Matrix Online Sales Numbers

Clogar wrote:

>http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/16/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm?cnn=yes
>
>I just saw this on CNN. According to that article, the Matrix Online has
>only sold 43,100 copies since launch.
>
>I don't think those sales even cover the TV ads I've seen for the game.
>
>The article was really about the fall of Atari, but I thought that
>little point was pretty interesting.

I had a lot of hope for that game. They just didn't take it anywhere we
wanted it to go. And it didn't help them one bit that they decided to
require dirx 9 at the last, and screwed all the win98se users. They had
a lot of great ideas, but none of those we suggested.

Maybe they will try again? All I know is, it better be done right or
that bunch better get out of the game business.

--
Philosophy: That attempt to explain why so much about life makes us cuss.

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 12:07:25 -0700, Quaestor <no.spam@my.place> wrote:

>Clogar wrote:
>
>>http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/16/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm?cnn=yes
>>
>>I just saw this on CNN. According to that article, the Matrix Online has
>>only sold 43,100 copies since launch.
>>
>>I don't think those sales even cover the TV ads I've seen for the game.
>>
>>The article was really about the fall of Atari, but I thought that
>>little point was pretty interesting.
>>

>I had a lot of hope for that game. They just didn't take it anywhere we
>wanted it to go. And it didn't help them one bit that they decided to
>require dirx 9 at the last, and screwed all the win98se users. They had
>a lot of great ideas, but none of those we suggested.
>
>Maybe they will try again? All I know is, it better be done right or
>that bunch better get out of the game business.

Well, Matrix Online has been take over by SoE...

And what's with all the carrots ?

Clogar <clogarnot@nospam.com> once tried to test me with:

> http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/16/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/inde
> x.htm?cnn=yes
>
> I just saw this on CNN. According to that article, the Matrix Online
> has only sold 43,100 copies since launch.
>
> I don't think those sales even cover the TV ads I've seen for the
> game.
>
> The article was really about the fall of Atari, but I thought that
> little point was pretty interesting.

I'm not at all surprised. Matrix Online would have sold like hotcakes had
they released this game at around Matrix 2's theatrical appearance. But as
it is, they waited too late and more or less no one really cares about that
series now. I do not think that The Matrix has franchise staying power like
Star Wars or Trek or whatever. I think a lot of people thought it would,
but I never really did.

I am actually the owner of that abysmal action RPG Enter the Matrix. I feel
the games for this franchise were uninspired and blatantly tried milking
the movies for what they could. That just isn't possible for an online game
to be successful. The only interesting thing about The Matrix Online was
the fact that they had hired actors to do parts in the game. That would
have been cool, but I can't see how they can afford it on less than 43k
subscribers.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Knight37 wrote:

>I'm not at all surprised. Matrix Online would have sold like hotcakes had
>they released this game at around Matrix 2's theatrical appearance. But as
>it is, they waited too late and more or less no one really cares about that
>series now. I do not think that The Matrix has franchise staying power like
>Star Wars or Trek or whatever. I think a lot of people thought it would,
>but I never really did.

I believe it could have. Obviously the timing was more like Matrix 4,
and there was a very involved community waiting for beta. The game died
in beta, because of a total lack of content and readiness for market,
not anything to do with timing.

>I am actually the owner of that abysmal action RPG Enter the Matrix. I feel
>the games for this franchise were uninspired and blatantly tried milking
>the movies for what they could.

Nothing wrong with that, the movies were about people coping with a
system, and that system is a fine environment for interesting fantasy
roleplay. I get the idea the whole thing was killed by the suits, who
wanted it out the door long before it was ready, in whatever shape it
was in on release day. We all know that kills a game quicker than a
sunny day.

>That just isn't possible for an online game
>to be successful.

So all those star trek and star wars games are failures?

>The only interesting thing about The Matrix Online was
>the fact that they had hired actors to do parts in the game. That would
>have been cool, but I can't see how they can afford it on less than 43k
>subscribers.

It was totally immaterial to me. They simply showed how not to
produce/release a game.

Lot of that going around these days.

--

"Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I'm not at all surprised. Matrix Online would have sold like hotcakes had
> they released this game at around Matrix 2's theatrical appearance. But as
> it is, they waited too late and more or less no one really cares about
> that
> series now. I do not think that The Matrix has franchise staying power
> like
> Star Wars or Trek or whatever. I think a lot of people thought it would,
> but I never really did.
>
> I am actually the owner of that abysmal action RPG Enter the Matrix. I
> feel
> the games for this franchise were uninspired and blatantly tried milking
> the movies for what they could. That just isn't possible for an online
> game
> to be successful. The only interesting thing about The Matrix Online was
> the fact that they had hired actors to do parts in the game. That would
> have been cool, but I can't see how they can afford it on less than 43k
> subscribers.

Another, albeit minor, point is that there were some who would have possibly
purchased the game if not for the fact that they were turned off by the
knowledge that when it came time to cancel their account, they would have to
place a phone call. There is no electronic cancellation process for MxO. I
know a couple of people who did not purchase the game for that reason alone.

hmm....for those that played this Matrix Online, is the game world sole
confined in the virtual computer generated world or the players can return
to the "real world" to fight the mechanical octopuses?

"Quaestor" <no.spam@my.place> wrote in message
> Knight37 wrote:
>
>>I'm not at all surprised. Matrix Online would have sold like hotcakes had
>>they released this game at around Matrix 2's theatrical appearance. But as
>>it is, they waited too late and more or less no one really cares about
>>that series now. I do not think that The Matrix has franchise staying
>>power like Star Wars or Trek or whatever. I think a lot of people thought
>>it would, but I never really did.
>>

> I believe it could have. Obviously the timing was more like Matrix 4, and
> there was a very involved community waiting for beta. The game died in
> beta, because of a total lack of content and readiness for market, not
> anything to do with timing.
>
>>I am actually the owner of that abysmal action RPG Enter the Matrix. I
>>feel the games for this franchise were uninspired and blatantly tried
>>milking the movies for what they could.
>>

> Nothing wrong with that, the movies were about people coping with a
> system, and that system is a fine environment for interesting fantasy
> roleplay. I get the idea the whole thing was killed by the suits, who
> wanted it out the door long before it was ready, in whatever shape it was
> in on release day. We all know that kills a game quicker than a sunny
> day.
>
>>That just isn't possible for an online game to be successful.
>>

> So all those star trek and star wars games are failures?
>
>>The only interesting thing about The Matrix Online was the fact that they
>>had hired actors to do parts in the game. That would have been cool, but I
>>can't see how they can afford it on less than 43k subscribers.
>>

> It was totally immaterial to me. They simply showed how not to
> produce/release a game.
>
> Lot of that going around these days.
>
> --
> Philosophy: That attempt to explain why so much about life makes us cuss.

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-06-20, Choykw <Newsreader@Newsgroup.com> wrote:
> hmm....for those that played this Matrix Online, is the game world sole
> confined in the virtual computer generated world or the players can return
> to the "real world" to fight the mechanical octopuses?

All in the Matrix itself. No "real world."

Two words: Stay away. The game broke my heart since I am a big
Matrix fan.

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen wrote:

>shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> writes:
>

>>If you didn't notice the devs of MxO have absolutely no talent
>>whatsoever. The game flopped because, frankly, it's HORRIBLE. I
>>tried the beta after they practically gave accounts out due to
>>a low beta population.
>>

>It improved tremendously after beta, though.

Maybe someone shoulda told them, you don't get a second chance to make a
first impression?

--
Philosophy: That attempt to explain why so much about life makes us cuss.