Can't get miniPCIE wireless card to work in PC. Do I need antennas?

Ross11

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
I am not very good at the topic of wifi and wireless networking so it probably something simple that's wrong. I bought an intel centrino advanced-n 6235 for my PC. There is a slot for miniPCIE cards on my motherboard(Asus Maximus V Gene) and I set it up but it won't connect to the internet.

When I booted it up with the card for the first time it said a few of the drivers didn't install correctly. I downloaded any drivers I could find and done an check on intel.com after which said I have the newest drivers for it installed. If I go to network and sharing center->Change adapter settings it lists the wireless card there. All green bars are full at the symbol for the card but there is a red X next to it and it says not connected. It seems to indicate that everything is installed correctly because I can change the cards settings etc. but it won't get any connection. Any ideas what's wrong?

I have guessed it might be that I need an antenna as I did not fit any yet and also in the Asus Maximus V Gene manual part of the miniPCIE card setup shows antenna fitting as part of setup. Do I just need an antenna or should the card work anyway? Also if I need antennas do I need one or two?

Can you give some more information on your wireless network ? Are there other computers on your network ?

If you go to a computer that is currently connected to your wireless network and open the control panel. Select Network and Internet and then select Homegroup , then select Print and View the Homegroup Password. The next page will have your wireless network password.

What you may need to do is to enter the wireless password. Go to the network and sharing center and select join a network an follow the instructions.

Ross11

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
I have a wireless router that works fine with all laptops smartphones etc. and right now I am using a usb wireless adapter on the PC but it is slow sometimes with a usb adapter. The option to type our network password does not come up because it will not detect any networks. If I disable my usb wireless adapter then in the network panel nothing will show up and it will say no connections are available when I try to use the wireless card.

Yes, you need an antenna, or two, depending on the number of connections on the adapter. You'll be lucky to get a signal through the case without.

The red X usually means that the adapter is disabled or not working. Is there an option to trouble shoot because the red X should not be there if the adapter is enabled and you have the drivers loaded.

Ross11

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
It has a diagnose option but I haven't found out anything useful from troubleshooting or any other windows service. I think I will try setting up the PC right beside my router later on and see if it gets a signal.

Ross11

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012

I have been looking for places I can buy antennas online and there is literally none that have 802.11n support. I don't suppose you would know anywhere where I could buy one, preferably with 802.11n support. Also I live in Ireland so I can't buy from most US sites but it would be helpful even if you could find the name of a model that has 802.11n.