mmorpg wow, eq2, whatever

ajk

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004

You know I started out very optimistic about Wow - so many here in
forum said it such a great game but to be frank, it aint no difference
from any other mmorpg I have played. Sure the graphics are nice, sure
there are lots of quests .. but it once again boils down to that the
Blizzard/Sony whatever want you to spend as much time as possible
playing the game. Blizzard do it more subtile than Sony of course,
just wasting precious time. It is easy to level in the beginning in
order to make people addicted so they later wont mind the grinding
later. After about level 20 in eq,daoc,eq2,wow,... there is no real
novility in playing. it is just so boring, dont know how you guys
manage to stick a game that long?

somebody said that I dont have mmorpg the mentality... well now I take
that more as a compliment.

/ajk
--
"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
Groucho Marx.

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 23:21:50 +0800, ajk wrote:

> Blizzard do it more subtile than Sony of course,
> just wasting precious time.

Applying that logic, playing games in general is "just wasting precious
time". As is watching TV, going to the theatre, reading light literature,
and so on.

> It is easy to level in the beginning in
> order to make people addicted so they later wont mind the grinding
> later. After about level 20 in eq,daoc,eq2,wow,... there is no real
> novility in playing.

WoW is easy all the way up to 60. Novelity in playing? How many games offer
much novelity after you have played them for thirty hours?

> it is just so boring, dont know how you guys
> manage to stick a game that long?

The value of a MMORPG lies solely in the interaction with other players.
Party, join a guild, share adventures, do something together with other
people. MMORPGs are social activities, and they are designed for that
purpose. If you approach them like a single-player game or look for a
sophisticated story, then yes, you'll get very little enjoyment out of
them.

> somebody said that I dont have mmorpg the mentality... well now I take
> that more as a compliment.

You're eating an orange and expect it to have the flavour of an apple.

M.
--
ClamWin, an open source antivirus software for Windows:
http://www.clamwin.com/

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 23:21:50 +0800, ajk <gandalf<at>pc.nu> wrote:

>You know I started out very optimistic about Wow - so many here in
>forum said it such a great game but to be frank, it aint no difference
>from any other mmorpg I have played. Sure the graphics are nice, sure
>there are lots of quests .. but it once again boils down to that the
>Blizzard/Sony whatever want you to spend as much time as possible
>playing the game. Blizzard do it more subtile than Sony of course,
>just wasting precious time. It is easy to level in the beginning in
>order to make people addicted so they later wont mind the grinding
>later. After about level 20 in eq,daoc,eq2,wow,... there is no real
>novility in playing. it is just so boring, dont know how you guys
>manage to stick a game that long?
>
>somebody said that I dont have mmorpg the mentality... well now I take
>that more as a compliment.
>
>/ajk

This is the very essense of any MMORPG - an endless cyle of kill,
level, upgrade, kill bigger things, repeat.

Personally, I play them until the grind annoys me, give my stuff away
and quit.

Remember - it's entertainment. Once it's no longer entertaning, walk
away.

And what's with all the carrots ?

ajk <gandalf wrote:
> You know I started out very optimistic about Wow - so many here in
> forum said it such a great game but to be frank, it aint no difference
> from any other mmorpg I have played. Sure the graphics are nice, sure
> there are lots of quests .. but it once again boils down to that the
> Blizzard/Sony whatever want you to spend as much time as possible
> playing the game. Blizzard do it more subtile than Sony of course,
> just wasting precious time. It is easy to level in the beginning in
> order to make people addicted so they later wont mind the grinding
> later. After about level 20 in eq,daoc,eq2,wow,... there is no real
> novility in playing. it is just so boring, dont know how you guys
> manage to stick a game that long?
>
> somebody said that I dont have mmorpg the mentality... well now I take
> that more as a compliment.

You seem to be interested in nothing more than gaining the next level,
so you very much have a MMORPG mentality! Learn to interact with other
players, that is where the fun comes from, I played SWG for over a year
and the thing that kept me going back was the thriving community. When
that died, I left.

> The value of a MMORPG lies solely in the interaction with other players.
> Party, join a guild, share adventures, do something together with other
> people. MMORPGs are social activities, and they are designed for that
> purpose. If you approach them like a single-player game or look for a
> sophisticated story, then yes, you'll get very little enjoyment out of
> them.

Good summation, said what I was too tired to! :)

ajk <gandalf<at>pc.nu> once tried to test me with:

> You know I started out very optimistic about Wow - so many here in
> forum said it such a great game but to be frank, it aint no difference
> from any other mmorpg I have played. Sure the graphics are nice, sure
> there are lots of quests .. but it once again boils down to that the
> Blizzard/Sony whatever want you to spend as much time as possible
> playing the game. Blizzard do it more subtile than Sony of course,
> just wasting precious time. It is easy to level in the beginning in
> order to make people addicted so they later wont mind the grinding
> later. After about level 20 in eq,daoc,eq2,wow,... there is no real
> novility in playing. it is just so boring, dont know how you guys
> manage to stick a game that long?

You can make it to level 20 in 3 or 4 evenings. Maybe a week or two tops.
WoW is pretty much AIMED at the casual gamer. If you think WoW is a grind,
you really are playing the wrong genre. As others have mentioned, the fun
is in playing with other people.

> somebody said that I dont have mmorpg the mentality... well now I take
> that more as a compliment.

Maybe you just need a friend.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

KAOS

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 23:21:50 +0800, ajk <gandalf<at>pc.nu> dared speak
in front of ME:

>You know I started out very optimistic about Wow - so many here in
>forum said it such a great game but to be frank, it aint no difference
>from any other mmorpg I have played. Sure the graphics are nice, sure
>there are lots of quests .. but it once again boils down to that the
>Blizzard/Sony whatever want you to spend as much time as possible
>playing the game.

Bad economic strategy. What they should be aiming for is "keep your
subscription up, but play as little as possible."

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from

In article <brieb1lpb120blje91ug7v15g4t341g9r2@4ax.com>,
Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 23:21:50 +0800, ajk <gandalf<at>pc.nu> dared speak
> in front of ME:
> >You know I started out very optimistic about Wow - so many here in
> >forum said it such a great game but to be frank, it aint no difference
> >from any other mmorpg I have played. Sure the graphics are nice, sure
> >there are lots of quests .. but it once again boils down to that the
> >Blizzard/Sony whatever want you to spend as much time as possible
> >playing the game.
>
> Bad economic strategy. What they should be aiming for is "keep your
> subscription up, but play as little as possible."

Doesn't work well. Asides from the people who subscribe, log in, and
then vanish but keep their account active for years, your best bet to
keep someone playing month to month is to keep them playing all the time.

Bandwidth is cheap. Better to keep the players hooked and playing than
offline and soon vanished.

- Damien

shadows wrote:
> On 2005-06-20, Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 23:21:50 +0800, ajk <gandalf<at>pc.nu> dared speak
> > in front of ME:
> >
> >>You know I started out very optimistic about Wow - so many here in
> >>forum said it such a great game but to be frank, it aint no difference
> >>from any other mmorpg I have played. Sure the graphics are nice, sure
> >>there are lots of quests .. but it once again boils down to that the
> >>Blizzard/Sony whatever want you to spend as much time as possible
> >>playing the game.
> >
> > Bad economic strategy. What they should be aiming for is "keep your
> > subscription up, but play as little as possible."
>
> For an MMO the cost of running the servers (power, hardware,
> bandwidth, support) are all fixed cost. They rent the
> all-you-can-eat pipes, get a support contract with a fixed price
> on it, and even lease their hardware. This isn't unlike any large
> tech service provider.
>
> They need N many players to pay them for 12 months for them to
> cover this fixed cost. They are very likely to get this if people
> play the game often enough to drag their friends in with them.

While true, this is missing the key consideration. What happens when
you have 2 * N players ? A sensible person could say that you would
then shift to 2*N hardware, but if everyone doesn't log on all at once
often you could save a loooot of money by using 1.5*N. Hey, there may
be some performance impacts but you could probably scrape by with N
still.

And, ironically, this isn't unlike any large tech service provider 8).
There are very few, possibly none since the worldcom fiasco, ISPs which
are able to actually support all the bandwidth they have sold
simultaneously. Mobile phone carriers work on the basis of only being
able to support a small fraction of their total customers concurrently
- the US mint has printed only a tiny fraction of the currency
currently in circulation electronically, etc etc.

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-06-20, Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 23:21:50 +0800, ajk <gandalf<at>pc.nu> dared speak
> in front of ME:
>
>>You know I started out very optimistic about Wow - so many here in
>>forum said it such a great game but to be frank, it aint no difference
>>from any other mmorpg I have played. Sure the graphics are nice, sure
>>there are lots of quests .. but it once again boils down to that the
>>Blizzard/Sony whatever want you to spend as much time as possible
>>playing the game.
>
> Bad economic strategy. What they should be aiming for is "keep your
> subscription up, but play as little as possible."

For an MMO the cost of running the servers (power, hardware,
bandwidth, support) are all fixed cost. They rent the
all-you-can-eat pipes, get a support contract with a fixed price
on it, and even lease their hardware. This isn't unlike any large
tech service provider.

They need N many players to pay them for 12 months for them to
cover this fixed cost. They are very likely to get this if people
play the game often enough to drag their friends in with them.

KAOS

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 23:14:50 -0700, Damien Neil
<neild-usenet4@misago.org> dared speak in front of ME:

>In article <brieb1lpb120blje91ug7v15g4t341g9r2@4ax.com>,
> Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 23:21:50 +0800, ajk <gandalf<at>pc.nu> dared speak
>> in front of ME:
>> >You know I started out very optimistic about Wow - so many here in
>> >forum said it such a great game but to be frank, it aint no difference
>> >from any other mmorpg I have played. Sure the graphics are nice, sure
>> >there are lots of quests .. but it once again boils down to that the
>> >Blizzard/Sony whatever want you to spend as much time as possible
>> >playing the game.
>>
>> Bad economic strategy. What they should be aiming for is "keep your
>> subscription up, but play as little as possible."
>
>Doesn't work well.

Well, yes. Difficult to implement.