Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cascading routers with coax wire???

Last response: in Networking
February 21, 2013 8:32:34 PM

I have Verizon Fios. They deliver the internet from their box to their router via coax wire. From then I use my cat 6 wire to my computer. My 2nd router (slave) does not have a coax port, so I can not set it up as the slave. Is it still possible to cascade my routers and if so how?
I have my main router on one end of the house, 100ft away are the kids rooms without a decent wireless signal. I just bought 150 ft of cat6 wire but need to create some kind of hot spot over there so they can connect wirelessly. Please help
February 21, 2013 9:19:51 PM

Your second router should have an RJ45 WAN port. Connect the cat 6 to one of the LAN ports on your first router, and the other end to the WAN port on your slave router.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

February 21, 2013 10:52:17 PM

Syres1 said:
The master router is not supposed to be connected until the end of the set up. At least thats what it said on this sticky
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/33700-42-ultimate-mod...
Soooo????? Can I still set it up even tho the master is hooked up?

Yes. The poster that wrote that was assuming a brand new setup. Honestly, I tend to disagree with the original poster in the order. The thing that is mostly important is that the routers are configured independently such that the master doesn't issue the slave router's IP address out, and that the slave router's DHCP server is disabled.

Only after both routers are configured, should you physically connect the ethernet cable from the master, to slave routers...
February 22, 2013 12:27:32 AM

ok i'll give it a shot tomorrow. Thank you
m
l
February 22, 2013 12:27:46 AM

Best answer selected by Syres1.
m
l
!