Most reliable router

zoman

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
I need to buy a new router and I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction.

I need a reliable router; one that will maintain a steady internet connection with the ISP indefinately and one that will never have to be restarted. I don't care so much about what features are included. I don't care about how long the product will last. All I care about is that it be something which I can hookup and completely forget about for at least 4 months or more at a time. Also it needs to provide a steady connection. Wifi would be appreciated but it's really not my priority. My budget is up to $300.

Please refer me to what you would consider the most reliable router.

Thanks.

Solution
Your requirements are wide open. You can expect just about ANY commercially available router to do its thing reliably for years on end given the following environment.

#1. Clean uninterrupted power. Use a quality UPS. If you have the facility for it, a power transfer switch with dual independent / redundant power, UPS protected would be best, but stinking expensive...
#2. Reliable modem / WAN adapter and ISP connection.

You are FAR more likely to have problems with your ISP connection than you are to have problems with your router.

To put things in perspective. I ran with an SMC Barricade 7008ABR from purchase in about June 2002, until September 13 2008 without a single reboot. The only reason it went down when it did was due to...

dbhosttexas

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Your requirements are wide open. You can expect just about ANY commercially available router to do its thing reliably for years on end given the following environment.

#1. Clean uninterrupted power. Use a quality UPS. If you have the facility for it, a power transfer switch with dual independent / redundant power, UPS protected would be best, but stinking expensive...
#2. Reliable modem / WAN adapter and ISP connection.

You are FAR more likely to have problems with your ISP connection than you are to have problems with your router.

To put things in perspective. I ran with an SMC Barricade 7008ABR from purchase in about June 2002, until September 13 2008 without a single reboot. The only reason it went down when it did was due to the landfall of Hurricane Ike.

For your purposes I wouldn't hesitate to go with a router from Netgear, Linksys, TrendNET, Actiontech, etc...

From my prior experiences, the only routers I would steer clear of, and I know others like theirs and will disagree with me, but I would stay away from anything D-Link makes...

Solution

khallodah

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
srry my answer gonna be sort. from my experience I tried these brands Trendnet, 3xTp-links, Intellinet and Cradle Point. If u r looking 4 reliability only I would recommend Cradle Point with no hesitation. It has been stable for over year and a half now even though it was in terrible conditions like heat and humidity. But even the new products from this Co. still falling behind in terms of network speed, they dont support AC yet.

I read allot of good stuff about ASUS ASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router I thnk it could be a good compromise betweet speed and reliability. good luck

TRENDING THREADS