Sprint! Follow-on to Sanyo 6400 wanted!!!!

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
April 21, 2004 6:39:27 PM

Sprint,

I called Sanyo and said that I sure would like a color screen,
speaker-phone version of the Sanyo 6400.

Sanyo said that Sprint hadn't ordered any to be made!

There are others on the Sprint PCS newsgroup that similarly love their
6200/6400s and the form factor and would likely love to buy a
follow-on!

Please, get that sort of model ordered from Sanyo! Thank you!
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 11:52:21 PM

In article <vrid80pgibmb6rg9eimp127b6oda7rud28@4ax.com>,
paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

> Sprint,
>
> I called Sanyo and said that I sure would like a color screen,
> speaker-phone version of the Sanyo 6400.
>
> Sanyo said that Sprint hadn't ordered any to be made!
>
> There are others on the Sprint PCS newsgroup that similarly love their
> 6200/6400s and the form factor and would likely love to buy a
> follow-on!
>
> Please, get that sort of model ordered from Sanyo! Thank you!

I should imagine that the additions you want would add to the size and
weight and cost of such a model, and that may have something to do with
its not being ordered.

And Sanyo is exactly right that it only makes what SprintPCS wants, the
day of cell phone manufacturers calling the shots is just about over. It
made the news today:

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_17/b3...
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 11:52:22 PM

"Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message

> I should imagine that the additions you want would add to the size and
> weight and cost of such a model, and that may have something to do with
> its not being ordered.
>
> And Sanyo is exactly right that it only makes what SprintPCS wants, the
> day of cell phone manufacturers calling the shots is just about over. It
> made the news today:
>
> http://yahoo.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_17/b3...

I saw that article- good post, Phil. From a business perspective, it only
makes sense- the cellular providers won't be buying phones that have
features they don't use, making the end product match up better to their
service (how many phones out there have a great feature crippled, because
its not supported by the carrier?). It could lead to slightly cheaper
phones down the road, and subsidy costs for the carriers won't be as harsh.
Unfortunately, for the consumer, this has some pretty significant downsides.
The biggest is that the phones will essentially be custom designed for a
particular carrier's network, making extra features difficult to migrate to
another carrier.
Related resources
April 22, 2004 1:30:37 AM

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:52:21 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
wrote:

>In article <vrid80pgibmb6rg9eimp127b6oda7rud28@4ax.com>,
> paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:
>
>> Sprint,
>>
>> I called Sanyo and said that I sure would like a color screen,
>> speaker-phone version of the Sanyo 6400.
>>
>> Sanyo said that Sprint hadn't ordered any to be made!
>>
>> There are others on the Sprint PCS newsgroup that similarly love their
>> 6200/6400s and the form factor and would likely love to buy a
>> follow-on!
>>
>> Please, get that sort of model ordered from Sanyo! Thank you!
>
>I should imagine that the additions you want would add to the size and
>weight and cost of such a model, and that may have something to do with
>its not being ordered.

Color display wouldn't add to the size. The plastic screen coating can
also now double as a speaker. Battery power density has also improved.
So, the form factor is still possible.
April 22, 2004 2:32:43 AM

wrote:

>In article <vrid80pgibmb6rg9eimp127b6oda7rud28@4ax.com>,
> paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:
>
>> Sprint,
>>
>> I called Sanyo and said that I sure would like a color screen,
>> speaker-phone version of the Sanyo 6400.
>>
>> Sanyo said that Sprint hadn't ordered any to be made!
>>
>> There are others on the Sprint PCS newsgroup that similarly love their
>> 6200/6400s and the form factor and would likely love to buy a
>> follow-on!
>>
>> Please, get that sort of model ordered from Sanyo! Thank you!
>

>And Sanyo is exactly right that it only makes what SprintPCS wants,

So, this consumer is asking Sprint to deliver what he wants!
So, Sprint, get on it!
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 6:35:47 AM

In article <4gbe80h1uol4ssm5h3oapbjjrjoe232eke@4ax.com>,
paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

> >I should imagine that the additions you want would add to the size and
> >weight and cost of such a model, and that may have something to do with
> >its not being ordered.
>
> Color display wouldn't add to the size. The plastic screen coating can
> also now double as a speaker. Battery power density has also improved.
> So, the form factor is still possible.

Easy to say, harder to engineer. and the weight? and the other factor:

Sanyo is exactly right that it only makes what SprintPCS wants, the
day of cell phone manufacturers calling the shots is just about over. It
made the news today:

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_17/b3...
April 22, 2004 6:35:48 AM

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 02:35:47 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
wrote:

>In article <4gbe80h1uol4ssm5h3oapbjjrjoe232eke@4ax.com>,
> paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:
>
>> >I should imagine that the additions you want would add to the size and
>> >weight and cost of such a model, and that may have something to do with
>> >its not being ordered.
>>
>> Color display wouldn't add to the size. The plastic screen coating can
>> also now double as a speaker. Battery power density has also improved.
>> So, the form factor is still possible.
>
>Easy to say, harder to engineer. and the weight? and the other factor:

Sorry you don't believe that it's possible. Weight wouldn't increase
that much.

>Sanyo is exactly right that it only makes what SprintPCS wants,

And I'm telling Sprint what I want. What customers want is what any
mobile carrier should deliver.

Should it be any different?
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 3:10:00 PM

In article <2afe809sc25ch7q9hmsd6rmo2ssifq54gi@4ax.com>,
paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 02:35:47 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
> wrote:

> >> Color display wouldn't add to the size. The plastic screen coating can
> >> also now double as a speaker. Battery power density has also improved.
> >> So, the form factor is still possible.
> >
> >Easy to say, harder to engineer. and the weight? and the other factor:
>
> Sorry you don't believe that it's possible. Weight wouldn't increase
> that much.

Easy to say.

Again you omit the URL that proves you wrong.

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_17/b3...
April 22, 2004 3:10:01 PM

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:10:00 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
wrote:

>In article <2afe809sc25ch7q9hmsd6rmo2ssifq54gi@4ax.com>,
> paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 02:35:47 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
>> wrote:

>> >Easy to say, harder to engineer. and the weight? and the other factor:
>>
>> Sorry you don't believe that it's possible. Weight wouldn't increase
>> that much.
>
>Easy to say.
>
>Again you omit the URL that proves you wrong.

Goodness, Robert! You're being silly by insisting that things don't
exist if there's no URL for them! I've already countered that
contention from you once!
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 5:17:18 PM

In article <kogf80tn8huhfp35r3ad87591ci7lp4iv5@4ax.com>,
paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:10:00 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <2afe809sc25ch7q9hmsd6rmo2ssifq54gi@4ax.com>,
> > paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

> >> Sorry you don't believe that it's possible. Weight wouldn't increase
> >> that much.
> >
> >Easy to say.
> >
> >Again you omit the URL that proves you wrong.
>
> Goodness, Robert! You're being silly by insisting that things don't
> exist if there's no URL for them! I've already countered that
> contention from you once!

Nope, and you again omit the URL, why?

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_17/b3...

Just cause you conceptualize something, doesn't make it true.
April 22, 2004 5:17:19 PM

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:17:18 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
wrote:

>In article <kogf80tn8huhfp35r3ad87591ci7lp4iv5@4ax.com>,
> paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:10:00 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
>> wrote:

>> >Easy to say.
>> >
>> >Again you omit the URL that proves you wrong.
>>
>> Goodness, Robert! You're being silly by insisting that things don't
>> exist if there's no URL for them! I've already countered that
>> contention from you once!
>
>Nope, and you again omit the URL, why?

Because your complaint that facts don't exist just because I don't
post references for them via URL.

I read some of these things on paper, and have provided specific
reference to one of them. Did you ever bother to check that reference?
(That proves how silly it is to insist that facts don't exist without
a URL!)

I'll give you a hint as to how to find the URL you're contesting
doesn't exist.

One of the companies that manufactures these things has a name that
starts with M, but is best known by a name starting with P.

Their product is variously known as Sound Window and Acoustic Panel.
Their touch panel version is known as the Acoustic Touch Panel.

Mass production ramp up was March.

Go forth and search and never insist that something doesn't exist
because I don't post a URL for it. You've now been disproven twice.
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 5:57:27 PM

In article <59if80pfas8kaqhdcoi13ieio7q1nji71f@4ax.com>,
paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:17:18 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <kogf80tn8huhfp35r3ad87591ci7lp4iv5@4ax.com>,
> > paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

> >> Goodness, Robert! You're being silly by insisting that things don't
> >> exist if there's no URL for them! I've already countered that
> >> contention from you once!
> >
> >Nope, and you again omit the URL, why?

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_17/b3...
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 7:03:24 PM

>And I'm telling Sprint what I want. What customers want is what any
>mobile carrier should deliver.

Well, let's use another analogy. If you come into my Cyber Cafe
(http://www.mocha-n-micro-chips.com) and order anything off the menu, we will
sell it to you. If on the other hand you order a hambuger, we will not sell it
to you. We don't sell hamburgers.

--
John S.
April 23, 2004 12:18:06 PM

On 22 Apr 2004 15:03:24 GMT, sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.)
wrote:

>>And I'm telling Sprint what I want. What customers want is what any
>>mobile carrier should deliver.
>>

>Well, let's use another analogy. If you come into my Cyber Cafe
>(http://www.mocha-n-micro-chips.com) and order anything off the menu, we will
>sell it to you. If on the other hand you order a hambuger, we will not sell it
>to you. We don't sell hamburgers.

Since you aren't in the business of selling hamburgers I wouldn't come
to your place to order hamburgers in the first place.
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 5:32:38 PM

In article <br5i80p96u3u9bednb72a58sr4rdjv62ff@4ax.com>,
paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

> On 22 Apr 2004 15:03:24 GMT, sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.)
> wrote:
>
> >>And I'm telling Sprint what I want. What customers want is what any
> >>mobile carrier should deliver.
> >>

> >Well, let's use another analogy. If you come into my Cyber Cafe
> >(http://www.mocha-n-micro-chips.com) and order anything off the menu, we
> >will
> >sell it to you. If on the other hand you order a hambuger, we will not sell
> >it
> >to you. We don't sell hamburgers.
>
> Since you aren't in the business of selling hamburgers I wouldn't come
> to your place to order hamburgers in the first place.

And Sprint is not making any color Sanyo 6400's.

How silly. He wants new version of a 6400 he says. Therefore he decides
its easy to do in the same form factor, based solely upon his hopes and
wishes.

It's not going to happen as SprintPCS wants phones that can generate
revenue from additional features.

Pictures - Picture Phone
ReadyLink
SMS

Your imaginary color 6400 would have none of those. Every new phone this
year has at least 2 of those features! No incentive for SprintPCS to
request Sanyo to design and produce your wished for color 6400 without
the new sources for revenue.
April 23, 2004 7:19:40 PM

Robert M. wrote:

> And Sprint is not making any color Sanyo 6400's.
>
> How silly. He wants new version of a 6400 he says. Therefore he decides
> its easy to do in the same form factor, based solely upon his hopes and
> wishes.
>
> It's not going to happen as SprintPCS wants phones that can generate
> revenue from additional features.
>
> Pictures - Picture Phone
> ReadyLink
> SMS
>
> Your imaginary color 6400 would have none of those. Every new phone this
> year has at least 2 of those features! No incentive for SprintPCS to
> request Sanyo to design and produce your wished for color 6400 without
> the new sources for revenue.

The VI600, actually. It has only one of those features.

I think the big problem with the 6400 form factor is that the battery
would be small. That's not to say it would be impossible. Nokia phones
have batteries that would nearly fit in a 6400 - leaving little room for
the rest of the phone's guts. They would have to have a very shallow
keypad to get the form factor and accommodate a battery sized like a
Nokia BLC-3. I don't think ReadyLink would be supported, without some
breakthrough in battery performance. SMS means nothing to battery life.
A camera could be fit in next to the antenna rail on the back of the
phone, making that bulge just a little wider.

I think it's possible. The big question would be whether Sprint needs
another candybar phone next to the RL2000, 3588i, PM6225, VI600, and
forthcoming 4920. The RL2000 is the rugged position, the 3588i takes the
entry level, PM6225 is the entry level camera, the VI600 is the entry
level vision, and the 4920 looks like a premium non-camera candybar,
being the only one of the lot with a decent screen. I suppose there
would be room for a VGA camera/Flash candybar - maybe even a video mail
product.

Here's what Sprint really should release:

http://www.sanyo.com/wireless/media_relations/sequin_co...

-mike
April 24, 2004 12:50:11 PM

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:32:38 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
wrote:

>In article <br5i80p96u3u9bednb72a58sr4rdjv62ff@4ax.com>,
> paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

>> >Well, let's use another analogy. If you come into my Cyber Cafe
>> >(http://www.mocha-n-micro-chips.com) and order anything off the menu, we
>> >will
>> >sell it to you. If on the other hand you order a hambuger, we will not sell
>> >it
>> >to you. We don't sell hamburgers.
>>
>> Since you aren't in the business of selling hamburgers I wouldn't come
>> to your place to order hamburgers in the first place.
>
>And Sprint is not making any color Sanyo 6400's.
>
>How silly. He wants new version of a 6400 he says. Therefore he decides
>its easy to do in the same form factor, based solely upon his hopes and
>wishes.

Robert,

Didn't you look up that reference you were told to search for?

So, I'll play Robert N. for the moment, and ask you, "What URL do you
have that says it's not possible?"
Anonymous
April 24, 2004 5:59:11 PM

In article <00sk805uqsb5k9p0b0nf1fm748532fgfu4@4ax.com>,
paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

> >How silly. He wants new version of a 6400 he says. Therefore he decides
> >its easy to do in the same form factor, based solely upon his hopes and
> >wishes.
>
> Robert,
>
> Didn't you look up that reference you were told to search for?

Sorry, I don't take orders from anyone other than my boss, my wife or my
mother.

> So, I'll play Robert N. for the moment, and ask you, "What URL do you
> have that says it's not possible?"

And what URL do you have that it is, other than your fantisizing.

It's not going to happen, it wouldnt generate ReadyLink, or PhoptoMail
income.

P.S. Who is Robert N.
April 25, 2004 11:17:35 AM

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 13:59:11 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
wrote:

>> Didn't you look up that reference you were told to search for?
>

>Sorry, I don't take orders from anyone other than my boss, my wife or my
>mother.

Strange that you think I gave you an order! You demand references from
people but don't bother to follow up!

>> So, I'll play Robert N. for the moment, and ask you, "What URL do you
>> have that says it's not possible?"
>
>And what URL do you have that it is, other than your fantisizing.

Look at the Nokia 3100 and tell me that what I want isn't possible.
(It's a speakerphone, but where's the speaker!?)

>It's not going to happen, it wouldnt generate ReadyLink, or PhoptoMail
>income.

Yet the Audiovox phone already exists (VI600). Perhaps it won't come
to pass, but at least this customer has a right to ask, and should
make his wishes known to his carrier. Should it be any other way?

(Evidently not, since you've never responded to that query. So why are
you being so negative about it?)
Anonymous
April 25, 2004 6:17:42 PM

In article <poan80p7d1f63iqjkpki3rrf28se5nplo2@4ax.com>,
paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 13:59:11 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
> wrote:
>

> >> Didn't you look up that reference you were told to search for?
> >

> >Sorry, I don't take orders from anyone other than my boss, my wife or my
> >mother.
>
> Strange that you think I gave you an order! You demand references from
> people but don't bother to follow up!
>

> >> So, I'll play Robert N. for the moment, and ask you, "What URL do you
> >> have that says it's not possible?"
> >
> >And what URL do you have that it is, other than your fantisizing.
>
> Look at the Nokia 3100 and tell me that what I want isn't possible.
> (It's a speakerphone, but where's the speaker!?)

Since when does Nokia make phones for Sanyo?

You write to Sprint, tell them your wishes, and we'll see how fast a
"Follow-on" to the Sanyo 6400 comes out.

Most folks prefer clam shell phones, which protect the screen from
breakage.
April 25, 2004 6:17:43 PM

rmarkoff@msn.com (Robert M.) wrote:
<<Most folks prefer clam shell phones, which protect the screen from
breakage. >>

Most, but not all. And those that don't shouldn't ever be completely
ignored in the marketplace.
April 26, 2004 1:24:35 PM

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 14:17:42 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
wrote:

>In article <poan80p7d1f63iqjkpki3rrf28se5nplo2@4ax.com>,
> paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

>> >Sorry, I don't take orders from anyone other than my boss, my wife or my
>> >mother.
>>
>> Strange that you think I gave you an order! You demand references from
>> people but don't bother to follow up!

>> >And what URL do you have that it is, other than your fantisizing.
>>
>> Look at the Nokia 3100 and tell me that what I want isn't possible.
>> (It's a speakerphone, but where's the speaker!?)
>
>Since when does Nokia make phones for Sanyo?

Think a little bit more broadly, Robert. Sanyo made slimmer phones
than anyone offered in the States, years ago. So, Nokia makes a small,
thin phone. So it must be easier, these days, to make smaller thinner
phones.

>You write to Sprint, tell them your wishes, and we'll see how fast a
>"Follow-on" to the Sanyo 6400 comes out.

Could be an 18 month development cycle.

>Most folks prefer clam shell phones, which protect the screen from
>breakage.

Nokia seems to be selling lots of "candy bars", including recent
offerings for SprintPCS, one of which is not a camera phone.

So the other poster rightly says "Don't ignore that market."
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 6:37:37 PM

<paul@wren.cc.kux.edu> wrote in message
> Sprint,
>
> I called Sanyo and said that I sure would like a color screen,
> speaker-phone version of the Sanyo 6400.
>
> Sanyo said that Sprint hadn't ordered any to be made!
>
> There are others on the Sprint PCS newsgroup that similarly love their
> 6200/6400s and the form factor and would likely love to buy a
> follow-on!
>
> Please, get that sort of model ordered from Sanyo! Thank you!

I know this isn't real, but look at this tease.
http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/phone/wireless/defs/scp6400....
I saw someone on ebay selling a 6400 using this bullcrap image.

dothemath
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 7:00:12 PM

In article <R89jc.42803$G_.35963@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>,
"dothemath" <bil462@youknow.com> wrote:

> I know this isn't real, but look at this tease.
> http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/phone/wireless/defs/scp6400....
> I saw someone on ebay selling a 6400 using this bullcrap image.
>
> dothemath

Monochrome LCD screen with adjustable contract and font size (120 ~ 128
dots); Screen Size: 25.188mm (W) ~ 23.508mm (H); 8 lines (7 text, 1
icon), 15 characters/line; PNG graphics capability; animation.

and picture of color screen. Oh well.
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 7:01:48 PM

In article <mk6q80ha130vr94tf9igd7jt7hh6lnrou8@4ax.com>,
paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

> >> Look at the Nokia 3100 and tell me that what I want isn't possible.
> >> (It's a speakerphone, but where's the speaker!?)
> >
> >Since when does Nokia make phones for Sanyo?
>
> Think a little bit more broadly, Robert. Sanyo made slimmer phones
> than anyone offered in the States, years ago. So, Nokia makes a small,
> thin phone. So it must be easier, these days, to make smaller thinner
> phones.
>
> >You write to Sprint, tell them your wishes, and we'll see how fast a
> >"Follow-on" to the Sanyo 6400 comes out.
>
> Could be an 18 month development cycle.

Check back here in 18 months, we'll see what happens.
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 7:02:32 PM

paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

> So the other poster rightly says "Don't ignore that market."

So far the market is one guy in Kansas.
April 26, 2004 7:02:33 PM

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:02:32 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
wrote:

>In article <mk6q80ha130vr94tf9igd7jt7hh6lnrou8@4ax.com>,
> paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:
>
>> So the other poster rightly says "Don't ignore that market."
>
>So far the market is one guy in Kansas.

Just because I'm the only one to speak out about it on the net doesn't
mean that, if it's available, I'd be the only one to buy it.

(You seem to like to post just to argue.)
April 26, 2004 7:02:34 PM

paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

<<Just because I'm the only one to speak out about it on the net doesn't
mean that, if it's available, I'd be the only one to buy it. >>

There are lots and lots of people who still prefer candy bar nokia-style
phones over flip phones. Just because clamshells are more popular,
doesn't mean that there isn't a solid market for the other. You are not
alone.... Phillipe just likes to post and argue because he has no life
of his own.
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 9:35:40 PM

In article <ohhq8055ds0ng9peuf6ggg7631kcekq8sc@4ax.com>,
paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:02:32 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <mk6q80ha130vr94tf9igd7jt7hh6lnrou8@4ax.com>,
> > paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:
> >
> >> So the other poster rightly says "Don't ignore that market."
> >
> >So far the market is one guy in Kansas.
>
> Just because I'm the only one to speak out about it on the net doesn't
> mean that, if it's available, I'd be the only one to buy it.
>
> (You seem to like to post just to argue.)

I was just going to say that about you.
April 26, 2004 10:45:31 PM

paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:
> Sprint,
>
> I called Sanyo and said that I sure would like a color screen,
> speaker-phone version of the Sanyo 6400.
>
> Sanyo said that Sprint hadn't ordered any to be made!
>
> There are others on the Sprint PCS newsgroup that similarly love their
> 6200/6400s and the form factor and would likely love to buy a
> follow-on!
>
> Please, get that sort of model ordered from Sanyo! Thank you!

Have you thought about the Nokia PM-6225?
It's a candybar phone with a color screen, vision, speaker phone, FM
radio, IR, MO-SMS, replaceable X-press on covers, camera and a really
nice form factor - not as thin as a 6400, but much shorter. I'm really
thinking about switching to this phone.
-mike
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 6:57:25 AM

I like "candy bar" phones. Especially the ones with the door that
flips over the keys.

Eric wrote:
> paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:
>
> <<Just because I'm the only one to speak out about it on the net doesn't
> mean that, if it's available, I'd be the only one to buy it. >>
>
> There are lots and lots of people who still prefer candy bar nokia-style
> phones over flip phones. Just because clamshells are more popular,
> doesn't mean that there isn't a solid market for the other. You are not
> alone.... Phillipe just likes to post and argue because he has no life
> of his own.

April 27, 2004 12:26:25 PM

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:35:40 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
wrote:

>In article <ohhq8055ds0ng9peuf6ggg7631kcekq8sc@4ax.com>,
> paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:02:32 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
>> wrote:

>> >So far the market is one guy in Kansas.
>>
>> Just because I'm the only one to speak out about it on the net doesn't
>> mean that, if it's available, I'd be the only one to buy it.
>>
>> (You seem to like to post just to argue.)
>
>I was just going to say that about you.

But, contrary to you, Robert Negative, I don't chide people for not
providing URLs or references, then not follow up on them.

Since my mother died long ago, you should feel lucky that yours is
still living! Does she know you behave this way on the net?
April 27, 2004 12:32:49 PM

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 18:45:31 GMT, Mike <spamtrap@zbuffer.com> wrote:

>paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:
>> Sprint,
>>
>> I called Sanyo and said that I sure would like a color screen,
>> speaker-phone version of the Sanyo 6400.
>>
>> Sanyo said that Sprint hadn't ordered any to be made!
>>
>> There are others on the Sprint PCS newsgroup that similarly love their
>> 6200/6400s and the form factor and would likely love to buy a
>> follow-on!
>>
>> Please, get that sort of model ordered from Sanyo! Thank you!
>
>Have you thought about the Nokia PM-6225?
>It's a candybar phone with a color screen, vision, speaker phone, FM
>radio, IR, MO-SMS, replaceable X-press on covers, camera and a really
>nice form factor - not as thin as a 6400, but much shorter. I'm really
>thinking about switching to this phone.
>-mike

If a follow on to the 6400, in the same form factor doesn't come out,
I may choose some alternative. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll be
checking them out at a Sprint PCS store, today.
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 3:06:05 PM

paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

> >Since when does Nokia make phones for Sanyo?
>
> Think a little bit more broadly, Robert. Sanyo made slimmer phones
> than anyone offered in the States, years ago. So, Nokia makes a small,
> thin phone. So it must be easier, these days, to make smaller thinner
> phones.
>
> >You write to Sprint, tell them your wishes, and we'll see how fast a
> >"Follow-on" to the Sanyo 6400 comes out.
>
> Could be an 18 month development cycle.
>
> >Most folks prefer clam shell phones, which protect the screen from
> >breakage.
>
> Nokia seems to be selling lots of "candy bars", including recent
> offerings for SprintPCS, one of which is not a camera phone.
>
> So the other poster rightly says "Don't ignore that market."

And Nokia makes phones for Sanyo since when?

Just because you want it, doesn't mean it will happen.
Are you a youngest child?
April 27, 2004 3:06:06 PM

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:06:05 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
wrote:

>In article <mk6q80ha130vr94tf9igd7jt7hh6lnrou8@4ax.com>,
> paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:
>
>> >Since when does Nokia make phones for Sanyo?
>>
>> Think a little bit more broadly, Robert. Sanyo made slimmer phones
>> than anyone offered in the States, years ago. So, Nokia makes a small,
>> thin phone. So it must be easier, these days, to make smaller thinner
>> phones.
>>
>> >You write to Sprint, tell them your wishes, and we'll see how fast a
>> >"Follow-on" to the Sanyo 6400 comes out.
>>
>> Could be an 18 month development cycle.
>>
>> >Most folks prefer clam shell phones, which protect the screen from
>> >breakage.
>>
>> Nokia seems to be selling lots of "candy bars", including recent
>> offerings for SprintPCS, one of which is not a camera phone.
>>
>> So the other poster rightly says "Don't ignore that market."
>
>And Nokia makes phones for Sanyo since when?

You have a very narrow focus! You've already been asked to think more
broadly, about just this topic and these cell phone makers, but you
refuse.

>Just because you want it, doesn't mean it will happen.
>Are you a youngest child?

No, but if someone doesn't ask for it, how is a carrier to know it's
wanted? Until you can respond to that question you have no right to
complain.

Are you a youngest child? Or do you feel you're a neglected middle
child?

You should cease complaining. Your suppositions have been countered
all along the way.
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 3:06:50 PM

paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:02:32 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <mk6q80ha130vr94tf9igd7jt7hh6lnrou8@4ax.com>,
> > paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:
> >
> >> So the other poster rightly says "Don't ignore that market."
> >
> >So far the market is one guy in Kansas.
>
> Just because I'm the only one to speak out about it on the net doesn't
> mean that, if it's available, I'd be the only one to buy it.

Fine, let us know when Sprint or Sanyo announces a 6400 follow-on.

Likely the 12th of Never.
April 27, 2004 3:06:51 PM

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:06:50 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
wrote:

>In article <ohhq8055ds0ng9peuf6ggg7631kcekq8sc@4ax.com>,
> paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:02:32 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
>> wrote:

>> >So far the market is one guy in Kansas.
>>
>> Just because I'm the only one to speak out about it on the net doesn't
>> mean that, if it's available, I'd be the only one to buy it.
>
>Fine, let us know when Sprint or Sanyo announces a 6400 follow-on.
>
>Likely the 12th of Never.

Strange. You don't object to the consumer asking for carrier for it,
but you chide the consumer for asking for it. Why?
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 5:31:09 PM

In article <6nns80l4rkk1fsq83kleueh45kcrm5b1ml@4ax.com>,
paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

PLONK the spoiled brat that wants a phone nobody makes.
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 5:33:26 PM

In article <gsns80l725cg415qc1jrj2a37qdfoke2ma@4ax.com>,
paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

> No, but if someone doesn't ask for it, how is a carrier to know it's
> wanted? Until you can respond to that question you have no right to
> complain.

So ask for it already, and let us know on the 12th of Never when the
6401 is released.
April 28, 2004 12:24:19 PM

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:31:09 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
wrote:

>In article <6nns80l4rkk1fsq83kleueh45kcrm5b1ml@4ax.com>,
> paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:
>
>PLONK the spoiled brat that wants a phone nobody makes.

Oh my God! Sound the alarm! A consumer has actually asked a company
for a product it doesn't yet make! Get the police. This is a dangerous
situation!

Seriously, Robert, since you aren't contributing any useful
information, I hope that this thread will be abandoned.
I certainly won't be looking at it, further.
April 30, 2004 1:25:22 AM

paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:
> Sprint,
>
> I called Sanyo and said that I sure would like a color screen,
> speaker-phone version of the Sanyo 6400.
>
> Sanyo said that Sprint hadn't ordered any to be made!
>
> There are others on the Sprint PCS newsgroup that similarly love their
> 6200/6400s and the form factor and would likely love to buy a
> follow-on!
>
> Please, get that sort of model ordered from Sanyo! Thank you!

Check out this Sanyo, released in Japan on Oct 23, 2003.

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C2173/
http://www.myphone.gr/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3667/...

The INFOBAR is a CDMA 2000 1x device with an 11mm thick magnesium alloy
case.

Looks like it's up your alley. Tell Sprint you want that.
-mike
Anonymous
April 30, 2004 1:45:41 AM

In article <6pekc.17644$e4.3910@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Mike <spamtrap@zbuffer.com> wrote:

> Check out this Sanyo, released in Japan on Oct 23, 2003.
>
> http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C2173/
> http://www.myphone.gr/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3667/...
> edium/cat/3031/page/
>
> The INFOBAR is a CDMA 2000 1x device with an 11mm thick magnesium alloy
> case.
>
> Looks like it's up your alley. Tell Sprint you want that.

Except:

Its not made by Sanyo.

It appears to have a monochrome screen.

It is 5.5 inches long. Longer than the 5.07" 6400.
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 5:09:37 AM

Its not imaginary. it already exists.

its just not for sprint and does not have a speaker phone (woopy)

all they have to do it put sprint guts in it. it would not cost "that" much

I would glady pay a premium for it

Except for taking pictures and speakerphone and ready link my sanyo 6400
does absolutely EVERYTHING any other current 3g phone does.

ANYTHING

Chris Taylor
http://www.zodiacreview.com/

> Your imaginary color 6400 would have none of those. Every new phone this
> year has at least 2 of those features! No incentive for SprintPCS to
> request Sanyo to design and produce your wished for color 6400 without
> the new sources for revenue.
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 5:15:35 AM

way way to thick.

:-(

Candybar to me is "candy bar"

that (nokia) is 5 candy bars :-) hehehe

Chris Taylor
http://www.zodiacreview.com/

"Mike" <spamtrap@zbuffer.com> wrote in message
> paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:
> > Sprint,
> >
> > I called Sanyo and said that I sure would like a color screen,
> > speaker-phone version of the Sanyo 6400.
> >
> > Sanyo said that Sprint hadn't ordered any to be made!
> >
> > There are others on the Sprint PCS newsgroup that similarly love their
> > 6200/6400s and the form factor and would likely love to buy a
> > follow-on!
> >
> > Please, get that sort of model ordered from Sanyo! Thank you!
>
> Have you thought about the Nokia PM-6225?
> It's a candybar phone with a color screen, vision, speaker phone, FM
> radio, IR, MO-SMS, replaceable X-press on covers, camera and a really
> nice form factor - not as thin as a 6400, but much shorter. I'm really
> thinking about switching to this phone.
> -mike

May 21, 2004 9:25:22 AM

Chris Taylor Jr wrote:
> way way to thick.
>
> :-(
>
> Candybar to me is "candy bar"
>
> that (nokia) is 5 candy bars :-) hehehe
>
> Chris Taylor
> http://www.zodiacreview.com/

The 6225 is the Milky Way to the 6400's Nestle Crunch.
^The highpoint of my USENET legacy, this post.^

-mike
May 21, 2004 12:31:51 PM

spamtrap@zbuffer.com (Mike) wrote:
<<The 6225 is the Milky Way to the 6400's Nestle Crunch. ^The highpoint
of my USENET legacy, this post.^
-mike>>

Which phone would be the Butterfinger?

Eric