Sprint! Follow-on to Sanyo 6400 wanted!!!!

Paul

Splendid

Sprint,

I called Sanyo and said that I sure would like a color screen,
speaker-phone version of the Sanyo 6400.

Sanyo said that Sprint hadn't ordered any to be made!

There are others on the Sprint PCS newsgroup that similarly love their
6200/6400s and the form factor and would likely love to buy a
follow-on!

Please, get that sort of model ordered from Sanyo! Thank you!

In article <vrid80pgibmb6rg9eimp127b6oda7rud28@4ax.com>,
paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

> Sprint,
>
> I called Sanyo and said that I sure would like a color screen,
> speaker-phone version of the Sanyo 6400.
>
> Sanyo said that Sprint hadn't ordered any to be made!
>
> There are others on the Sprint PCS newsgroup that similarly love their
> 6200/6400s and the form factor and would likely love to buy a
> follow-on!
>
> Please, get that sort of model ordered from Sanyo! Thank you!

I should imagine that the additions you want would add to the size and
weight and cost of such a model, and that may have something to do with
its not being ordered.

And Sanyo is exactly right that it only makes what SprintPCS wants, the
day of cell phone manufacturers calling the shots is just about over. It
made the news today:

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_17/b3880060.htm

"Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message

> I should imagine that the additions you want would add to the size and
> weight and cost of such a model, and that may have something to do with
> its not being ordered.
>
> And Sanyo is exactly right that it only makes what SprintPCS wants, the
> day of cell phone manufacturers calling the shots is just about over. It
> made the news today:
>
> http://yahoo.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_17/b3880060.htm

I saw that article- good post, Phil. From a business perspective, it only
makes sense- the cellular providers won't be buying phones that have
features they don't use, making the end product match up better to their
service (how many phones out there have a great feature crippled, because
its not supported by the carrier?). It could lead to slightly cheaper
phones down the road, and subsidy costs for the carriers won't be as harsh.
Unfortunately, for the consumer, this has some pretty significant downsides.
The biggest is that the phones will essentially be custom designed for a
particular carrier's network, making extra features difficult to migrate to
another carrier.

Paul

Splendid

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:52:21 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
wrote:

>In article <vrid80pgibmb6rg9eimp127b6oda7rud28@4ax.com>,
> paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:
>
>> Sprint,
>>
>> I called Sanyo and said that I sure would like a color screen,
>> speaker-phone version of the Sanyo 6400.
>>
>> Sanyo said that Sprint hadn't ordered any to be made!
>>
>> There are others on the Sprint PCS newsgroup that similarly love their
>> 6200/6400s and the form factor and would likely love to buy a
>> follow-on!
>>
>> Please, get that sort of model ordered from Sanyo! Thank you!
>
>I should imagine that the additions you want would add to the size and
>weight and cost of such a model, and that may have something to do with
>its not being ordered.

Color display wouldn't add to the size. The plastic screen coating can
also now double as a speaker. Battery power density has also improved.
So, the form factor is still possible.

wrote:

>In article <vrid80pgibmb6rg9eimp127b6oda7rud28@4ax.com>,
> paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:
>
>> Sprint,
>>
>> I called Sanyo and said that I sure would like a color screen,
>> speaker-phone version of the Sanyo 6400.
>>
>> Sanyo said that Sprint hadn't ordered any to be made!
>>
>> There are others on the Sprint PCS newsgroup that similarly love their
>> 6200/6400s and the form factor and would likely love to buy a
>> follow-on!
>>
>> Please, get that sort of model ordered from Sanyo! Thank you!
>

>And Sanyo is exactly right that it only makes what SprintPCS wants,

So, this consumer is asking Sprint to deliver what he wants!
So, Sprint, get on it!

In article <4gbe80h1uol4ssm5h3oapbjjrjoe232eke@4ax.com>,
paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

> >I should imagine that the additions you want would add to the size and
> >weight and cost of such a model, and that may have something to do with
> >its not being ordered.
>
> Color display wouldn't add to the size. The plastic screen coating can
> also now double as a speaker. Battery power density has also improved.
> So, the form factor is still possible.

Easy to say, harder to engineer. and the weight? and the other factor:

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 02:35:47 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
wrote:

>In article <4gbe80h1uol4ssm5h3oapbjjrjoe232eke@4ax.com>,
> paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:
>
>> >I should imagine that the additions you want would add to the size and
>> >weight and cost of such a model, and that may have something to do with
>> >its not being ordered.
>>
>> Color display wouldn't add to the size. The plastic screen coating can
>> also now double as a speaker. Battery power density has also improved.
>> So, the form factor is still possible.
>
>Easy to say, harder to engineer. and the weight? and the other factor:

Sorry you don't believe that it's possible. Weight wouldn't increase
that much.

>Sanyo is exactly right that it only makes what SprintPCS wants,

And I'm telling Sprint what I want. What customers want is what any
mobile carrier should deliver.

Should it be any different?

In article <2afe809sc25ch7q9hmsd6rmo2ssifq54gi@4ax.com>,
paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 02:35:47 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
> wrote:

> >> Color display wouldn't add to the size. The plastic screen coating can
> >> also now double as a speaker. Battery power density has also improved.
> >> So, the form factor is still possible.
> >
> >Easy to say, harder to engineer. and the weight? and the other factor:
>
> Sorry you don't believe that it's possible. Weight wouldn't increase
> that much.

Easy to say.

Again you omit the URL that proves you wrong.

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:10:00 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
wrote:

>In article <2afe809sc25ch7q9hmsd6rmo2ssifq54gi@4ax.com>,
> paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 02:35:47 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
>> wrote:

>> >Easy to say, harder to engineer. and the weight? and the other factor:
>>
>> Sorry you don't believe that it's possible. Weight wouldn't increase
>> that much.
>
>Easy to say.
>
>Again you omit the URL that proves you wrong.

Goodness, Robert! You're being silly by insisting that things don't
exist if there's no URL for them! I've already countered that
contention from you once!

In article <kogf80tn8huhfp35r3ad87591ci7lp4iv5@4ax.com>,
paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:10:00 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <2afe809sc25ch7q9hmsd6rmo2ssifq54gi@4ax.com>,
> > paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

> >> Sorry you don't believe that it's possible. Weight wouldn't increase
> >> that much.
> >
> >Easy to say.
> >
> >Again you omit the URL that proves you wrong.
>
> Goodness, Robert! You're being silly by insisting that things don't
> exist if there's no URL for them! I've already countered that
> contention from you once!

Nope, and you again omit the URL, why?

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_17/b3880060.htm

Just cause you conceptualize something, doesn't make it true.

Paul

Splendid

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:17:18 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
wrote:

>In article <kogf80tn8huhfp35r3ad87591ci7lp4iv5@4ax.com>,
> paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:10:00 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
>> wrote:

>> >Easy to say.
>> >
>> >Again you omit the URL that proves you wrong.
>>
>> Goodness, Robert! You're being silly by insisting that things don't
>> exist if there's no URL for them! I've already countered that
>> contention from you once!
>
>Nope, and you again omit the URL, why?

Because your complaint that facts don't exist just because I don't
post references for them via URL.

I read some of these things on paper, and have provided specific
reference to one of them. Did you ever bother to check that reference?
(That proves how silly it is to insist that facts don't exist without
a URL!)

I'll give you a hint as to how to find the URL you're contesting
doesn't exist.

One of the companies that manufactures these things has a name that
starts with M, but is best known by a name starting with P.

Their product is variously known as Sound Window and Acoustic Panel.
Their touch panel version is known as the Acoustic Touch Panel.

Mass production ramp up was March.

Go forth and search and never insist that something doesn't exist
because I don't post a URL for it. You've now been disproven twice.

In article <59if80pfas8kaqhdcoi13ieio7q1nji71f@4ax.com>,
paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:17:18 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <kogf80tn8huhfp35r3ad87591ci7lp4iv5@4ax.com>,
> > paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

> >> Goodness, Robert! You're being silly by insisting that things don't
> >> exist if there's no URL for them! I've already countered that
> >> contention from you once!
> >
> >Nope, and you again omit the URL, why?

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_17/b3880060.htm

>And I'm telling Sprint what I want. What customers want is what any
>mobile carrier should deliver.

Well, let's use another analogy. If you come into my Cyber Cafe
(http://www.mocha-n-micro-chips.com) and order anything off the menu, we will
sell it to you. If on the other hand you order a hambuger, we will not sell it
to you. We don't sell hamburgers.

--
John S.

Paul

Splendid

On 22 Apr 2004 15:03:24 GMT, sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.)
wrote:

>>And I'm telling Sprint what I want. What customers want is what any
>>mobile carrier should deliver.
>>

>Well, let's use another analogy. If you come into my Cyber Cafe
>(http://www.mocha-n-micro-chips.com) and order anything off the menu, we will
>sell it to you. If on the other hand you order a hambuger, we will not sell it
>to you. We don't sell hamburgers.

Since you aren't in the business of selling hamburgers I wouldn't come
to your place to order hamburgers in the first place.

In article <br5i80p96u3u9bednb72a58sr4rdjv62ff@4ax.com>,
paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

> On 22 Apr 2004 15:03:24 GMT, sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.)
> wrote:
>
> >>And I'm telling Sprint what I want. What customers want is what any
> >>mobile carrier should deliver.
> >>

> >Well, let's use another analogy. If you come into my Cyber Cafe
> >(http://www.mocha-n-micro-chips.com) and order anything off the menu, we
> >will
> >sell it to you. If on the other hand you order a hambuger, we will not sell
> >it
> >to you. We don't sell hamburgers.
>
> Since you aren't in the business of selling hamburgers I wouldn't come
> to your place to order hamburgers in the first place.

And Sprint is not making any color Sanyo 6400's.

How silly. He wants new version of a 6400 he says. Therefore he decides
its easy to do in the same form factor, based solely upon his hopes and
wishes.

It's not going to happen as SprintPCS wants phones that can generate
revenue from additional features.

Pictures - Picture Phone
ReadyLink
SMS

Your imaginary color 6400 would have none of those. Every new phone this
year has at least 2 of those features! No incentive for SprintPCS to
request Sanyo to design and produce your wished for color 6400 without
the new sources for revenue.

Mike

Splendid

Robert M. wrote:

> And Sprint is not making any color Sanyo 6400's.
>
> How silly. He wants new version of a 6400 he says. Therefore he decides
> its easy to do in the same form factor, based solely upon his hopes and
> wishes.
>
> It's not going to happen as SprintPCS wants phones that can generate
> revenue from additional features.
>
> Pictures - Picture Phone
> ReadyLink
> SMS
>
> Your imaginary color 6400 would have none of those. Every new phone this
> year has at least 2 of those features! No incentive for SprintPCS to
> request Sanyo to design and produce your wished for color 6400 without
> the new sources for revenue.

The VI600, actually. It has only one of those features.

I think the big problem with the 6400 form factor is that the battery
would be small. That's not to say it would be impossible. Nokia phones
have batteries that would nearly fit in a 6400 - leaving little room for
the rest of the phone's guts. They would have to have a very shallow
keypad to get the form factor and accommodate a battery sized like a
Nokia BLC-3. I don't think ReadyLink would be supported, without some
breakthrough in battery performance. SMS means nothing to battery life.
A camera could be fit in next to the antenna rail on the back of the
phone, making that bulge just a little wider.

I think it's possible. The big question would be whether Sprint needs
another candybar phone next to the RL2000, 3588i, PM6225, VI600, and
forthcoming 4920. The RL2000 is the rugged position, the 3588i takes the
entry level, PM6225 is the entry level camera, the VI600 is the entry
level vision, and the 4920 looks like a premium non-camera candybar,
being the only one of the lot with a decent screen. I suppose there
would be room for a VGA camera/Flash candybar - maybe even a video mail
product.

Here's what Sprint really should release:

http://www.sanyo.com/wireless/media_relations/sequin_covering.htm

-mike

Paul

Splendid

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:32:38 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
wrote:

>In article <br5i80p96u3u9bednb72a58sr4rdjv62ff@4ax.com>,
> paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

>> >Well, let's use another analogy. If you come into my Cyber Cafe
>> >(http://www.mocha-n-micro-chips.com) and order anything off the menu, we
>> >will
>> >sell it to you. If on the other hand you order a hambuger, we will not sell
>> >it
>> >to you. We don't sell hamburgers.
>>
>> Since you aren't in the business of selling hamburgers I wouldn't come
>> to your place to order hamburgers in the first place.
>
>And Sprint is not making any color Sanyo 6400's.
>
>How silly. He wants new version of a 6400 he says. Therefore he decides
>its easy to do in the same form factor, based solely upon his hopes and
>wishes.

Robert,

Didn't you look up that reference you were told to search for?

So, I'll play Robert N. for the moment, and ask you, "What URL do you
have that says it's not possible?"

In article <00sk805uqsb5k9p0b0nf1fm748532fgfu4@4ax.com>,
paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

> >How silly. He wants new version of a 6400 he says. Therefore he decides
> >its easy to do in the same form factor, based solely upon his hopes and
> >wishes.
>
> Robert,
>
> Didn't you look up that reference you were told to search for?

Sorry, I don't take orders from anyone other than my boss, my wife or my
mother.

> So, I'll play Robert N. for the moment, and ask you, "What URL do you
> have that says it's not possible?"

And what URL do you have that it is, other than your fantisizing.

It's not going to happen, it wouldnt generate ReadyLink, or PhoptoMail
income.

P.S. Who is Robert N.

Paul

Splendid

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 13:59:11 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
wrote:

>> Didn't you look up that reference you were told to search for?
>

>Sorry, I don't take orders from anyone other than my boss, my wife or my
>mother.

Strange that you think I gave you an order! You demand references from
people but don't bother to follow up!

>> So, I'll play Robert N. for the moment, and ask you, "What URL do you
>> have that says it's not possible?"
>
>And what URL do you have that it is, other than your fantisizing.

Look at the Nokia 3100 and tell me that what I want isn't possible.
(It's a speakerphone, but where's the speaker!?)

>It's not going to happen, it wouldnt generate ReadyLink, or PhoptoMail
>income.

Yet the Audiovox phone already exists (VI600). Perhaps it won't come
to pass, but at least this customer has a right to ask, and should
make his wishes known to his carrier. Should it be any other way?

(Evidently not, since you've never responded to that query. So why are
you being so negative about it?)

In article <poan80p7d1f63iqjkpki3rrf28se5nplo2@4ax.com>,
paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 13:59:11 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
> wrote:
>

> >> Didn't you look up that reference you were told to search for?
> >

> >Sorry, I don't take orders from anyone other than my boss, my wife or my
> >mother.
>
> Strange that you think I gave you an order! You demand references from
> people but don't bother to follow up!
>

> >> So, I'll play Robert N. for the moment, and ask you, "What URL do you
> >> have that says it's not possible?"
> >
> >And what URL do you have that it is, other than your fantisizing.
>
> Look at the Nokia 3100 and tell me that what I want isn't possible.
> (It's a speakerphone, but where's the speaker!?)

Since when does Nokia make phones for Sanyo?

You write to Sprint, tell them your wishes, and we'll see how fast a
"Follow-on" to the Sanyo 6400 comes out.

Most folks prefer clam shell phones, which protect the screen from
breakage.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

rmarkoff@msn.com (Robert M.) wrote:
<<Most folks prefer clam shell phones, which protect the screen from
breakage. >>

Most, but not all. And those that don't shouldn't ever be completely
ignored in the marketplace.

Paul

Splendid

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 14:17:42 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
wrote:

>In article <poan80p7d1f63iqjkpki3rrf28se5nplo2@4ax.com>,
> paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

>> >Sorry, I don't take orders from anyone other than my boss, my wife or my
>> >mother.
>>
>> Strange that you think I gave you an order! You demand references from
>> people but don't bother to follow up!

>> >And what URL do you have that it is, other than your fantisizing.
>>
>> Look at the Nokia 3100 and tell me that what I want isn't possible.
>> (It's a speakerphone, but where's the speaker!?)
>
>Since when does Nokia make phones for Sanyo?

Think a little bit more broadly, Robert. Sanyo made slimmer phones
than anyone offered in the States, years ago. So, Nokia makes a small,
thin phone. So it must be easier, these days, to make smaller thinner
phones.

>You write to Sprint, tell them your wishes, and we'll see how fast a
>"Follow-on" to the Sanyo 6400 comes out.

Could be an 18 month development cycle.

>Most folks prefer clam shell phones, which protect the screen from
>breakage.

Nokia seems to be selling lots of "candy bars", including recent
offerings for SprintPCS, one of which is not a camera phone.

So the other poster rightly says "Don't ignore that market."

<paul@wren.cc.kux.edu> wrote in message
> Sprint,
>
> I called Sanyo and said that I sure would like a color screen,
> speaker-phone version of the Sanyo 6400.
>
> Sanyo said that Sprint hadn't ordered any to be made!
>
> There are others on the Sprint PCS newsgroup that similarly love their
> 6200/6400s and the form factor and would likely love to buy a
> follow-on!
>
> Please, get that sort of model ordered from Sanyo! Thank you!

I know this isn't real, but look at this tease.
http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/phone/wireless/defs/scp6400.html
I saw someone on ebay selling a 6400 using this bullcrap image.

dothemath

In article <R89jc.42803$G_.35963@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>,
"dothemath" <bil462@youknow.com> wrote:

> I know this isn't real, but look at this tease.
> http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/phone/wireless/defs/scp6400.html
> I saw someone on ebay selling a 6400 using this bullcrap image.
>
> dothemath

Monochrome LCD screen with adjustable contract and font size (120 ~ 128
dots); Screen Size: 25.188mm (W) ~ 23.508mm (H); 8 lines (7 text, 1
icon), 15 characters/line; PNG graphics capability; animation.

and picture of color screen. Oh well.

In article <mk6q80ha130vr94tf9igd7jt7hh6lnrou8@4ax.com>,
paul@wren.cc.kux.edu wrote:

> >> Look at the Nokia 3100 and tell me that what I want isn't possible.
> >> (It's a speakerphone, but where's the speaker!?)
> >
> >Since when does Nokia make phones for Sanyo?
>
> Think a little bit more broadly, Robert. Sanyo made slimmer phones
> than anyone offered in the States, years ago. So, Nokia makes a small,
> thin phone. So it must be easier, these days, to make smaller thinner
> phones.
>
> >You write to Sprint, tell them your wishes, and we'll see how fast a
> >"Follow-on" to the Sanyo 6400 comes out.
>
> Could be an 18 month development cycle.

Check back here in 18 months, we'll see what happens.