A Palm, A USB drive and a Digital camera

June 12, 2004 1:20:01 PM

Hi,
I have a Palm III xe, a Fujifilm iX-1 digital camera(300 kilopixels
and 8 MB) and a USB pen drive(32MB). The camera has a USB interface
and comes with a driver CD. The pen drive is automatically recognized
by Windows XP.

Owing to the memory size limitation in the camera (8 MB), I can only
store 25 snaps at a time. Once the space gets filled up, there is a
need to backup the snaps into my hard disk.

Is there a way in which I can somehow hook up the camera to the palm
and tranfer photos to it and then on connect the usb drive to the palm
and backup the photos?

Regards,
Prashanth Ellina

I blog at http://prashanthellina@blogspot.com
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 9:43:42 PM

prashanthellina@gmail.com (Prashanth Ellina) wrote:

> Is there a way in which I can somehow hook up the camera to the palm
> and tranfer photos to it and then on connect the usb drive to the palm
> and backup the photos?

No. USB uses a master/slave topology, requiring a central "master" device
to control the data transfer. All three of the devices you have will act
only as slaves.
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 9:43:43 PM

aranders@insightbb.com (Alan Anderson) wrote in message news:<aranders-1206041244080001@192.168.1.101>...
> prashanthellina@gmail.com (Prashanth Ellina) wrote:
>
> > Is there a way in which I can somehow hook up the camera to the palm
> > and tranfer photos to it and then on connect the usb drive to the palm
> > and backup the photos?
>
> No. USB uses a master/slave topology, requiring a central "master" device
> to control the data transfer. All three of the devices you have will act
> only as slaves.

Can I not write a program in the Palm which'll make it act like a usb
master and the camera as a slave? For , if i can do this then all the
snaps can be transferred to the palm's memory.

After that the camera can be disconnected from the palm and the usb
drive plugged in. Here the snaps in the palm can be transferred to the
usb drive.

I hope i am clear.

Regards,
Prashanth Ellina
Related resources
June 13, 2004 1:39:07 PM

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 14:58:13 -0700, Prashanth Ellina wrote:
> Can I not write a program in the Palm which'll make it act like a usb
> master and the camera as a slave?

No. Whether the device is a master or slave is in the hardware - not
software.
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 1:45:44 PM

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 09:39:07 GMT, Nemo <nemo@nowhere.org> wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 14:58:13 -0700, Prashanth Ellina wrote:
>> Can I not write a program in the Palm which'll make it act like a usb
>> master and the camera as a slave?
>
>No. Whether the device is a master or slave is in the hardware - not
>software.

Besides, a PalmIIIxe does not even start to have a USB compatable port
of any kind on it. Sure it has serial, but not USB.

Now if the camera has infrared...
!