SDRAM doesn't work on an ECS P6VAP-ME

Cosmo

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2003
Hi. I have this ECS P6VAP-ME motherboard which is working with a 128MB SDRAM unit. I bought a 512MB unit recently because I wanted to upgrade but whenever I turn my computer on with it, neither the Monitor or the Hard Disk kick in (only the fans work). Putting both memories together or switching slots didn't help either.

The weird part is that the memory works on another computer (which has an ECS P4IBAS). What could be wrong?

Btw, the only difference between the memories is that my 128MB only has black chips on one side, while the 512MB has chips on both sides. Oh, and the first one is from M-Tec, but the new has no brand.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Could be a density issue, or a BIOS issue. Screw it, it's the worst chipset for the PIII and a PC-Chips board (the worst board manufacturer), I'd break it in two and dance on it.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
I agree with Crash, it could just be that your mobo can't accept that density of RAM. Maybe a BIOS update will fix it, maybe not (check the manufactures's website).

On the other hand it could also be a power supply issue. It could be that adding that second RAM chip maxed out your 3.3 volt line.

I think that the RAM density is the true cause, but the power supply issue is something to consider as well.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.