mmorpg wow, eq2, whatever

You know I started out very optimistic about Wow - so many here in
forum said it such a great game but to be frank, it aint no difference
from any other mmorpg I have played. Sure the graphics are nice, sure
there are lots of quests .. but it once again boils down to that the
Blizzard/Sony whatever want you to spend as much time as possible
playing the game. Blizzard do it more subtile than Sony of course,
just wasting precious time. It is easy to level in the beginning in
order to make people addicted so they later wont mind the grinding
later. After about level 20 in eq,daoc,eq2,wow,... there is no real
novility in playing. it is just so boring, dont know how you guys
manage to stick a game that long?

somebody said that I dont have mmorpg the mentality... well now I take
that more as a compliment.

/ajk
--
"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
Groucho Marx.

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 23:21:50 +0800, ajk wrote:

    > Blizzard do it more subtile than Sony of course,
    > just wasting precious time.

    Applying that logic, playing games in general is "just wasting precious
    time". As is watching TV, going to the theatre, reading light literature,
    and so on.

    > It is easy to level in the beginning in
    > order to make people addicted so they later wont mind the grinding
    > later. After about level 20 in eq,daoc,eq2,wow,... there is no real
    > novility in playing.

    WoW is easy all the way up to 60. Novelity in playing? How many games offer
    much novelity after you have played them for thirty hours?

    > it is just so boring, dont know how you guys
    > manage to stick a game that long?

    The value of a MMORPG lies solely in the interaction with other players.
    Party, join a guild, share adventures, do something together with other
    people. MMORPGs are social activities, and they are designed for that
    purpose. If you approach them like a single-player game or look for a
    sophisticated story, then yes, you'll get very little enjoyment out of
    them.

    > somebody said that I dont have mmorpg the mentality... well now I take
    > that more as a compliment.

    You're eating an orange and expect it to have the flavour of an apple.

    M.
    --
    ClamWin, an open source antivirus software for Windows:
    http://www.clamwin.com/

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 23:21:50 +0800, ajk <gandalf<at>pc.nu> wrote:

    >You know I started out very optimistic about Wow - so many here in
    >forum said it such a great game but to be frank, it aint no difference
    >from any other mmorpg I have played. Sure the graphics are nice, sure
    >there are lots of quests .. but it once again boils down to that the
    >Blizzard/Sony whatever want you to spend as much time as possible
    >playing the game. Blizzard do it more subtile than Sony of course,
    >just wasting precious time. It is easy to level in the beginning in
    >order to make people addicted so they later wont mind the grinding
    >later. After about level 20 in eq,daoc,eq2,wow,... there is no real
    >novility in playing. it is just so boring, dont know how you guys
    >manage to stick a game that long?
    >
    >somebody said that I dont have mmorpg the mentality... well now I take
    >that more as a compliment.
    >
    >/ajk

    This is the very essense of any MMORPG - an endless cyle of kill,
    level, upgrade, kill bigger things, repeat.

    Personally, I play them until the grind annoys me, give my stuff away
    and quit.

    Remember - it's entertainment. Once it's no longer entertaning, walk
    away.

    And what's with all the carrots ?

    ajk <gandalf wrote:
    > You know I started out very optimistic about Wow - so many here in
    > forum said it such a great game but to be frank, it aint no difference
    > from any other mmorpg I have played. Sure the graphics are nice, sure
    > there are lots of quests .. but it once again boils down to that the
    > Blizzard/Sony whatever want you to spend as much time as possible
    > playing the game. Blizzard do it more subtile than Sony of course,
    > just wasting precious time. It is easy to level in the beginning in
    > order to make people addicted so they later wont mind the grinding
    > later. After about level 20 in eq,daoc,eq2,wow,... there is no real
    > novility in playing. it is just so boring, dont know how you guys
    > manage to stick a game that long?
    >
    > somebody said that I dont have mmorpg the mentality... well now I take
    > that more as a compliment.

    You seem to be interested in nothing more than gaining the next level,
    so you very much have a MMORPG mentality! Learn to interact with other
    players, that is where the fun comes from, I played SWG for over a year
    and the thing that kept me going back was the thriving community. When
    that died, I left.

    > The value of a MMORPG lies solely in the interaction with other players.
    > Party, join a guild, share adventures, do something together with other
    > people. MMORPGs are social activities, and they are designed for that
    > purpose. If you approach them like a single-player game or look for a
    > sophisticated story, then yes, you'll get very little enjoyment out of
    > them.

    Good summation, said what I was too tired to! :)

    ajk <gandalf<at>pc.nu> once tried to test me with:

    > You know I started out very optimistic about Wow - so many here in
    > forum said it such a great game but to be frank, it aint no difference
    > from any other mmorpg I have played. Sure the graphics are nice, sure
    > there are lots of quests .. but it once again boils down to that the
    > Blizzard/Sony whatever want you to spend as much time as possible
    > playing the game. Blizzard do it more subtile than Sony of course,
    > just wasting precious time. It is easy to level in the beginning in
    > order to make people addicted so they later wont mind the grinding
    > later. After about level 20 in eq,daoc,eq2,wow,... there is no real
    > novility in playing. it is just so boring, dont know how you guys
    > manage to stick a game that long?

    You can make it to level 20 in 3 or 4 evenings. Maybe a week or two tops.
    WoW is pretty much AIMED at the casual gamer. If you think WoW is a grind,
    you really are playing the wrong genre. As others have mentioned, the fun
    is in playing with other people.

    > somebody said that I dont have mmorpg the mentality... well now I take
    > that more as a compliment.

    Maybe you just need a friend.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 23:21:50 +0800, ajk <gandalf<at>pc.nu> dared speak
    in front of ME:

    >You know I started out very optimistic about Wow - so many here in
    >forum said it such a great game but to be frank, it aint no difference
    >from any other mmorpg I have played. Sure the graphics are nice, sure
    >there are lots of quests .. but it once again boils down to that the
    >Blizzard/Sony whatever want you to spend as much time as possible
    >playing the game.

    Bad economic strategy. What they should be aiming for is "keep your
    subscription up, but play as little as possible."

    --
    Address no longer works.
    try removing all numbers from

    In article <brieb1lpb120blje91ug7v15g4t341g9r2@4ax.com>,
    Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 23:21:50 +0800, ajk <gandalf<at>pc.nu> dared speak
    > in front of ME:
    > >You know I started out very optimistic about Wow - so many here in
    > >forum said it such a great game but to be frank, it aint no difference
    > >from any other mmorpg I have played. Sure the graphics are nice, sure
    > >there are lots of quests .. but it once again boils down to that the
    > >Blizzard/Sony whatever want you to spend as much time as possible
    > >playing the game.
    >
    > Bad economic strategy. What they should be aiming for is "keep your
    > subscription up, but play as little as possible."

    Doesn't work well. Asides from the people who subscribe, log in, and
    then vanish but keep their account active for years, your best bet to
    keep someone playing month to month is to keep them playing all the time.

    Bandwidth is cheap. Better to keep the players hooked and playing than
    offline and soon vanished.

    - Damien

    shadows wrote:
    > On 2005-06-20, Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote:
    > > On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 23:21:50 +0800, ajk <gandalf<at>pc.nu> dared speak
    > > in front of ME:
    > >
    > >>You know I started out very optimistic about Wow - so many here in
    > >>forum said it such a great game but to be frank, it aint no difference
    > >>from any other mmorpg I have played. Sure the graphics are nice, sure
    > >>there are lots of quests .. but it once again boils down to that the
    > >>Blizzard/Sony whatever want you to spend as much time as possible
    > >>playing the game.
    > >
    > > Bad economic strategy. What they should be aiming for is "keep your
    > > subscription up, but play as little as possible."
    >
    > For an MMO the cost of running the servers (power, hardware,
    > bandwidth, support) are all fixed cost. They rent the
    > all-you-can-eat pipes, get a support contract with a fixed price
    > on it, and even lease their hardware. This isn't unlike any large
    > tech service provider.
    >
    > They need N many players to pay them for 12 months for them to
    > cover this fixed cost. They are very likely to get this if people
    > play the game often enough to drag their friends in with them.

    While true, this is missing the key consideration. What happens when
    you have 2 * N players ? A sensible person could say that you would
    then shift to 2*N hardware, but if everyone doesn't log on all at once
    often you could save a loooot of money by using 1.5*N. Hey, there may
    be some performance impacts but you could probably scrape by with N
    still.

    And, ironically, this isn't unlike any large tech service provider 8).
    There are very few, possibly none since the worldcom fiasco, ISPs which
    are able to actually support all the bandwidth they have sold
    simultaneously. Mobile phone carriers work on the basis of only being
    able to support a small fraction of their total customers concurrently
    - the US mint has printed only a tiny fraction of the currency
    currently in circulation electronically, etc etc.

    On 2005-06-20, Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 23:21:50 +0800, ajk <gandalf<at>pc.nu> dared speak
    > in front of ME:
    >
    >>You know I started out very optimistic about Wow - so many here in
    >>forum said it such a great game but to be frank, it aint no difference
    >>from any other mmorpg I have played. Sure the graphics are nice, sure
    >>there are lots of quests .. but it once again boils down to that the
    >>Blizzard/Sony whatever want you to spend as much time as possible
    >>playing the game.
    >
    > Bad economic strategy. What they should be aiming for is "keep your
    > subscription up, but play as little as possible."

    For an MMO the cost of running the servers (power, hardware,
    bandwidth, support) are all fixed cost. They rent the
    all-you-can-eat pipes, get a support contract with a fixed price
    on it, and even lease their hardware. This isn't unlike any large
    tech service provider.

    They need N many players to pay them for 12 months for them to
    cover this fixed cost. They are very likely to get this if people
    play the game often enough to drag their friends in with them.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 23:14:50 -0700, Damien Neil
    <neild-usenet4@misago.org> dared speak in front of ME:

    >In article <brieb1lpb120blje91ug7v15g4t341g9r2@4ax.com>,
    > Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote:
    >> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 23:21:50 +0800, ajk <gandalf<at>pc.nu> dared speak
    >> in front of ME:
    >> >You know I started out very optimistic about Wow - so many here in
    >> >forum said it such a great game but to be frank, it aint no difference
    >> >from any other mmorpg I have played. Sure the graphics are nice, sure
    >> >there are lots of quests .. but it once again boils down to that the
    >> >Blizzard/Sony whatever want you to spend as much time as possible
    >> >playing the game.
    >>
    >> Bad economic strategy. What they should be aiming for is "keep your
    >> subscription up, but play as little as possible."
    >
    >Doesn't work well.

    Well, yes. Difficult to implement.

    --
    Address no longer works.
    try removing all numbers from
    gafgirl1@2allstream3.net

PC gaming Mmorpg World Of Warcraft Games Video Games