M-Audio Audiophile 2496 w/ SiS-based motherboard

Hello. I have the ASUS P4S533-MX motherboard which uses the SiS 651 chipset,
http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4s533-mx/overview.htm

I want to buy an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard,
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_ca/Audiophile2496-main.html

does anyone think there would be any problems/incompatibilites with the card
and the SiS chipset motherboard?

I appreciate any feedback.
11 answers Last reply
More about audio audiophile 2496 based motherboard

    I have a mobo with a Sis chipset on it (I think a sis 735?). Works
    great with the 24/96. While the 24/96 is NOT "audiophile", I have
    found it to be the most compatible soundcard I've ever worked with.
    The thing just likes to work, period.

    That's my experience.

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:32:03 -0500, "Rudence"
    <take.du@SPAMMERZmailcity.com> wrote:

    >Hello. I have the ASUS P4S533-MX motherboard which uses the SiS 651 chipset,
    >http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4s533-mx/overview.htm
    >
    >I want to buy an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard,
    >http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_ca/Audiophile2496-main.html
    >
    >does anyone think there would be any problems/incompatibilites with the card
    >and the SiS chipset motherboard?

    I'm sure they would work just great together.

    Al

    "Rudence" <take.du@SPAMMERZmailcity.com> wrote in message
    > Hello. I have the ASUS P4S533-MX motherboard which uses the SiS 651
    > chipset,
    > http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4s533-mx/overview.htm
    > I want to buy an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard,
    > http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_ca/Audiophile2496-main.html
    >
    > does anyone think there would be any problems/incompatibilites with
    > the card and the SiS chipset motherboard?

    I've used the AP 2496 and other M-Audio Delta cards with several current
    and recent past SiS Athlon and Atlhon-64 motherboards with no problems.

    On 2005-01-19, Rudence <take.du@SPAMMERZmailcity.com> wrote:

    > does anyone think there would be any problems/incompatibilites with the card
    > and the SiS chipset motherboard?

    If there is an incompatability on your SiS board, it will be with IDE DMA.
    But if you have that problem it will affect any PCI card.

    On 2005-01-19, genericaudioperson@hotmail.com <genericaudioperson@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > While the 24/96 is NOT "audiophile"

    I wonder what you're measuring to reach that conclusion.
    Where is it weak? The converters? The clock? What would
    you replace it with that would be better?

    "james of tucson" <fishbowl@radagast.home.conservatory.com> wrote in
    message news:slrncus5rq.7tr.fishbowl@radagast.home.conservatory.com
    > On 2005-01-19, genericaudioperson@hotmail.com
    > <genericaudioperson@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> While the 24/96 is NOT "audiophile"
    >
    > I wonder what you're measuring to reach that conclusion.
    > Where is it weak?

    Not balanced I/O, no support for +4 levels.

    >The converters? The clock? What would you replace it with that would be
    >better?

    Audiophile 24/192, Delta 1010LT, Delta 1010

    On 2005-01-19, Rudence <take.du@SPAMMERZmailcity.com> wrote:

    > Hello. I have the ASUS P4S533-MX motherboard which uses the SiS 651 chipset,

    I know you already have a board, and that you have a 478 cpu. But if
    you want a motherboard recommendation, here it is: Asus P5P800, Intel
    865, LGA775 chip. It's a fanless mobo, you put a Zalman 7000 on the
    CPU, and underclock it a bit, and you've got a nice quiet DAW box with
    no compatability problems. Add Seagate SATA drives (ST drives are
    *quiet* and *fast*), put it in an Antec Sonata case, and you've got a
    hell of a good machine, as quiet as PC's of this order can be. (I
    replaced one of my Shuttles with what I just described).

    My comment about SiS is based on numerous bad past experiences with SiS
    boards, nothing to do with the current Asus board you have. For A/V
    systems, I've learned to go with Intel chipsets, since it's the only way
    I've consistently avoided compatability issues.

    On the other hand, I've had a bunch of Delta cards, never a problem
    except trying to use one on an Epia/Mini-ITX machine that was just plain
    underpowered.

    dude, it's so obvious.

    just listen to it.

    On 2005-01-19, Arny Krueger <arnyk@hotpop.com> wrote:

    > Audiophile 24/192, Delta 1010LT, Delta 1010

    Ok, so you have no problem with the Envy24/ICE171x architecture, but
    with the implementation on the AP2496. Cool, thanks!

    "james of tucson" <fishbowl@radagast.home.conservatory.com> wrote in
    message news:slrncutcde.7tr.fishbowl@radagast.home.conservatory.com
    > On 2005-01-19, Arny Krueger <arnyk@hotpop.com> wrote:
    >

    >> Audiophile 24/192, Delta 1010LT, Delta 1010
    >
    > Ok, so you have no problem with the Envy24/ICE171x architecture, but
    > with the implementation on the AP2496. Cool, thanks!

    No, no problems with the AP2496, either. Just slipped from my list.

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 08:16:41 GMT, james of tucson
    <fishbowl@radagast.home.conservatory.com> wrote:

    >> While the 24/96 is NOT "audiophile"
    >
    >I wonder what you're measuring to reach that conclusion.
    >Where is it weak? The converters? The clock? What would
    >you replace it with that would be better?

    It's probably better than "audiophile". You can better it with
    professional audio gear. Though not all that much.

Pro Audio Sis Chipsets Audio Motherboards