Hearst Castle

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
April 22, 2004 3:16:09 PM

I'm going to be visiting Hearst Castle in California. Does Sprint have
coverage there?
A friend of mine was there last year and said his Verizon phone worked fine.
Thanks

More about : hearst castle

April 22, 2004 4:44:49 PM

Someone who has actually been there......... please

"cr" <cr_resources@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm going to be visiting Hearst Castle in California. Does Sprint have
> coverage there?
> A friend of mine was there last year and said his Verizon phone worked
fine.
> Thanks

Anonymous
April 22, 2004 7:42:08 PM

In article <75idnTvm9OUkfBrdRVn-ig@adelphia.com>,
"cr" <cr_resources@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm going to be visiting Hearst Castle in California. Does Sprint have
> coverage there?
> A friend of mine was there last year and said his Verizon phone worked fine.
> Thanks

If you go by SprintPCS' map online, south of Big Sur, they have no
native coverage along Highway 1.
April 22, 2004 7:47:55 PM

"Robert M." wrote:

> In article <75idnTvm9OUkfBrdRVn-ig@adelphia.com>,
> "cr" <cr_resources@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm going to be visiting Hearst Castle in California. Does Sprint have
> > coverage there?
> > A friend of mine was there last year and said his Verizon phone worked fine.
> > Thanks
>
> If you go by SprintPCS' map online, south of Big Sur, they have no
> native coverage along Highway 1.

But roaming's a good possibility.

Larry
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 7:59:35 PM

"Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message news:<rmarkoff-7F8AE1.10420022042004@news04.east.earthlink.net>...
> In article <75idnTvm9OUkfBrdRVn-ig@adelphia.com>,
> "cr" <cr_resources@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm going to be visiting Hearst Castle in California. Does Sprint have
> > coverage there?
> > A friend of mine was there last year and said his Verizon phone worked fine.
> > Thanks
>
> If you go by SprintPCS' map online, south of Big Sur, they have no
> native coverage along Highway 1.

Sprint absolutely has native (non-roaming) coverage at Hearst Castle.
It's shown right on the map that I'm looking at. (I was also there in
December and coverage).
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 7:59:49 PM

In article <4087E957.95EAC3B9@spamcop.net>,
Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote:

> "Robert M." wrote:
> >
> > In article <75idnTvm9OUkfBrdRVn-ig@adelphia.com>,
> > "cr" <cr_resources@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm going to be visiting Hearst Castle in California. Does Sprint have
> > > coverage there?
> > > A friend of mine was there last year and said his Verizon phone worked
> > > fine.
> > > Thanks
> >
> > If you go by SprintPCS' map online, south of Big Sur, they have no
> > native coverage along Highway 1.
>
> But roaming's a good possibility.

Hope he has a roaming plan, and a phone that works well in Analog mode.
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 8:01:42 PM

"cr" <cr_resources@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<75idnTvm9OUkfBrdRVn-ig@adelphia.com>...
> I'm going to be visiting Hearst Castle in California. Does Sprint have
> coverage there?
> A friend of mine was there last year and said his Verizon phone worked fine.
> Thanks

Yes Sprint does have coverage at Hearst Castle now. The new tower was
put up last year.
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 8:16:22 PM

"Robert M." wrote:

> In article <4087E957.95EAC3B9@spamcop.net>,
> Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote:
>
> > "Robert M." wrote:

> > > If you go by SprintPCS' map online, south of Big Sur, they have no
> > > native coverage along Highway 1.
> >
> > But roaming's a good possibility.
>
> Hope he has a roaming plan, and a phone that works well in Analog mode.

Hence, the reason to stick with tri-mode, dual-band!

Larry
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 8:33:04 PM

In article <4087EFD5.AF416A99@spamcop.net>,

> > > But roaming's a good possibility.
> >
> > Hope he has a roaming plan, and a phone that works well in Analog mode.
>
> Hence, the reason to stick with tri-mode, dual-band!

But if he has a non upgraded A500, or a black Samsung 8500, that wou;dnt
help.
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 8:34:01 PM

"Lawrence Glasser" <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> "Robert M." wrote:
> >
> > In article <4087E957.95EAC3B9@spamcop.net>,
> > Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote:

> > > But roaming's a good possibility.
> >
> > Hope he has a roaming plan, and a phone that works well in Analog mode.
>
> Hence, the reason to stick with tri-mode, dual-band!
>
> Larry

True ... In saying that though, San Simeon, CA is listed as a being in the
coverage area in SPCS's coverage database.

Bob
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 8:46:00 PM

"Robert M." wrote:

> > > Hope he has a roaming plan, and a phone that works well in Analog mode.
> >
> > Hence, the reason to stick with tri-mode, dual-band!
>
> But if he has a non upgraded A500, or a black Samsung 8500, that wou;dnt
> help.

What's a "non upgraded A500?"

Larry
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 9:02:44 PM

In article <4087F6C7.FC8E38DD@spamcop.net>,
Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote:

> What's a "non upgraded A500?"

One without WD19 firmware
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 9:11:49 PM

> > > Hope he has a roaming plan, and a phone that works well in Analog
mode.

> > Hence, the reason to stick with tri-mode, dual-band!
>
> But if he has a non upgraded A500, or a black Samsung 8500, that wou;dnt
> help.

You infer that neither of these models can roam in analog, and that's simply
not the case. Samsung released a bad batch of phones, in these two lines and
with the 3500 line as well.

I had a 3500 that experienced that problem, after 18 months of use and had
the phone replaced, and it worked well, till I replaced it with a Sanyo
4700.

My daughter's A500, which she's had for over 18 months, roams in Analog
quite well when she's out of SPCS's coverage area.

Bob
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 9:15:01 PM

"Robert M." wrote:

> In article <4087F6C7.FC8E38DD@spamcop.net>,
> Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote:
>
> > What's a "non upgraded A500?"
>
> One without WD19 firmware

I was under the impression that PRLs were the only updates
necessary for improved roaming.

What improvement does a firmware update make?

Larry

PS - For whatever it's worth, the latest firmware version
is WD29.
April 22, 2004 9:42:11 PM

Robert M. wrote:

> But if he has a non upgraded A500, or a black Samsung 8500, that wou;dnt
> help.

I can tell you that even with firmware in the VI## series (been a long
time - VI10 and VI16?) I've roamed with an A500.
-mike
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 11:08:34 PM

In article <4087FDC2.3EEF9C59@spamcop.net>,
Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote:

> "Robert M." wrote:
> >
> > In article <4087F6C7.FC8E38DD@spamcop.net>,
> > Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote:
> >
> > > What's a "non upgraded A500?"
> >
> > One without WD19 firmware
>
> I was under the impression that PRLs were the only updates
> necessary for improved roaming.
>
> What improvement does a firmware update make?
>
> Larry
>
> PS - For whatever it's worth, the latest firmware version
> is WD29.

On the A500, WD29 apparently improved it functionality for roaming
April 22, 2004 11:36:55 PM

Thanks! Larry
Just curious do you know where the tower is?
As I mentioned a friend of mine was there and he swears the site was on
Hearst Castle itself....a microcell perhaps?
He said he got 5 bars on his phone all around the property.
This was with his Verizon phone.
He said he couldn't see any other towers in the area.

"Larry Thomas" <larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "cr" <cr_resources@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I'm going to be visiting Hearst Castle in California. Does Sprint have
> > coverage there?
> > A friend of mine was there last year and said his Verizon phone worked
fine.
> > Thanks
>
> Yes Sprint does have coverage at Hearst Castle now. The new tower was
> put up last year.
April 22, 2004 11:45:13 PM

"cr" <cr_resources@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<9J-dneKtW_IZaxrdRVn-hA@adelphia.com>...
> Someone who has actually been there......... please

What part of CA is it in? What's it near, I may know some people out there.
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 3:46:25 AM

cr wrote:

> Thanks! Larry
> Just curious do you know where the tower is?
> As I mentioned a friend of mine was there and he swears the site was on
> Hearst Castle itself....a microcell perhaps?
> He said he got 5 bars on his phone all around the property.
> This was with his Verizon phone.
> He said he couldn't see any other towers in the area.

For those of you who have seen the following statement, or something
similar, just ignore it. For those who haven't, it's worth repeating:

One should never look at the number of "bars" as any indication of
signal strength. They're put there by the manufacturer of the phone.
One manufacturer might decide that a weak signal deserves one bar,
while the next thinks two would be more appropriate. Etc., etc. Not
only is there no standard between manufacturers, there's not even a
standard between phones from the *same* manufacturer.

Larry
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 3:49:47 AM

"Lawrence Glasser" <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:4088597E.BEE9E8E0@spamcop.net...
> cr wrote:
> >
> > Thanks! Larry
> > Just curious do you know where the tower is?
> > As I mentioned a friend of mine was there and he swears the site was on
> > Hearst Castle itself....a microcell perhaps?
> > He said he got 5 bars on his phone all around the property.
> > This was with his Verizon phone.
> > He said he couldn't see any other towers in the area.
>
> For those of you who have seen the following statement, or something
> similar, just ignore it. For those who haven't, it's worth repeating:
>
> One should never look at the number of "bars" as any indication of
> signal strength. They're put there by the manufacturer of the phone.
> One manufacturer might decide that a weak signal deserves one bar,
> while the next thinks two would be more appropriate. Etc., etc. Not
> only is there no standard between manufacturers, there's not even a
> standard between phones from the *same* manufacturer.
>
> Larry

There's not even a standard on what the bars represent!
It could be signal strength, or it could be signal-to-noise ratio.
---JRC---
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 3:55:10 AM

In article <9c02589b.0404221501.3524f67f@posting.google.com>,
larryt510@hotmail.com (Larry Thomas) wrote:

> "cr" <cr_resources@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I'm going to be visiting Hearst Castle in California. Does Sprint have
> > coverage there?
> > A friend of mine was there last year and said his Verizon phone worked
> > fine.
> > Thanks
>
> Yes Sprint does have coverage at Hearst Castle now. The new tower was
> put up last year.

A - Its not on the new coverage map.

B- Its a sad commentary on the maps, when the OP refuses to believe
what the maps say, and you confirm the maps are wrong.
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 3:56:10 AM

In article <9c02589b.0404221459.633e3bda@posting.google.com>,
larryt510@hotmail.com (Larry Thomas) wrote:

> > If you go by SprintPCS' map online, south of Big Sur, they have no
> > native coverage along Highway 1.
>
> Sprint absolutely has native (non-roaming) coverage at Hearst Castle.
> It's shown right on the map that I'm looking at. (I was also there in
> December and coverage).

And the URL for the map you're looking at is?
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 3:56:11 AM

Yes, it's on the posted map, and I knew it because I looked at the map
on April 13 when Larry Thomas posted to this newsgroup:

"I just noticed the Bakersfield, CA map (which oddly is the only map
that shows the CA Central Coast area) has also been updated. There's a
lot of new coverage along Hwy 101 between Santa Barbara and Monterey."

http://www.google.com/groups?selm=9c02589b.0404131537.2...

So use the SPCS website to show the map for Bakersfield, Fresno,
Lemoore, or Visalia, CA. See that spot of coverage all by itself on the
coast? That's San Simeon! San Simeon is listed on the drop-down list of
cities, but unfortunately, if you pick it, you get the SF Bay Area map.

Robert M. wrote:
> In article <9c02589b.0404221459.633e3bda@posting.google.com>,
> larryt510@hotmail.com (Larry Thomas) wrote:
>

>>>If you go by SprintPCS' map online, south of Big Sur, they have no
>>>native coverage along Highway 1.
>>
>>Sprint absolutely has native (non-roaming) coverage at Hearst Castle.
>>It's shown right on the map that I'm looking at. (I was also there in
>>December and coverage).
>

> And the URL for the map you're looking at is?

April 23, 2004 3:56:39 AM

"Robert M." wrote:

> In article <9c02589b.0404221501.3524f67f@posting.google.com>,
> larryt510@hotmail.com (Larry Thomas) wrote:
>
> > "cr" <cr_resources@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm going to be visiting Hearst Castle in California. Does Sprint have
> > > coverage there?
> > > A friend of mine was there last year and said his Verizon phone worked
> > > fine.
> > > Thanks
> >
> > Yes Sprint does have coverage at Hearst Castle now. The new tower was
> > put up last year.
>
> A - Its not on the new coverage map.
>
> B- Its a sad commentary on the maps, when the OP refuses to believe
> what the maps say, and you confirm the maps are wrong.

Life's a sad commentary.

Deal with it.

Larry
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 6:10:46 AM

In article <40885BE4.5454BE9E@spamcop.net>,
Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote:

> "Robert M." wrote:
> >
> > In article <9c02589b.0404221501.3524f67f@posting.google.com>,
> > larryt510@hotmail.com (Larry Thomas) wrote:
> >
> > > "cr" <cr_resources@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Yes Sprint does have coverage at Hearst Castle now. The new tower was
> > > put up last year.
> >
> > A - Its not on the new coverage map.
> >
> > B- Its a sad commentary on the maps, when the OP refuses to believe
> > what the maps say, and you confirm the maps are wrong.
>
> Life's a sad commentary.
>
> Deal with it.

Thank you for confirming how worthless SprintPCS' coverage maps are.
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 8:46:31 AM

"TechGeek" <pcsguy@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:7e761144.0404221845.1ac276a4@posting.google.com...

> What part of CA is it in? What's it near, I may know some people out there.

San Simeon, near the coast, halfway between San Francisco and LA:
http://www.hearstcastle.org/visitors_center/directions....

--

John Richards
Anonymous

I just wrote to SPCS and asked that they make a correction to the
website so that the right map appears when one selects San Simeon, and
that they label the isolated, covered costal town on the map.

Frank Harris wrote:

> Yes, it's on the posted map, and I knew it because I looked at the map
> on April 13 when Larry Thomas posted to this newsgroup:
>
> "I just noticed the Bakersfield, CA map (which oddly is the only map
> that shows the CA Central Coast area) has also been updated. There's a
> lot of new coverage along Hwy 101 between Santa Barbara and Monterey."
>
> http://www.google.com/groups?selm=9c02589b.0404131537.2...
>

> So use the SPCS website to show the map for Bakersfield, Fresno,
> Lemoore, or Visalia, CA. See that spot of coverage all by itself on the
> coast? That's San Simeon! San Simeon is listed on the drop-down list of
> cities, but unfortunately, if you pick it, you get the SF Bay Area map.
>
> Robert M. wrote:

>>> Sprint absolutely has native (non-roaming) coverage at Hearst Castle.
>>> It's shown right on the map that I'm looking at. (I was also there in
>>> December and coverage).
>>

>> And the URL for the map you're looking at is?

April 23, 2004 1:41:39 PM

> "cr" <cr_resources@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Someone who has actually been there......... please

Again demonstrates how worthless SprintPCS coverage maps are considered.
April 23, 2004 1:41:40 PM

rmarkoff@msn.com (Robert M.) wrote:
<<Again demonstrates how worthless SprintPCS coverage maps are
considered. >>

But they were good enough for you a couple of weeks back to spout off
like an expert when someone asked about coverage in MN, or whatever
state that was?
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 5:11:49 PM

In article <c6b414$id8$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>,
Frank Harris <frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote:

> I just wrote to SPCS and asked that they make a correction to the
> website so that the right map appears when one selects San Simeon, and
> that they label the isolated, covered costal town on the map.

Where does one write to? I stopped using the web based forms as they
always came back with instructions to call an 800 number.

Seems like a waste of money to do that.
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 5:11:50 PM

Robert M. wrote:

> In article <c6b414$id8$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>,
> Frank Harris <frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote:
>
>>I just wrote to SPCS and asked that they make a correction to the
>>website so that the right map appears when one selects San Simeon, and
>>that they label the isolated, covered costal town on the map.
>

> Where does one write to? I stopped using the web based forms as they
> always came back with instructions to call an 800 number.
>
> Seems like a waste of money to do that.

1. Display a coverage map.

2. Click on the "Contact Us" link on the bottom of the map page. This
opens a new Contact Us window.

3. In the top section, labeled "email us", click on the "email us" link.
This opens in the same window a form.

4. Fill in name, number, email address, choose a topic (I chose
"website"), and type or paste in up to 1200 characters of comment. Then
click Submit.

After I did so, I received an automated reply says, among other things,
that "Sprint Customer Solutions has received your email and will respond
to your request within 24 hours"

Actually, I see now that the "Contact Us" link is at the bottom of many
pages of the website, including the home page. The first time I tried
it on the home page, it opened a second window of the home page, but
next time it opened a Contact Us window as desired. I'm using Mozilla 1.6.

And here's the non-automated response I received:

Dear Frank,

I understand your concern regarding the coverage information being
reflected inappropriately.

I appreciate your cooperation in bringing this to our notice and thank
you for the same. I have forwarded your note to the concern department
to make the required changes.

Additionally, you can write your concern without any restrictions of
character limits by replying to this email. I also apologize for the
inconvenience caused due to this. [P.S. I wrote thanking them for
allowing 1200 characters, which I thought was a good amount, but Derrick
is offering me a way of saying even more words.]

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

Derrick G.

April 23, 2004 5:59:29 PM

Frank Harris <frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote in message news:<c6b414$id8$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>...
> I just wrote to SPCS and asked that they make a correction to the
> website so that the right map appears when one selects San Simeon, and
> that they label the isolated, covered costal town on the map.

Frank,

I've been meaning to write to them as well (although I'm not sure it
will do any good). They also have the Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo
CA areas linked to the Los Angeles map (which only shows as far North
as Ventura). Once again a big mistake.
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 6:02:59 PM

"cr" <cr_resources@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<o_mdnSch1o6HyhXdRVn-vA@adelphia.com>...
> Thanks! Larry
> Just curious do you know where the tower is?
> As I mentioned a friend of mine was there and he swears the site was on
> Hearst Castle itself....a microcell perhaps?
> He said he got 5 bars on his phone all around the property.
> This was with his Verizon phone.
> He said he couldn't see any other towers in the area.

I believe all the carriers were allowed to co-locate and build an
antenna together right next to Hearst Castle. I read a news article
about last year. That explains why he got a great signal.
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 6:08:45 PM

In article <c6b6p7$ke3$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>,
Frank Harris <frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote:

> And here's the non-automated response I received:

Thats real progress. Good to hear.
Anonymous
April 24, 2004 12:30:09 AM

Frank Harris <frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote in message news:<c6b6p7$ke3>
> 1. Display a coverage map.
>
> 2. Click on the "Contact Us" link on the bottom of the map page. This
> opens a new Contact Us window.
>
> 3. In the top section, labeled "email us", click on the "email us" link.
> This opens in the same window a form.
>
> 4. Fill in name, number, email address, choose a topic (I chose
> "website"), and type or paste in up to 1200 characters of comment. Then
> click Submit.
>
> After I did so, I received an automated reply says, among other things,
> that "Sprint Customer Solutions has received your email and will respond
> to your request within 24 hours"
>
> Actually, I see now that the "Contact Us" link is at the bottom of many
> pages of the website, including the home page. The first time I tried
> it on the home page, it opened a second window of the home page, but
> next time it opened a Contact Us window as desired. I'm using Mozilla 1.6.
>
> And here's the non-automated response I received:
>
> Dear Frank,
>
> I understand your concern regarding the coverage information being
> reflected inappropriately.
>
> I appreciate your cooperation in bringing this to our notice and thank
> you for the same. I have forwarded your note to the concern department
> to make the required changes.
>
> Additionally, you can write your concern without any restrictions of
> character limits by replying to this email. I also apologize for the
> inconvenience caused due to this. [P.S. I wrote thanking them for
> allowing 1200 characters, which I thought was a good amount, but Derrick
> is offering me a way of saying even more words.]
>
> Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.
>
> Derrick G.

Here's the respone I just got when I wrote to them about San Luis
Obispo mistakenly being linked to the Los Angeles map:

Dear Larry,

This is in response to your concern about correcting the mistake in
the
coverage map on our Web site.

The coverage map on the web site for North of Ventura, CA, you are
viewing on the basis of zip code which has a wider view. To give you
more specific information about coverage, I need precise details for
the
city with its zip code. I will be be happy to give you the coverage
information about the area you want.

Per my knowledge, the map shown on the Web site are correct. However,
you believe if it is not correct, please give us your feedback by
visiting our Web site by following steps:

1. Click on the following hyperlink:

http://www.sprintpcs.com

2. Enter your PCS Phone number and account password and click on the
'Sign on' tab;
3. On the next page, click on the 'Plus' sign above 'Feedback'
[extreme
bottom right corner of the page].

Follow the instructions to supply feedback.

We appreciate you contacting us.

Aaron S.
eCare

Well looks like I got nowhere with them. I already gave them all the
precise details (like they are now asking me for). In additon he seems
to be doubting that the maps are incorrect. What a waste of time.
April 24, 2004 2:51:41 AM

Well I found my answer
They are disguised as pine trees

TeleFlage Corp. announced the successful creation and installation of two
95-foot Ponderosa pine trees at the historic Hearst Castle in San Simeon,
Calif. The trees, which are used to camouflage antenna coverage for wireless
carriers, meet stringent requirements of the California Coastal Commission,
the California State Parks and the Federal National Historic Landmark
Association. The project was spearheaded by Cingular Wireless and designed
as a shared-location facility with the cooperation of seven carriers.

"cr" <cr_resources@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o _mdnSch1o6HyhXdRVn-vA@adelphia.com...
> Thanks! Larry
> Just curious do you know where the tower is?
> As I mentioned a friend of mine was there and he swears the site was on
> Hearst Castle itself....a microcell perhaps?
> He said he got 5 bars on his phone all around the property.
> This was with his Verizon phone.
> He said he couldn't see any other towers in the area.
>

> "Larry Thomas" <larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "cr" <cr_resources@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm going to be visiting Hearst Castle in California. Does Sprint have
> > > coverage there?
> > > A friend of mine was there last year and said his Verizon phone worked
> fine.
> > > Thanks
> >
> > Yes Sprint does have coverage at Hearst Castle now. The new tower was
> > put up last year.

April 24, 2004 2:59:48 AM

> Well I found my answer
> They are disguised as pine trees
>

> TeleFlage Corp. announced the successful creation and installation of two
> 95-foot Ponderosa pine trees at the historic Hearst Castle in San Simeon,
> Calif. The trees, which are used to camouflage antenna coverage for
wireless
> carriers, meet stringent requirements of the California Coastal
Commission,
> the California State Parks and the Federal National Historic Landmark
> Association. The project was spearheaded by Cingular Wireless and designed
> as a shared-location facility with the cooperation of seven carriers.

And after a little research here they are
So much for the people who insisted there was no coverage

http://www.teleflage.com/CD/062403catalog/frame.htm

> "cr" <cr_resources@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o _mdnSch1o6HyhXdRVn-vA@adelphia.com...
> > Thanks! Larry
> > Just curious do you know where the tower is?
> > As I mentioned a friend of mine was there and he swears the site was on
> > Hearst Castle itself....a microcell perhaps?
> > He said he got 5 bars on his phone all around the property.
> > This was with his Verizon phone.
> > He said he couldn't see any other towers in the area.
> >

> > "Larry Thomas" <larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > "cr" <cr_resources@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > fine.
> > >
> > > Yes Sprint does have coverage at Hearst Castle now. The new tower was
> > > put up last year.

April 24, 2004 3:15:09 AM

> "cr" <cr_resources@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Well I found my answer
> > They are disguised as pine trees
> >

> > TeleFlage Corp. announced the successful creation and installation of
two
> > 95-foot Ponderosa pine trees at the historic Hearst Castle in San
Simeon,
> > Calif. The trees, which are used to camouflage antenna coverage for
> wireless
> > carriers, meet stringent requirements of the California Coastal
> Commission,
> > the California State Parks and the Federal National Historic Landmark
> > Association. The project was spearheaded by Cingular Wireless and
designed
> > as a shared-location facility with the cooperation of seven carriers.
>

> And after a little research here they are
> And most everybody said there was no coverage
>
> http://www.teleflage.com/CD/062403catalog/frame.htm

Click on designs

!