AIW 9700 PRO vs Radeon 9700 PRO

BastardTom

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003
I was wondering how the owners of the All In Wonder 9700 Pro felt about their new card. Apparently there isn't supposed to be any gap between the performance of the 9700 Pro AIW and Radeon. Can anyone confirm this? Just looking for some info before I make my decision.

To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't own one, but I do have a little info...the AIW version is supposed to be the same clock speed, so 3D Gaming functions should have the same performance.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

BastardTom

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003
So we have been told... but is it really true? I hear that there are some major issues with the drivers for the AIW and that the 9700 PRO is better because of its better drivers. Can anyone verify or rebut this?

<i>To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human.</i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
the two or three people who have reported owning the AIW 9700 Pro in here are also reporting 9700 Pro performance levels.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

bob_dn

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Check out <A HREF="http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/videocards/article.php/1561051" target="_new">this review</A>.
It should answer all your questions.

knownalien

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2003
i have the aiw 9700 pro windows 98 2nd edition. i can't get any of the capture functions or cable function to work. i called ati and they said that it is because of win98. since i am shortly upgrading to win xp, they said there wouldn't be any problems. but i have yet to see.

BastardTom

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003
bob_dn, thanks for that link, it was very helpful.

For those of you who don't want to follow the link or followed it to a "page not found", the article puts the AIW against it's sibling, the Radeon, and other cards, mainly Geforces. Long story short, the Radeon and the AIW take the lead at equal force, hardly ever having any differences between them over a couple frames, which clearifies that the AIW IS infact a beefed up Radeon with no flaws apparent through its mutation.

Things have been made clear for me now and I look forward to getting myself an AIW soon, unless they make another announcement regarding a newer breed.

<i>To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human.</i>

chelivesnow

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2003
I bought an aiw 9700 pro about a month ago, nothing but headached. First of all, I'm not a computer pro, but I do know my way around a little. This card runs hot. And somehow it shorted out my agp slot. Either I got a bunk card or say hello water cooling. I RMA'd the original and the new one will not be recognized by my motherboard. Something went wrong, any solutions let me know. The original card shorted out a agp connector pin. I did order a new board, the epox rda+. This story goes on and on. When this card worked it was awesome, but any time it did anything real, like ut2k3 it would run for a minute or tow and reboot my whole pc

Sounds like a Powersupply and Mobo problem. Post specs otherwise we're running blind, or perhaps your Apple G4 wasn't made for it and you couldn't wait for the apple specific one. :tongue:

May seem like an obvious question, but did you plug in the power connector to the board? AGP only can't handle that kind juice unless it's a pro.

Post specs, then maybe people can troubleshoot.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK