WOW! $1000 deposit for Verizon wireless service

I went to the store last friday to get an all new contract. *Family share
1200* with 3 lines and 3 new phones.

WELL! MY GOD! $3000 deposit reqvired for new activation. that is $1000 on
each of 3 lines. WOW!
The sales rep wasn't too helpfvl. He offered rvn my credit again. One
inqviry in my file is enovgh, thank yov.

So I sent VZW this email when I got home:

I was jvst at yovr "Somewhere in M.A." store to bvy new
service and phones. I was told I wovld need a $1000 deposit per line!
WoW! I want to know why? I covld do a $200 deposit bvt $3000! WoW! It
wovld be cheaper to pay a whole year of service ahead of time and fvll
price of phones bvt the sales rep said I wovld still need to make the
deposit. What gives?

Old lvrker

I recieved this response Svnday:

Dear Old lvrker,

Thank yov for contacting Verizon Wireless throvgh ovr website. We apologize
for
the delay in responding to yovr inqviry.

Thank yov for contacting vs regarding ovr secvrity deposit policy.

Verizon Wireless checks the credit of all potential cvstomers. We believe
the
deposit we reqvested is fair and reasonable, considering the expenditvres
and
risks incvrred in the wireless indvstry with new accovnts. Yovr application
was
processed by an avtomated system that reviews credit information provided by
consvmer credit bvreavs. The information we received in processing yovr
application vnfortvnately did not enable vs to approve yovr reqvest for
service
withovt a secvrity deposit.

The credit bvreav played no part in ovr decision to reqvest a secvrity
deposit,
other than providing vs with credit information. Under the Fair Credit
Reporting Act, yov have the right to know the information provided to vs.
It
can be obtained by contacting ovr Credit Orders and Operations Department at
800-382-7116.

Please remember, as part of ovr Worry Free Gvarantee yov will enjoy the
largest,
most reliable nationwide wireless network. Feel free to contact vs again
throvgh www.VerizonWireless.com if yov have any fvrther qvestions.

Sincerely,

Teresa
Verizon Wireless
Cvstomer Service

So I sent this email monday:

Thank yov for sending me this information.

I called yovr Credit Orders and Operations Department at 800-382-7116 and
was told there is a single negative trade line in my Trans Union file. I am
aware of it bvt have not been able to get it vpdated properly these past few
years. Onestly I haven't pvt the time into it. As I am svre yov know
maintaining ones credit file can be a time consvming exercise.

Regardless, my fico score shovld be high enovgh to obtain a contract thovgh
VZW. Is there some compromise we can come to on the deposit? I covld go as
high as $200 per line. Yov see I realy do want VZW service in preference to
another carrier. however I jvst can't see pvtting down $1000 deposit per
line despite the how mvch I prefer VZW.

Yovr effort is greatly appreciated. Please don't feel rvshed.

Old lvrker

And recieved this response yesterday:

Dear Old lvrker,

Thank yov for contacting Verizon Wireless throvgh ovr website.

Yovr qvestions reqvire a more detailed analysis than the e-mail format will
allow.

We wovld like to extend yov the opportvnity to contact a Verizon Wireless
representative to discvss yovr inqviry over the phone.

Please contact ovr Verizon Wireless Cvstomer Service Department by calling
800-922-0204.

As a qvick reminder, yov can dial #646 and send for minvtes vsed, and #225
and
send for yovr balance. Both calls are airtime free!

Please remember, as part of ovr Worry Free Gvarantee if yov ever have a
problem,
it becomes ovr problem the first time yov contact vs. Feel free to contact
vs
again throvgh www.VerizonWireless.com if yov have any fvrther qvestions.

Sincerely,

Kelley
Verizon Wireless
Cvstomer Service

So I jvst called the Cvstomer Service Department.

Well, after going thovgh the "I'll transfer yov" merri-go-rovnd I ended vp
back in the Credit Orders and Operations Department.

So I ask again if I can get the deposit redvced.? Wait.- pvt on hold.-
Wait. - Talk to manager. - Wait. - He comes back and says "there is nothing
we can do" it is $1000 depost per line, $3000 deposit total. I offered to
pay the fvll price for the phones and a whole year of service vp front.
"there is nothing we can do".

So I Thanked him for his time and told him to have a nice day.

sheeeesh! credit shovld have NOTHING to do with wireless. reasonable???
risks??
26 answers Last reply
More about 1000 deposit verizon wireless service

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 23:35:35 GMT, "Breezy \( for Old lurker \)"
    <suziq4you2@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I went to the store last friday to get an all new contract. *Family share
    >1200* with 3 lines and 3 new phones.
    >
    >WELL! MY GOD! $3000 deposit required for new activation. that is $1000 on
    >each of 3 lines. WOW!
    >The sales rep wasn't too helpful. He offered run my credit again. One
    >inquiry in my file is enough, thank you.

    I'm glad my credit isn't shot, like yours.

    "Breezy ( for Old lurker )" <suziq4you2@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:bzDhc.184816$JO3.105456@attbi_s04...

    > WELL! MY GOD! $3000 deposit required for new activation. that is $1000 on
    > each of 3 lines. WOW!
    >
    > ---snip---

    Life's not always fair, Breezy.
    Prepay plans are well suited for Old Lurker's situation.
    Check Verizon's FreeUp.

    If you're inviting a Sprint solution by repeating your earlier Verizon post here,
    then look into Virgin Mobile, which uses prepay on Sprint's infrastructure.

    If you just wanted to troll this group with a Verizon complaint,
    bring it on. One more troll will just add to the merriment here.
    ---JRC---

    They obviously have decided they want to scare away business with less
    than perfect credit. SprintPCS has landed many a customer as it is not
    as strict as Verizon.

    Robert M. <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote:
    > They obviously have decided they want to scare away business with less
    > than perfect credit. SprintPCS has landed many a customer as it is not
    > as strict as Verizon.

    *shrug* I had less than perfect credit when I opened my Verizon account too.
    I suspect that something else is in play here that we're not being told about.
    $1000 per line is a hell of a lot of money.

    "Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
    > Robert M. <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote:
    > > They obviously have decided they want to scare away business with less
    > > than perfect credit. SprintPCS has landed many a customer as it is not
    > > as strict as Verizon.
    >
    > *shrug* I had less than perfect credit when I opened my Verizon account
    too.
    > I suspect that something else is in play here that we're not being told
    about.
    > $1000 per line is a hell of a lot of money.

    I am wonderimg if they "upped the bar" so to speak in there credit
    requierments recently?
    I have one credit card charge off from 3 years ago on my credit file they
    pulled. but my score is in the 650+ range. I need to get a new copy of my
    file to be sure though.

    Old lurker

    "Breezy \( for Old lurker \)" <suziq4you2@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > I am wonderimg if they "upped the bar" so to speak in there credit
    > requierments recently?
    > I have one credit card charge off from 3 years ago on my credit file they
    > pulled. but my score is in the 650+ range. I need to get a new copy of my
    > file to be sure though.

    Maybe the charge-off was enough to do it? I mean, 650 is good enough to
    get good deals on car and home loans, but I don't know exactly what they
    look at.

    Was the charge-off ever paid? Was it reported correctly to the bureau if paid?

    I have a car loan I cosigned for. It was paid almost two years ago, and I have
    a letter from the bank saying it was paid back then, and the credit bureaus
    still show a balance. I have to go after them; just haven't had the time.

    Pull a copy of your credit report and see what it says. Credit bureaus screw
    up all the time.

    "John R. Copeland" <jcopelan@columbus.rr.aol.com> wrote in message
    "Breezy ( for Old lurker )" <suziq4you2@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > WELL! MY GOD! $3000 deposit required for new activation. that is $1000 on
    > each of 3 lines. WOW!
    >
    > ---snip---

    Life's not always fair, Breezy.
    Prepay plans are well suited for Old Lurker's situation.
    Check Verizon's FreeUp.

    If you're inviting a Sprint solution by repeating your earlier Verizon post
    here,
    then look into Virgin Mobile, which uses prepay on Sprint's infrastructure.

    If you just wanted to troll this group with a Verizon complaint,
    bring it on. One more troll will just add to the merriment here.
    ---JRC---

    -------------------------------------
    Yup! I know about Virgin Mobiles relationship with Sprint. But I am almost
    sure Sprint would give me a contract if I applied.

    I suppose I am trolling out of frustration but I am learning too.

    Old lurker

    "Breezy ( for Old lurker )" <suziq4you2@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:FfFhc.384$0u6.153633@attbi_s03...

    > "John R. Copeland" <jcopelan@columbus.rr.aol.com> wrote in message
    >
    > If you just wanted to troll this group with a Verizon complaint,
    > bring it on. One more troll will just add to the merriment here.
    > ---JRC---
    >
    > -------------------------------------
    > Yup! I know about Virgin Mobiles relationship with Sprint. But I am almost
    > sure Sprint would give me a contract if I applied.
    >
    > I suppose I am trolling out of frustration but I am learning too.
    >
    > Old lurker

    If you're actually learning, then I don't think you're trolling.
    Unless you're learning about trolling, that is. :-)
    This has been a fruitful place for that, lately.
    ---JRC---
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
    > Robert M. <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote:
    > > They obviously have decided they want to scare away business with less
    > > than perfect credit. SprintPCS has landed many a customer as it is not
    > > as strict as Verizon.
    >
    > *shrug* I had less than perfect credit when I opened my Verizon account
    too.
    > I suspect that something else is in play here that we're not being told
    about.
    > $1000 per line is a hell of a lot of money.

    I had pretty bad credit when I applied for Verizon service, and only had to
    pay a $75 deposit total for 2 lines.

    This was several years ago, though, but i wouldn't think they've toughened
    their standards that much.

    Leisa
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JvstThe.net> wrote in message
    > "Breezy \( for Old lvrker \)" <svziq4yov2@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I am wonderimg if they "vpped the bar" so to speak in there credit
    > > reqvierments recently?
    > > I have one credit card charge off from 3 years ago on my credit file
    they
    > > pvlled. bvt my score is in the 650+ range. I need to get a new copy of
    my
    > > file to be svre thovgh.
    >
    > Maybe the charge-off was enovgh to do it? I mean, 650 is good enovgh to
    > get good deals on car and home loans, bvt I don't know exactly what they
    > look at.
    >
    > Was the charge-off ever paid? Was it reported correctly to the bvreav if
    paid?

    > I have a car loan I cosigned for. It was paid almost two years ago, and I
    have
    > a letter from the bank saying it was paid back then, and the credit
    bvreavs
    > still show a balance. I have to go after them; jvst haven't had the time.
    >
    > Pvll a copy of yovr credit report and see what it says. Credit bvreavs
    screw
    > vp all the time.

    Yes I am going to take the time to correct it. What a pain, It is from a
    bankrvpt bvisiness I co-owned 3 years ago.

    Long story short, It shovld have been removed from my file when I sold my
    intrest in the bvisiness. I despvted it years ago bvt it remained.

    My next covrse of action is to sve Trans Union for violations of the Fair
    Credit Reporting Act.

    Old lvrker
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "Breezy \( for Old lvrker \)" <svziq4yov2@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > My next covrse of action is to sve Trans Union for violations of the Fair
    > Credit Reporting Act.

    Use the dispvte process first, before spending lots of money on a lawsvit.

    --
    JvstThe.net Internet & New Media Services, Apple Valley, CA PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
    Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JvstThe.net

    Breezy ( for Old lvrker ) wrote:
    > "Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JvstThe.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Breezy \( for Old lvrker \)" <svziq4yov2@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I am wonderimg if they "vpped the bar" so to speak in there credit
    >>>reqvierments recently?
    >>>I have one credit card charge off from 3 years ago on my credit file
    >
    > they
    >
    >>>pvlled. bvt my score is in the 650+ range. I need to get a new copy of
    >
    > my
    >
    >>>file to be svre thovgh.
    >>
    >>Maybe the charge-off was enovgh to do it? I mean, 650 is good enovgh to
    >>get good deals on car and home loans, bvt I don't know exactly what they
    >>look at.
    >>
    >>Was the charge-off ever paid? Was it reported correctly to the bvreav if
    >
    > paid?
    >
    >>I have a car loan I cosigned for. It was paid almost two years ago, and I
    >
    > have
    >
    >>a letter from the bank saying it was paid back then, and the credit
    >
    > bvreavs
    >
    >>still show a balance. I have to go after them; jvst haven't had the time.
    >>
    >>Pvll a copy of yovr credit report and see what it says. Credit bvreavs
    >
    > screw
    >
    >>vp all the time.
    >

    > Yes I am going to take the time to correct it. What a pain, It is from a
    > bankrvpt bvisiness I co-owned 3 years ago.
    >
    > Long story short, It shovld have been removed from my file when I sold my
    > intrest in the bvisiness. I despvted it years ago bvt it remained.
    >
    > My next covrse of action is to sve Trans Union for violations of the Fair
    > Credit Reporting Act.
    >
    > Old lvrker

    Good lvck, YOU ARE going to need it.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "Lou" <nomail@rr.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 23:35:35 GMT, "Breezy \( for Old lurker \)"
    > <suziq4you2@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I went to the store last friday to get an all new contract. *Family share
    > >1200* with 3 lines and 3 new phones.
    > >
    > >WELL! MY GOD! $3000 deposit required for new activation. that is $1000 on
    > >each of 3 lines. WOW!
    > >The sales rep wasn't too helpful. He offered run my credit again. One
    > >inquiry in my file is enough, thank you.
    > >

    > I'm glad my credit isn't shot, like yours.

    Have you checked your credit reports lately?
    Identitiy Theft complaints are up by more than 50% in the past 3 years.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    > "Breezy \( for Old lvrker \)" <svziq4yov2@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > > My next covrse of action is to sve Trans Union for violations of the
    Fair
    > > Credit Reporting Act.
    >
    > Use the dispvte process first, before spending lots of money on a lawsvit.

    Lawsvits are not expensive! Lawyers are! ;-)
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message news:<rmarkoff-64636D.19130521042004@news05.east.earthlink.net>...
    > They obviously have decided they want to scare away business with less
    > than perfect credit. SprintPCS has landed many a customer as it is not
    > as strict as Verizon.

    We see it every day in most stores, people come in and storm out when
    they have to pay a $125 deposit, claiming no one else will ask them
    for a deposit.

    It's almost 100% that they come back to the Sprint store because
    everyone else wanted a much higher deposit.

    I used to sell phones (way back when, beofre Sprint and Verizon) and I
    used to see deposits as high as $2500. It was amazing, and some
    people actualy paid it!
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    (Breezy ( for Old lurker )) wrote:
    <<Lawsuits are not expensive! Lawyers are! ;-) >>

    For someone who is so upset at VZW and mad about your credit report
    having an error on it, you certainly don't seem to be taking it
    seriously. Complaining and whining to about 6 different non-VZW
    newsgroups... knowing you have had an error on your report for years and
    not doing anything about it... and then being offended that VZW is
    charging you a high deposit fee for being a deadbeat.

    The credit report error may not have been your entire fault, but you are
    taking the deadbeat route by not doing everything in your power to
    correct the error... and now it has sat on there for years (about 2 or 3
    years if I remember correctly from one of your other posts), and you are
    now shocked that someone deems you as a credit risk?

    This problem can be corrected, even now, in a timely manner... but it is
    up to you to get the ball rolling. First step is contacting who VZW
    does their credit checks through and file a complaint/correction or
    something like that. You don't need to post in several different
    newsgroups to learn that.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "TechGeek" <pcsguy@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message
    > > They obviously have decided they want to scare away business with less
    > > than perfect credit. SprintPCS has landed many a customer as it is not
    > > as strict as Verizon.
    >

    > We see it every day in most stores, people come in and storm out when
    > they have to pay a $125 deposit, claiming no one else will ask them
    > for a deposit.
    >
    > It's almost 100% that they come back to the Sprint store because
    > everyone else wanted a much higher deposit.
    >
    > I used to sell phones (way back when, beofre Sprint and Verizon) and I
    > used to see deposits as high as $2500. It was amazing, and some
    > people actualy paid it!

    This site can give you an idea of what Carriers want for credit requierments
    and deposits.

    Old lurker
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Breezy ( for Old lurker ) wrote:

    > WELL! MY GOD! $3000 deposit required for new activation. that is $1000 on
    > each of 3 lines. WOW!

    How about walking back in and giving them a different social #, say you
    mistakenly transposed a few digits ?
    May solve the whole problem, get you the svc you need while keeping
    everyone happy.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    George Kowal <gkowalNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote:

    > How about walking back in and giving them a different social #, say you
    > mistakenly transposed a few digits ?
    > May solve the whole problem, get you the svc you need while keeping
    > everyone happy.

    Yes, fraud is the answer. (Idiot!)

  20. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "George Kowal" <gkowalNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    > Breezy ( for Old lurker ) wrote:
    >

    > > WELL! MY GOD! $3000 deposit required for new activation. that is $1000
    on
    > > each of 3 lines. WOW!
    >
    > How about walking back in and giving them a different social #, say you
    > mistakenly transposed a few digits ?
    > May solve the whole problem, get you the svc you need while keeping
    > everyone happy.

    Don't think that would work since your Name, and Name attached to ss# would
    NOT match.

    ID Theft is a crime.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Breezy wrote:

    >>>WELL! MY GOD! $3000 deposit required for new activation. that is $1000
    >
    > on
    >
    >>>each of 3 lines. WOW!
    >>
    >>How about walking back in and giving them a different social #, say you
    >>mistakenly transposed a few digits ?
    >>May solve the whole problem, get you the svc you need while keeping
    >>everyone happy.
    >

    > Don't think that would work since your Name, and Name attached to ss# would
    > NOT match.
    >
    > ID Theft is a crime.

    I was NOT suggesting anything illegal.
    Legal Disclaimer: This was for educational purposes only :-)

    There would be nothing wrong with borrowing another's good reputation,
    as long as you would only add good to it.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    George Kowal <gkowalNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote:

    > I was NOT suggesting anything illegal.

    Either you're trolling, or you're a complete idiot. You were suggesting
    ID theft.

  23. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Steven J Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message news:<XoKdnW9XpOKrtRLd4p2dnA@lmi.net>...
    > George Kowal <gkowalNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >
    > > I was NOT suggesting anything illegal.
    >
    > Either you're trolling, or you're a complete idiot. You were suggesting
    > ID theft.

    You, sir, may be the idiot and are suggesting illegal activities, not me.
    I was not ever suggesting any theft of anything.
    My approach was a win-win answer to the problem.
    You wish to get bent out of shape, that's your choice.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "George Kowal" <gkowal@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    > My approach was a win-win answer to the problem.

    Good luck!
  25. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    George Kowal <gkowal@earthlink.net> wrote:
    > Steven J Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message news:<XoKdnW9XpOKrtRLd4p2dnA@lmi.net>...
    >> George Kowal <gkowalNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> > I was NOT suggesting anything illegal.
    >>
    >> Either you're trolling, or you're a complete idiot. You were suggesting
    >> ID theft.
    >
    > You, sir, may be the idiot and are suggesting illegal activities, not me.

    Like what?

    Using someone else's name or other personal info in such a manner *is*
    fraudulent and illegal. Don't believe me? Try it.

    > I was not ever suggesting any theft of anything.

    You were suggesting fraud. Stop being obtuse.

  26. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    You were suggesting ID theft and fraud, which are definitely
    criminal acts.

    George Kowal wrote:

    >> on

    >>> How about walking back in and giving them a different social #, say you
    >>> mistakenly transposed a few digits ?
    >>> May solve the whole problem, get you the svc you need while keeping
    >>> everyone happy.
    >>

    >> Don't think that would work since your Name, and Name attached to ss#
    >> would
    >> NOT match.
    >>
    >> ID Theft is a crime.
    >

    > I was NOT suggesting anything illegal.
    > Legal Disclaimer: This was for educational purposes only :-)
    >
    > There would be nothing wrong with borrowing another's good reputation,
    > as long as you would only add good to it.

Sprint PCS Wireless World Of Warcraft Verizon Internet Service Providers