Parents go to play WoW, leave baby to die.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59697

--
Jacob
36 answers Last reply

    Jacob Skaaning wrote:
    > http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59697

    The coroner has listed the official cause of death as 'Darwination'.

    Although, as tragic as that is, it only takes a minute or two to
    suffocate... they could've been in the next *room* and not noticed until
    it was too late. Definitely gross negligence... not sure if it's
    negligence leading to death, though.

    --
    Remove the mess to reply.

    Notice how in america that dont happen... Remember the kid that got shot to
    death playing CS casue the other guy didnt like to loose? That was in
    thaliand wasnt it?

    "Jacob Skaaning" <jskaaning@tiscali.invalid> wrote in message
    > http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59697
    >

    > --
    > Jacob

    > http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59697

    The child died while parents were playing WoW. Not to
    be mistaken with "The child died BECAUSE parents
    were playing wow.". If they had gone out for a walk,
    did shopping, were stuck in a traffic jam, the result
    would have been the same.

    Oh, it's so easy to blame video games.

    -Moa Dragon

    --
    Ma Boîte de Réception est protégée par SPAMfighter
    699 e-mails spam ont été bloqués jusqu'à maintenant.

    "Mils Michael" <mickmils@hotmail.com> writes:

    > > http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59697
    >
    > The child died while parents were playing WoW. Not to
    > be mistaken with "The child died BECAUSE parents
    > were playing wow.". If they had gone out for a walk,
    > did shopping, were stuck in a traffic jam, the result
    > would have been the same.
    >
    > Oh, it's so easy to blame video games.
    >
    > -Moa Dragon

    What parents leave a 4 month old baby alone in the house anyways!!
    They deserve to go to jail.

    --
    Scott Streeter
    ss@wpi.edu

    On 2005-06-22, Anthony <aevansjr3@cox.net> wrote:
    > Notice how in america that dont happen... Remember the kid that got shot to
    > death playing CS casue the other guy didnt like to loose? That was in
    > thaliand wasnt it?

    It would seem according to the media that on-line game addiction
    is having a greater negative impact in the east than in the west,
    but that's only because the media there is making a big deal
    about it.

    Who knows what the real number of incidents related to gaming
    are?

    On 22 Jun 2005 09:48:45 -0400, Scott Streeter <ss@ccc4.wpi.edu> wrote:

    >What parents leave a 4 month old baby alone in the house anyways!!
    >They deserve to go to jail.

    I didn't know you had to leave the house to play WoW.

    Or are you trying to imply that simply not looking at your baby 100%
    of the time is negligent?

    ?

    On 2005-06-22, hammerstein <ask@me.com> wrote:
    > On 22 Jun 2005 09:48:45 -0400, Scott Streeter <ss@ccc4.wpi.edu> wrote:
    >
    >>What parents leave a 4 month old baby alone in the house anyways!!
    >>They deserve to go to jail.
    >
    > I didn't know you had to leave the house to play WoW.
    >
    > Or are you trying to imply that simply not looking at your baby 100%
    > of the time is negligent?

    Mostly. That's why people get babysitters and baby monitors. I
    don't think it's possible to play an MMO hardcore and raise kids
    but I could be wrong.

    shadows wrote:

    > It would seem according to the media that on-line game addiction
    > is having a greater negative impact in the east than in the west,
    > but that's only because the media there is making a big deal
    > about it.
    >
    > Who knows what the real number of incidents related to gaming
    > are?

    The current issue of Discover magazine has an interesting article called
    Your Brain on Computer Games. The author started with the usual notions
    that computer games are harmful, addictive, and allow brains to turn to
    mush ... until he actually tried playing one.

    He bought his 7 year-old nephew a game and decided to try it first in
    case he had to help the boy -- and found the game too difficult to solve
    without the kid's assistance. The researcher decided to try a more adult
    (i.e. not children's) game and found the same thing ... it was darn
    hard. So he decided to fully research and investigate games and
    learning and the results were not what he expected.

    Turns out that games are much better learning tools than books, TVs,
    DVDs, and big classrooms even. Why? Personalized training. Almost every
    game has progressively more difficult levels, requires abstract
    reasoning and control, involves interaction and testing and will not
    generally let you progress to the next level until you are skilled
    enough to do so. You have to learn abstract virtual landscapes and
    investigate to see what objects can be interacted with and how, you have
    to manage virtual inventories for best efficiency, you even have to
    socially interact and remotely cooperate with other players on many of
    the newer games.

    A book doesn't ask the reader "Are you familiar with all the new words
    and concepts written so far?" A TV show or DVD doesn't pause and ask the
    viewer "Have you got the idea yet? Are you ready to learn more?"

    A series of brain scans helped verify that most computer games will
    improve the brain's ability to reason, research, investigate, navigate,
    deduce, and test hypothesis.

    In fact, the only down side to computer games the author could find is
    the health effect ... if you are always sitting at the computer or
    console controls you are not getting any physical exercise. But the
    games themselves? *Mostly*, playing computer games is making you a
    better thinker. (And improving

    FWIW.

    - Sheldon

    On 2005-06-22, Sheldon England <sheldonengland@netscape.net> wrote:

    > The current issue of Discover magazine has an interesting article called
    > Your Brain on Computer Games. The author started with the usual notions
    > that computer games are harmful, addictive, and allow brains to turn to
    > mush ... until he actually tried playing one.

    Link:

    http://www.discover.com/issues/jul-05/features/brain-on-video-games/
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Sheldon England" <sheldonengland@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > shadows wrote:
    >
    > In fact, the only down side to computer games the author could find is
    > the health effect ... if you are always sitting at the computer or
    > console controls you are not getting any physical exercise. But the
    > games themselves? *Mostly*, playing computer games is making you a
    > better thinker. (And improving

    I'd recommend children get off their ever-increasing lard butts and go
    outside, interact, argue, compromise, and play with their peers, if they
    want to improve their brains. At least if they plan to live on Earth as
    healthy adults. I don't know how it is in the pod world, where everyone is
    floating in oatmeal, their brains connected to artificially generated
    stimuli simulating real stimuli, their hearts so weak they can't even run up
    a flight of steps in the prime of their lives.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 22-6-2005 17:31, hammerstein wrote:
    > On 22 Jun 2005 09:48:45 -0400, Scott Streeter <ss@ccc4.wpi.edu> wrote:
    >

    >>What parents leave a 4 month old baby alone in the house anyways!!
    >>They deserve to go to jail.
    >

    > I didn't know you had to leave the house to play WoW.
    >
    > Or are you trying to imply that simply not looking at your baby 100%
    > of the time is negligent?
    >
    > ?

    As the article says - they went out to play at an internet cafe and
    returned five hours later.

    Not looking at your 4-month old 100% of the time is not negligent.

    Not paying attention or minding a 4-month old 100% of the time - in my
    opinion - is negligent.

    Leaving your 4-month old home-alone for five hours is - again in my
    opinion - true crime!

    A 4-month old baby isn't capable taking care of itself. It cannot help
    itself when it is in trouble. It is 200% depending on it's parents!

    These people should be punished or at least neutered and sterilized!

    --
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to have fun!
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Chris de Bruin" <news@cdb.demon.nl-nospam> wrote in message
    > On 22-6-2005 17:31, hammerstein wrote:
    >
    > Leaving your 4-month old home-alone for five hours is - again in my
    > opinion - true crime!

    Yes, it's too easy to make a baby, doesn't even require a skill-testing
    question. But at least they've removed the risk of passing on their idiocy
    genes to a new generation. Probably only temporarily, although maybe
    there's hope that a judge will find them too irresponsible to conceive
    again.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 11:58:02 -0500, "Anthony" <aevansjr3@cox.net>
    wrote:

    >Notice how in america that dont happen...

    Worse things do... had a bad day at work, boss and others p**s you
    off ?...wanna buy a Uzi and ammo cheap ?....no problem...

    Not to condone what happened at all... the parents should be jailed.
    --

    John Lewis

    "Technology early-birds always turn out to be flying guinea-pigs"
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    hammerstein wrote:
    > I didn't know you had to
    > leave the house to play
    > WoW.

    You have to understand that there are significant cultural differences
    in South Korea. Due to an increased emphasis on family/Confucian
    values present throughout East Asian cultures along with current
    economic situations it is not uncommon for married adults to live with
    their parents. This is one reason why internet cafes are so popular in
    South Korea: it's a retreat from the home environment. Internet cafes
    are ridiculously cheap there. You can waste eight hours there for
    about ten bucks. They're very much a place to gather for social
    get-togethers and a common place to spend one's free time much like a
    bar is for some people in the United States. My point being is that it
    shouldn't be a surprise that people leave their homes in South Korea to
    play World of Warcraft or what have you.

    Nonetheless, it is gravely negligent for the couple to have left their
    infant unattended for that long regardless of whatever culture they
    come from.

    --
    Best Regards, mattchu
    np:

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 20:10:13 -0400, Grackle wrote:

    > Yes, it's too easy to make a baby, doesn't even require a skill-testing
    > question.

    I recommend the speculative novel "The Truth Machine". It covers this
    topic, among some other things.

    M.
    --
    ClamWin, an open source antivirus software for Windows:
    http://www.clamwin.com/

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 11:58:02 -0500, Anthony wrote:

    > Notice how in america that dont happen... Remember the kid that got shot to
    > death playing CS casue the other guy didnt like to loose? That was in
    > thaliand wasnt it?

    That is because in the US people get shot all the time, so it is not really
    newsworthy anymore. In Asia, Oceania and Europe, the homocide rates are
    much lower, so incidents of this nature are more like to make it into the
    news.

    M.
    --
    ClamWin, an open source antivirus software for Windows:
    http://www.clamwin.com/
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-06-23, Grackle <nobody@lalaland.ca> wrote:
    > "Sheldon England" <sheldonengland@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> In fact, the only down side to computer games the author could find is
    >> the health effect ... if you are always sitting at the computer or
    >> console controls you are not getting any physical exercise. But the
    >> games themselves? *Mostly*, playing computer games is making you a
    >> better thinker. (And improving
    >>

    > I'd recommend children get off their ever-increasing lard butts and go
    > outside, interact, argue, compromise, and play with their peers, if they
    > want to improve their brains. At least if they plan to live on Earth as
    > healthy adults. I don't know how it is in the pod world, where everyone is
    > floating in oatmeal, their brains connected to artificially generated
    > stimuli simulating real stimuli, their hearts so weak they can't even run up
    > a flight of steps in the prime of their lives.

    My blood pressure, and other vital stats according to a nurse I
    saw recently, is textbook. I never exercise, and my interaction
    with *real* humans occurs about eight hours a day at work.

    It doesn't take much to be healthy. Just eat a balanced diet and
    walk a few blocks to work when you can.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thusly Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com> Spake Unto All:

    >newsworthy anymore. In Asia, Oceania and Europe, the homocide rates are
    >much lower, so incidents of this nature are more like to make it into the
    >news.

    There's also news-fashion, and fashion among defence lawyers regarding
    what they can blame their clients crimes on. For instance, during the
    80s there was a period when media and defence attoerneys blamed pretty
    much all violent crime here in Europe on violent movies.

    "We also found that for university students, total time spent in the recent past
    on video games has a potential detrimental effect on grades."
    -- Anderson & Dill makes a Discovery, in 'Video Games and Aggressive Thoughts,
    Feelings, and Behavior in the Laboratory and in Life'. 2004.
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Mean_Chlorine" <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "We also found that for university students, total time spent in the
    > recent past
    > on video games has a potential detrimental effect on grades."

    Hey, I'll agree with that. In university, I skipped lots of classes to play
    computer games, otherwise I would have graduated with much higher grades.
    But school has always bored the hell out of me.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:02:13 +0200, Chris de Bruin
    <news@cdb.demon.nl-nospam> wrote:

    >As the article says - they went out to play at an internet cafe and
    >returned five hours later.

    The firewall restrictions at work prevented me from reading the
    article. I mistakenly assumed that they were playing the game in their
    own home.

    Disappearing from the house for 5 hours does indeed make it criminal.
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/22/news_6128036.html

    and another incident in asia geez. I am glad we just kill each other for the
    hell of it here

    "Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> wrote in message
    > "Mean_Chlorine" <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "We also found that for university students, total time spent in the
    >> recent past
    >> on video games has a potential detrimental effect on grades."
    >

    > Hey, I'll agree with that. In university, I skipped lots of classes to
    > play computer games, otherwise I would have graduated with much higher
    > grades. But school has always bored the hell out of me.

  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> writes:

    > I'd recommend children get off their ever-increasing lard butts and go
    > outside,

    [ ... ]

    I'm sure you're aware of the irony of posting such advice to Usenet,
    aren't you?

    Nick

    --
    # sigmask (lambda deprecation version) 20041028 || feed this to a python
    print ''.join([chr(ord(x)-1) for x in 'Ojdl!Wbshjti!=ojdlAwbshjti/psh?'])

    "Anthony" <aevansjr3@cox.net> wrote in message
    > http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/22/news_6128036.html
    >
    > and another incident in asia geez. I am glad we just kill each other for the
    > hell of it here

    Not shooting the messanger here, but...

    Outside of a schoolmate saying he was a "fan" of GTAIII, I don't
    see anything else in there that relates what he did to that
    video game, or any game for that matter.

    Sounds to me like the kid was just nuts.

    - Dave
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thusly "Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> Spake Unto All:

    >> "We also found that for university students, total time spent in the
    >> recent past
    >> on video games has a potential detrimental effect on grades."
    >
    >Hey, I'll agree with that.

    Hell yes. God only knows where I'd be, and how I'd have scored,
    without computer games.

    I use it as sig because it's self-evident, in a "...we also found that
    being shot in the foot has a detrimental effect on the performance of
    marathon runners" type of way.

    "We also found that for university students, total time spent in the recent past
    on video games has a potential detrimental effect on grades."
    -- Anderson & Dill makes a Discovery, in 'Video Games and Aggressive Thoughts,
    Feelings, and Behavior in the Laboratory and in Life'. 2004.
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Nick Vargish" <nav+posts@bandersnatch.org> wrote in message
    > "Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> writes:
    >
    >> I'd recommend children get off their ever-increasing lard butts and go
    >> outside,
    >
    > [ ... ]
    >
    > I'm sure you're aware of the irony of posting such advice to Usenet,
    > aren't you?

    Where else am I going to find a large group of lard-butts in one location?
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > being shot in the foot has a detrimental effect on the performance of
    > marathon runners

    Do you have any evidence to back up that statement? Scientific studies
    perhaps?
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "hammerstein" <ask@me.com> wrote in message
    > On 22 Jun 2005 09:48:45 -0400, Scott Streeter <ss@ccc4.wpi.edu> wrote:
    >
    >>What parents leave a 4 month old baby alone in the house anyways!!
    >>They deserve to go to jail.
    >
    > I didn't know you had to leave the house to play WoW.

    In Korea, most of the Koreans play MMORPGS in PC Bangs (cyber cafes), not in
    their own homes.
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thusly "Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> Spake Unto All:

    >> being shot in the foot has a detrimental effect on the performance of
    >> marathon runners
    >
    >Do you have any evidence to back up that statement? Scientific studies
    >perhaps?

    Are you volunteering?

    "We also found that for university students, total time spent in the recent past
    on video games has a potential detrimental effect on grades."
    -- Anderson & Dill makes a Discovery, in 'Video Games and Aggressive Thoughts,
    Feelings, and Behavior in the Laboratory and in Life'. 2004.
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > Thusly "Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> Spake Unto All:
    >
    >>> being shot in the foot has a detrimental effect on the performance of
    >>> marathon runners
    >>
    >>Do you have any evidence to back up that statement? Scientific studies
    >>perhaps?
    >
    > Are you volunteering?

    Depends on how much you pay your test subjects.
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Nick Vargish <nav+posts@bandersnatch.org> looked up from reading the
    say:

    >"Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> writes:
    >
    >> I'd recommend children get off their ever-increasing lard butts and go
    >> outside,
    >
    > [ ... ]
    >
    >I'm sure you're aware of the irony of posting such advice to Usenet,
    >aren't you?

    Hey, laptop+802.11 and that post could have been made from out in the
    big blue room.

    The kiddies are the some ones who carry GBAs everywhere aren't they?

    Xocyll
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article <7gplb1htta5q2vok8am4r6kj35ck3upiki@4ax.com>,
    Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >Thusly "Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> Spake Unto All:
    >
    >>> "We also found that for university students, total time spent in the
    >>> recent past
    >>> on video games has a potential detrimental effect on grades."
    >>
    >>Hey, I'll agree with that.
    >
    >Hell yes. God only knows where I'd be, and how I'd have scored,
    >without computer games.
    <snip>

    In the olden days, before computers were cheap toys, those
    kids discovered the ultimate game, the monitor (our name
    for the core-resident piece of our operating system.
    Most of these kids never graduated, let alone get grades :-).

    /BAH

    Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thusly "Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> Spake Unto All:

    >>>Do you have any evidence to back up that statement? Scientific studies
    >>>perhaps?
    >>
    >> Are you volunteering?
    >
    >Depends on how much you pay your test subjects.

    All the scientific honor & fame you can eat!

    "We also found that for university students, total time spent in the recent past
    on video games has a potential detrimental effect on grades."
    -- Anderson & Dill makes a Discovery, in 'Video Games and Aggressive Thoughts,
    Feelings, and Behavior in the Laboratory and in Life'. 2004.
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    <http://www.avault.com/news/displaynews.asp?story=132001-15200>

    --
    --Tim Smith
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    It is always somebody else's fault but the lawyers in the EQ related case
    both stated

    "EverQuest was merely the preoccupation of the moment for Bragg, Littman
    added, saying it could have just have easily been televised football or any
    other occupation of men in their twenties, instead. "Bragg is sadly typical
    of many young people today," said Littman. "He had children before he was
    ready to take care of them."

    It is about time that we recognise that a "loser is a loser" be him American
    or Thai or Purple or white!

    Cheers, Reddog
  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Reddogfive" <reddogfivenospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > It is about time that we recognise that a "loser is a loser" be him
    > American or Thai or Purple or white!
    >
    > Cheers, Reddog

    Purple? If you're purple, you need to consult a doctor right away, because
    being a loser may be the least of your worries.
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> looked up from reading the entrails of

    >"Reddogfive" <reddogfivenospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> It is about time that we recognise that a "loser is a loser" be him
    >> American or Thai or Purple or white!
    >>
    >> Cheers, Reddog
    >>

    >Purple? If you're purple, you need to consult a doctor right away, because
    >being a loser may be the least of your worries.

    Depends on location and time of years.

    University engineering frosh round here always seem to be dying
    themselves purple the first few weeks of the school year.

    [Themselves, other students, innocent bystanders...]

    Xocyll

PC gaming World Of Warcraft Games IBM RPG Video Games