Convert a parallel port for serial port devices

pcmaster

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
i have no serial port in my pc. but i want to purchase a device which can only connect through a serial port. I have also seen an adapter that converts parallel port to serial port so i can plug my device into the adapter and i can plug in my adapter into the parallel port in my pc. can someone please tell me if this will work.

thanks

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Have you looked at one of the USB to serial port converters. That seems a better idea than what you are thinking.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Yes it will work. You are talking about a serial to parallel converter. They sometimes call those DB9 to DB25 connectors.

<i><font color=blue>There is no failure when you believe in success.</font color=blue></i>

svol

Champion
Are you sure those are for parallel ports... and not for the old 25-pin serial ports... they differ a lot you know.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
You are right, must have been too late for me. What I was really refering to was the old 25 pin serial ports. Thx for correcting me. But I think they do have some sort parallel-to-serial adaptor, but those are expensive.

<i><font color=blue>There is no failure when you believe in success.</font color=blue></i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The first respondant is more likely to put you on track, USB to Serial port adapters are more common and less expensive, I've seen them for around $9 online.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>