had features that he doesn't plan on using.
>
> I sense a "less has gotta cost less" belief, but that's often only
> true for things that you build yourself.

January 19, 2005 11:37:50 PM

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:05:52 -0500, "Ben Hanson"
<transparency_76@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Anyone ever seen a PCI card for a computer that has nothing but one or more
>ADAT in/out jacks? I have found plenty of external sound interfaces with
>ADAT along with analog and other digital in's/out's, but I can't find
>anything as simple as this. Think along the lines of adding a Firewire or
>USB 2.0 PCI card to a PC. Just a plain jane PCI card with ADAT in's and
>out's on the riser bracket, nothing fancy. Seems like for people that do
>digital multi-track recording that don't need analog or other types of
>digital interfaces that there would be a great market for something simple
>like this?
>
>-Ben

Check here-
http://www.alesis.com/products/adatedit/

I think they still sell them, it is still advertised.
Randall
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 11:37:51 PM

"Abyssmal" <Yuhrott@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:05:52 -0500, "Ben Hanson"
> <transparency_76@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyone ever seen a PCI card for a computer that has nothing but one
>> or more ADAT in/out jacks? I have found plenty of external sound
>> interfaces with ADAT along with analog and other digital in's/out's,
>> but I can't find anything as simple as this. Think along the lines
>> of adding a Firewire or USB 2.0 PCI card to a PC. Just a plain jane
>> PCI card with ADAT in's and out's on the riser bracket, nothing
>> fancy. Seems like for people that do digital multi-track recording
>> that don't need analog or other types of digital interfaces that
>> there would be a great market for something simple like this?
>>
>> -Ben
>>
> Check here-
> http://www.alesis.com/products/adatedit/
>
> I think they still sell them, it is still advertised.

http://www.alesis.com/products/adatedit/

"PLEASE NOTE: ADAT EDIT/CONNECT will NOT support Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
However, it is compatible with Windows ME."
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 12:28:43 AM

Haha, I was just about to copy and paste the exact same text before I read
your post! Talk about old school!

-Ben

> "Abyssmal" <Yuhrott@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:05:52 -0500, "Ben Hanson"
> > <transparency_76@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Anyone ever seen a PCI card for a computer that has nothing but one
> >> or more ADAT in/out jacks? I have found plenty of external sound
> >> interfaces with ADAT along with analog and other digital in's/out's,
> >> but I can't find anything as simple as this. Think along the lines
> >> of adding a Firewire or USB 2.0 PCI card to a PC. Just a plain jane
> >> PCI card with ADAT in's and out's on the riser bracket, nothing
> >> fancy. Seems like for people that do digital multi-track recording
> >> that don't need analog or other types of digital interfaces that
> >> there would be a great market for something simple like this?
> >>
> >> -Ben
> >>
> > Check here-
> > http://www.alesis.com/products/adatedit/
> >
> > I think they still sell them, it is still advertised.
>
> http://www.alesis.com/products/adatedit/
>
> "PLEASE NOTE: ADAT EDIT/CONNECT will NOT support Windows 2000 or Windows
XP.
> However, it is compatible with Windows ME."

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 3:44:33 AM

In article <1106144576.356341.280790@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> jpayne@berrypr.com writes:

> Is there such a thing as an ADAT interface for laptops that isn't part
> of some large breakout box?

I've never seen one, but I thing I remember being told that one was
made. I think it was a concept that got passed by because the time
wasn't right. When companies were developing laptop audio interfaces,
it was usually stereo or at the most 4 channels on a PCMCIA card,
laptops weren't really fast enough to handle any more channels than
that, and the only device that used an ADAT optical interface was a
real ADAT. There just wasn't any reason to hook an ADAT to a laptop.

Now we're in the more-is-better, and even-better-if-it's-all-in-one
mode. If you had an ADAT interface to the computer, you'd need another
box with A/D and D/A converters anyway, so why not just build that box
with a Firewire interface on it and simplify things. Yeah, I know,
you really wanna use that $200 Behringer 8-channel mic preamp with the
ADAT output with your laptop.

January 20, 2005 8:39:35 AM

Garth D. Wiebe wrote:
> Ben Hanson wrote:
>
>> Anyone ever seen a PCI card for a computer that has nothing but one or
>> more
>> ADAT in/out jacks? I have found plenty of external sound interfaces with
>> ADAT along with analog and other digital in's/out's, but I can't find
>> anything as simple as this. Think along the lines of adding a Firewire or
>> USB 2.0 PCI card to a PC. Just a plain jane PCI card with ADAT in's and
>> out's on the riser bracket, nothing fancy. Seems like for people that do
>> digital multi-track recording that don't need analog or other types of
>> digital interfaces that there would be a great market for something
>> simple
>> like this?
>>
>> -Ben
>

> Event EZ8
>
> http://www.event1.com/Products/Digital/EZ8.html

Just one thing I want to mention about this. The Windows XP WDM driver,
v 1.02, has interface issues with some software applications. For
example, it works fine with FASoft n-Track Studio, but not Cool Edit /
Adobe Audition, or Celemony Melodyne. The way the problem manifests
itself is that it will show up as simply "EZ8" in the problem
applications, and you can't select the individual channels.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 3:04:15 PM

Recently, Mike Rivers <mrivers@d-and-d.com> posted:

> In article <41ED9BFD.A6F77286@stud.uni-goettingen.de>
> dfuchs@stud.uni-goettingen.de writes:
>
>>> Anyone ever seen a PCI card for a computer that has nothing but one
>>> or more ADAT in/out jacks?
>
>> There are a number of such products.
>>
>> - Marian Marc A (1 ADAT I/O)
>
> That looks like what he's asking for, but I've never heard of it.
>
>> - RME Digi 96/8 PAD (1 ADAT & analog I/O)
>> - RME Hammerfall 9636 (2 ADAT I/O & SPDIF)
>> - RME HDSP 9652 (3 ADAT I/O & SPDIF)
>
> Those all have one or more ADAT I/O, but all have something else
> (which is different from "nothing else")

I have the RME HDSP 9652, and I'd recommend it or the other RME offerings
for this application, even though they have "something else". Their
drivers work as advertised and the support from RME is great. It's not a
problem to simply not connect the "else" I/O.

Regards,

Neil
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 12:27:11 AM

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:59:19 -0500, "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com>
wrote:

>"Abyssmal" <Yuhrott@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:05:52 -0500, "Ben Hanson"
>> <transparency_76@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone ever seen a PCI card for a computer that has nothing but one
>>> or more ADAT in/out jacks? I have found plenty of external sound
>>> interfaces with ADAT along with analog and other digital in's/out's,
>>> but I can't find anything as simple as this. Think along the lines
>>> of adding a Firewire or USB 2.0 PCI card to a PC. Just a plain jane
>>> PCI card with ADAT in's and out's on the riser bracket, nothing
>>> fancy. Seems like for people that do digital multi-track recording
>>> that don't need analog or other types of digital interfaces that
>>> there would be a great market for something simple like this?
>>>
>>> -Ben
>>>
>> Check here-
>> http://www.alesis.com/products/adatedit/
>>
>> I think they still sell them, it is still advertised.
>
>http://www.alesis.com/products/adatedit/
>
>"PLEASE NOTE: ADAT EDIT/CONNECT will NOT support Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
>However, it is compatible with Windows ME."

Good tip.Thanks for clarifying.
Randall
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 12:27:12 AM

>>> Check here-
>>> http://www.alesis.com/products/adatedit/
>>>
>>> I think they still sell them, it is still advertised.
>>
>> http://www.alesis.com/products/adatedit/
>>
>> "PLEASE NOTE: ADAT EDIT/CONNECT will NOT support Windows 2000 or
>> Windows XP. However, it is compatible with Windows ME."
>>

> Good tip.Thanks for clarifying.

I think it's nature's way of saying that they are verging on being obsolete
and nobody wanted to pay to write new drivers.

It seems like Berhinger could sell a lot of ADA8000s as computer audio
interfaces if they come out with a $100 box that was just a USB-2 to ADAT
interface with no controls, bells or whistles. It would be like BCA2000 with
lots of parts pulled out.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 6:46:20 AM

>> > I think they still sell them, it is still advertised.
>>
>> http://www.alesis.com/products/adatedit/
>>
>> "PLEASE NOTE: ADAT EDIT/CONNECT will NOT support Windows 2000 or
>> Windows
> XP.
>> However, it is compatible with Windows ME."

You could also take a look at the MARIAN "MARC A":

http://marian.de/english/marc_a.htm

This one supports Win2000/XP though... ;-)

Haven´t tried it, but heard good about it.

Phil
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 3:15:55 PM

In article <41eec7a2$1@mustang.speedfactory.net> transparency_76@hotmail.com writes:

> You are right Mike, those other features would be helpful in most
> applications, but in this one in particular they truly are superfluous.

It turns out that I have heard of Marion, and they indeed make just
the card you want. I saw their newest box at the NAMM show yesterday
and it has even more features.

So if you want to hunt up a relatively unpopular (in the US anyway)
card just to avoid buying features you don't need, that's the one. On
the other hand, you probalby won't pay any more for a more popular
card which probably has become a fairly common surplus item and you'll
find it sooner.

January 24, 2005 5:59:43 AM

Ben Hanson wrote:

> Anyone ever seen a PCI card for a computer that has nothing but one or more
> ADAT in/out jacks? I have found plenty of external sound interfaces with
> ADAT along with analog and other digital in's/out's, but I can't find
> anything as simple as this. Think along the lines of adding a Firewire or
> USB 2.0 PCI card to a PC. Just a plain jane PCI card with ADAT in's and
> out's on the riser bracket, nothing fancy. Seems like for people that do
> digital multi-track recording that don't need analog or other types of
> digital interfaces that there would be a great market for something simple
> like this?
>
> -Ben

The TerraTec EWS88D is about as cheap as they get. Was, anyway -
that was before the exchange rate changed.

--
Les Cargill
!