Help with DAT Tape

I found a box of these tapes for sale at th local pawn shop:
Maxell HS4/120S Helical Scan 4mm Data Cartridge

The owner insists that they can be used in audio DAT machines (I use a Fostex D5) but they say data cartridge on them.

Any thoughts on their intended use.
He wants $5 for the box of ten but I don't need yet another item hanging around I can't use.

Thanks

More about help tape

    In article <10ut4o0te7ch7b6@corp.supernews.com>, Gene Poole <me@you.com> wrote:
    >I found a box of these tapes for sale at th local pawn shop:
    >Maxell HS4/120S Helical Scan 4mm Data Cartridge

    That's a 120 meter tape.

    >The owner insists that they can be used in audio DAT machines (I use a Fostex D5) but they say data cartridge on them.

    The 60 meter data tape are just fine for audio machines. The 90m and 120m
    tapes will occasionally work on some machines but will not be reliable because
    the tape is so thin. Some people use them anyway because they need the longer
    running times for logging applications and don't mind the dropouts.

    >Any thoughts on their intended use.

    They are intended for use in DDS computer drives.
    --scott

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:02:48 -0500, Gene Poole wrote:

    > I found a box of these tapes for sale at th local pawn shop:
    > Maxell HS4/120S Helical Scan 4mm Data Cartridge
    >
    > The owner insists that they can be used in audio DAT machines (I use a Fostex D5) but they say data cartridge on them.
    >
    > Any thoughts on their intended use.
    > He wants $5 for the box of ten but I don't need yet another item hanging around I can't use.
    >
    > Thanks

    It has nothing to do with the *data* part but with the length.

    I believe the D5 is the same as a Tascam Da-20 (Pioneer transport?) and I
    can tell you for a fact that the 90 meter tapes will NOT work reliably
    with my machine.
    I wouldn't even try the 120's.

    Find yourself a pile of 60m tapes and you will be fine.

    I use branded DATA Cartridges all the time in my fostex D5 but only for
    rough mixes and drafts. So far I have not had any problems and I find the
    long recording times convenient...
    For final mixes I use only proper DAT tapes.

    In article <10ut4o0te7ch7b6@corp.supernews.com> me@you.com writes:

    > I found a box of these tapes for sale at th local pawn shop:
    > Maxell HS4/120S Helical Scan 4mm Data Cartridge
    >
    > The owner insists that they can be used in audio DAT machines (I use a Fostex
    > D5) but they say data cartridge on them.

    I'd be suspicious that the "120" in the type number is 120 meters. A
    standard DAT - digital AUDIO tape - is 60 meters and to make a longer
    tape, they make it thinner. The thin tape doesn't work very well (or
    at all) in many DAT decks.

    But for five bucks for the box you can give it a try and if they don't
    work in your machine, you can put them up for sale on eBay, advertise
    them as "long play DAT tape" and probalby get $5 a piece for them. If
    you didn't know about the thinner tape, chances are there are plenty
    of others who don't, too.

    I used some of the Maxell 120 meter tapes in my Fostex PD-2 and Fostex PD-4
    and never had an issue with drop outs or higher than normal corrected
    errors. I used them for two-track reference mixes when multi-tracking live
    music in clubs. One tape for the whole night. My normal DAT tape of choice
    for location-sound dialog recording (my main gig) has been Maxell Pro 124's
    (125's) for many many years now and I've also never had an issue. I would
    recommend exercising the tape once before recording...especially with the
    longer data tapes.

    Charles Tomaras
    Seattle, WA

    > In article <10ut4o0te7ch7b6@corp.supernews.com> me@you.com writes:
    >
    >> I found a box of these tapes for sale at th local pawn shop:
    >> Maxell HS4/120S Helical Scan 4mm Data Cartridge
    >>
    >> The owner insists that they can be used in audio DAT machines (I use a
    >> Fostex
    >> D5) but they say data cartridge on them.
    >
    > I'd be suspicious that the "120" in the type number is 120 meters. A
    > standard DAT - digital AUDIO tape - is 60 meters and to make a longer
    > tape, they make it thinner. The thin tape doesn't work very well (or
    > at all) in many DAT decks.
    >
    > But for five bucks for the box you can give it a try and if they don't
    > work in your machine, you can put them up for sale on eBay, advertise
    > them as "long play DAT tape" and probalby get $5 a piece for them. If
    > you didn't know about the thinner tape, chances are there are plenty
    > of others who don't, too.
    >

    > --
    > I'm really Mike Rivers - (mrivers@d-and-d.com)

    Tascam particularly warns against the use of 120 meter tape in the DA-P1
    portable recorder.

    George

    On 19 Jan 2005 12:12:51 -0500, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

    >The 60 meter data tape are just fine for audio machines. The 90m and 120m
    >tapes will occasionally work on some machines but will not be reliable because
    >the tape is so thin. Some people use them anyway because they need the longer
    >running times for logging applications and don't mind the dropouts.

    I have used ONLY 90 meter tapes in a Sony portable M1 (with playback
    mostly in a Sony R500 full size deck) for five years, probably around
    500 tapes, and so far as I can see (sound, error count) have NEVER
    had a problem from tape, and normal servicing of my machines
    at ProDigital with no special or unusual wear to the transport. If
    that's not reliable, I'd like to know what is.

    Jeff

    In article <39OdnUyY5-MEwnLcRVn-iQ@comcast.com> tomaras@tomaras.com writes:

    > I used some of the Maxell 120 meter tapes in my Fostex PD-2 and Fostex PD-4
    > and never had an issue with drop outs or higher than normal corrected
    > errors.

    You were lucky. The problem with the thin tape isn't with errors or
    dropouts, it's with the mechanics of the transport. There are holes in
    the shell of the cassette that identify what it is, and DAT data
    drives have sensors to read those holes. DAT audio drives do not. A
    data drive will sense that it's thin tape and reduce the tension so
    that it doesn't jam in the transport.

    Some audio transports are tolerant of thin tape, some can be adjusted
    to use it (but then they don't work right with standard DAT
    cassettes), and I've even heard a case or two back when I followed the
    DAT-Heads mailing list where guides were bent and had to be replaced
    after untangling a thin tape.

    If you hunt up and search through the archives of the DAT-Heads list
    (just search Google for "DAT-Heads" you'll see what machines have been
    reported to work smoothly with thin tape and which you shouldn't use
    it at all. Long tapes were very popular with the Deadhead tapers since
    the Grateful Dead often did sets longer than two hours.

    I don't remember if I or someone else mentioned it, but 90 meter (3
    hour audio recording) data tape almost always works in almost all DAT
    recorders. It's the same thickness as the audio-only tape, just more
    of it loaded into the cassette.

    kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

    >In article <10ut4o0te7ch7b6@corp.supernews.com>, Gene Poole <me@you.com> wrote:
    >>I found a box of these tapes for sale at th local pawn shop:
    >>Maxell HS4/120S Helical Scan 4mm Data Cartridge
    >
    >That's a 120 meter tape.

    Which is 4 hours recording time.

    >>The owner insists that they can be used in audio DAT machines (I use a Fostex D5) but they say data cartridge on them.
    >
    >The 60 meter data tape are just fine for audio machines. The 90m and 120m
    >tapes will occasionally work on some machines but will not be reliable because
    >the tape is so thin. Some people use them anyway because they need the longer
    >running times for logging applications and don't mind the dropouts.

    About 10 years ago 90m tape became available and DAT decks developed
    since 1995 should inquire the index hole for thin tape in the cartridge
    and adjust the mechanics for that. If the deck calculates the remaining
    time correctly it should be fit for 90m tapes.

    If the deck is not fit for thin tapes it will calculate the tape tension
    wrongly which results in slightly higher head wear - not immediately
    noticable.

    120m tapes are a different story however.

    >>Any thoughts on their intended use.
    >
    >They are intended for use in DDS computer drives.

    As both 90m and 120m tapes have the "thin tape" marker set in the
    cartridge while 120m tape are thinner than 90m tapes the manufacturers
    added a bar code on the back of the tape leader. The bar code tells
    a DDS drive the correct thickness/length of the tape. Unfortunately
    DAT drives cannot read the bar code and thusly use the wrong tape
    tension for 120m tapes. So - most likely - it will work but too high
    a tension is a stress for both the tape and the mechanics.

    Norbert

    Peace,
    Ed Bridge
    Brooklyn N.Y.
    http://www.bridgeclassicalguitars.com/
    "geoley" <geoley@covad.net> wrote in message

    > "Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > In article <10ut4o0te7ch7b6@corp.supernews.com> me@you.com writes:
    > >
    > >> I found a box of these tapes for sale at th local pawn shop:
    > >> Maxell HS4/120S Helical Scan 4mm Data Cartridge
    > >>
    > >> The owner insists that they can be used in audio DAT machines (I use a
    > >> Fostex
    > >> D5) but they say data cartridge on them.
    > >
    > > I'd be suspicious that the "120" in the type number is 120 meters. A
    > > standard DAT - digital AUDIO tape - is 60 meters and to make a longer
    > > tape, they make it thinner. The thin tape doesn't work very well (or
    > > at all) in many DAT decks.
    > >
    > > But for five bucks for the box you can give it a try and if they don't
    > > work in your machine, you can put them up for sale on eBay, advertise
    > > them as "long play DAT tape" and probalby get $5 a piece for them. If
    > > you didn't know about the thinner tape, chances are there are plenty
    > > of others who don't, too.
    > >

    > > --
    > > I'm really Mike Rivers - (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
    > > However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
    > > lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
    > > you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
    > > and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
    >
    > Tascam particularly warns against the use of 120 meter tape in the DA-P1
    > portable recorder.

    How about 90min? I have both Tascam DAP1 and Da-20 and sometimes it would be
    nice not be sweating it knowing I getting close to the end 64min tape and
    when we're doing hr concerts or donigs songs in middle and end of services
    with a long winded person preaching .
    Thanks

    In article <9cRHd.2252$rp1.1758@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net> edbridgeNOSPAM@earthlink.net writes:

    > How about 90min? I have both Tascam DAP1 and Da-20 and sometimes it would be
    > nice not be sweating it knowing I getting close to the end 64min tape

    Those almost always work.

    "Edward Bridge" <edbridge@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    > --
    > Peace,
    > Ed Bridge
    > Brooklyn N.Y.
    > http://www.bridgeclassicalguitars.com/
    > "geoley" <geoley@covad.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote in message

    >> > I'd be suspicious that the "120" in the type number is 120 meters. A
    >> > standard DAT - digital AUDIO tape - is 60 meters and to make a longer
    >> > tape, they make it thinner. The thin tape doesn't work very well (or
    >> > at all) in many DAT decks.
    >> >
    >> > But for five bucks for the box you can give it a try and if they don't
    >> > work in your machine, you can put them up for sale on eBay, advertise
    >> > them as "long play DAT tape" and probalby get $5 a piece for them. If
    >> > you didn't know about the thinner tape, chances are there are plenty
    >> > of others who don't, too.
    >> >

    >> > --
    >> > I'm really Mike Rivers - (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
    >> > However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
    >> > lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
    >> > you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
    >> > and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
    >>
    >> Tascam particularly warns against the use of 120 meter tape in the DA-P1
    >> portable recorder.
    >

    > How about 90min? I have both Tascam DAP1 and Da-20 and sometimes it would
    > be
    > nice not be sweating it knowing I getting close to the end 64min tape
    > and
    > when we're doing hr concerts or donigs songs in middle and end of
    > services
    > with a long winded person preaching .
    > Thanks
    > Ed Bridge
    > Brooklyn N.Y.
    > http://www.bridgeclassicalguitars.com/

    Ed:
    120 meter tape is approx 160 mins and very thin and is likely to jam in
    the transport mechanism, that is why Tascam warns against using it in the
    DA-P1. 60 meter tape approx 125 min, is ok to use in the DA-P1 according to
    Tascam.

    George

    > Those almost always work.

    Hi Mike
    Thank you ,as always . I was feeling a little dumb buying them but I could
    feel a whole lot dumber if I "blew it" . I guess I should get a other
    case of 60 min too.

    --

    > Ed:
    > 120 meter tape is approx 160 mins and very thin and is likely to jam
    in
    > the transport mechanism, that is why Tascam warns against using it in the
    > DA-P1. 60 meter tape approx 125 min, is ok to use in the DA-P1 according
    > Tascam.
    >
    > George

    Whew, here I thought I wasted 50 bucks . Thanks for the info.

    --
    Peace,
    Ed Bridge
    Brooklyn N.Y.