Question on Vision with no vision plan

Last response: in Network Providers
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 5:30:58 PM

I recently got a vision phone with no vision plan and played with it a
little last month. And connected it to my laptop and tried that out too.
It loaded pages amazingly fast on the laptop computer. I have the new
Sanyo phone and the Snapsync connection kit.

But I got my bill for last month and they charged me $ 23. for accessing
vision. I know they charge $ .01 per kb of information. But there is no
way to keep track of your use on the website or the phone and the bill just
shows the charge, it doesn't even show how much I used.

$ 23 seems like a huge charge for only accessing vision a couple times.

I only need it for when I travel to check weather reports, email, etc every
few months, so it is not worth paying $ 15 for it each month and that does
not even include laptop access. $ 15 x 12 months = $ 180 per year, not
counting laptop access.

Does anyone know a way I could track my usage on Vision so that I could know
how much it will cost me ahead of time?

Also, if not using a laptop with Vision, how much does each page on the
Vision phone use up in KB of information. Worded another way is how many
pages of information is 1 KB of information when I use it on the phone with
out the laptop computer.

thanks you for your help.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 5:43:32 PM

In article <mU8ic.27327$Aq.61@nwrddc03.gnilink.net>,
"Barefoot" <barefeetarecool@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I recently got a vision phone with no vision plan and played with it a
> little last month. And connected it to my laptop and tried that out too.
> It loaded pages amazingly fast on the laptop computer. I have the new
> Sanyo phone and the Snapsync connection kit.
>
> But I got my bill for last month and they charged me $ 23. for accessing
> vision. I know they charge $ .01 per kb of information. But there is no
> way to keep track of your use on the website or the phone and the bill just
> shows the charge, it doesn't even show how much I used.
>
> $ 23 seems like a huge charge for only accessing vision a couple times.
>
> I only need it for when I travel to check weather reports, email, etc every
> few months, so it is not worth paying $ 15 for it each month and that does
> not even include laptop access. $ 15 x 12 months = $ 180 per year, not
> counting laptop access.

It's also 39 cents a minute for data usage connecting as modem when you
don't have a Vision plan.

> Does anyone know a way I could track my usage on Vision so that I could know
> how much it will cost me ahead of time?

Sprint does not report that on the web like they do your minutes, so
basically the answer is no.

> Also, if not using a laptop with Vision, how much does each page on the
> Vision phone use up in KB of information. Worded another way is how many
> pages of information is 1 KB of information when I use it on the phone with
> out the laptop computer.

No telling depends on if its all text or text and pictures, could be one
(1) or a hundred (100)

> thanks you for your help.

Sounds like you may be best served by getting Vision.

From: O/Siris (osiris@spirntpcs.com)
Subject: Re: Dial-Up Modem thru SprintPCS Samsung A460
Newsgroups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs
Date: 2004-04-02 14:59:59 PST

Actually, if you try to connect to your ISP, you're paying $0.39/min
no matter what you do. Wireless Web service only covers you if you
use SPCS as your ISP. In that case, the phone dials a different ##
number than the ##777 that's used for Vision phones.

The "why" of it is a bit complicated, but, basically, it boils down
to, "if you don't use our web access servers, you pay 39 cents per
minute".

As long as you're using SPCS for Internet access, then the Wireless
Web service *does* cover "phone-as-modem" usage.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 5:55:08 PM

"Barefoot" <barefeetarecool@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I recently got a vision phone with no vision plan and played with it a
> little last month. And connected it to my laptop and tried that out too.
> It loaded pages amazingly fast on the laptop computer. I have the new
> Sanyo phone and the Snapsync connection kit.
>
> But I got my bill for last month and they charged me $ 23. for accessing
> vision. I know they charge $ .01 per kb of information. But there is no
> way to keep track of your use on the website or the phone and the bill
just
> shows the charge, it doesn't even show how much I used.
>
> $ 23 seems like a huge charge for only accessing vision a couple times.

Well, those couple of times, as you say, equate to 2.3 megs in downloads and
uploads.

> I only need it for when I travel to check weather reports, email, etc
every
> few months, so it is not worth paying $ 15 for it each month and that does
> not even include laptop access. $ 15 x 12 months = $ 180 per year, not
> counting laptop access.

Sounds like adding the Vision option would be cost effective then.

> Does anyone know a way I could track my usage on Vision so that I could
know
> how much it will cost me ahead of time?

Type in ##786, then the OK button, then save. It should bring up data on
voice calls, data usage, PRL etc.

> Also, if not using a laptop with Vision, how much does each page on the
> Vision phone use up in KB of information. Worded another way is how many
> pages of information is 1 KB of information when I use it on the phone
with
> out the laptop computer.

Unknown. What you might do, before surfing the web with your phone tethered
to your laptop, is to change your IE settings, under Tools - Options,
Advanced, then scroll down to multimedia, and unenable everything in that
section. You might have to go back and enable one or two of the settings if
you are experiencing problems, but by unenabling most, if not all those
settings, it will reduce the amount downloaded through your phone.

> thanks you for your help.

Bob
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 6:06:23 PM

<I only need it for when I travel to check weather reports, email, etc every
few months, so it is not worth paying $ 15 for it each month and that does
not even include laptop access. $ 15 x 12 months = $ 180 per year, not
counting laptop access.>
I only use Vision when I travel too. When you use your laptop it is well
worth it to activate Vision. You will get 2 free months so the next time
you plan on using your laptop ask for those 2 free months of Vision. You
should be able to cancel Vision when you are not using it without affecting
your contract but I don't know if they will pro-rate that service on your
bill or charge you the $15 for the month you used it in. Since I don't
have a contract what I do is just put Sprint on the vacation plan - and only
activate it when I travel. I don't know if finding out how much data you
use is available online or by calling them now but on the Sany 4900 I
believe you can do ##786 to get the data used. My Cincinnati Bell Wireless
provider has a chart on data and how much is used for certain things when
you use them to access the internet via their phone. I don't know if this
chart will help but here is a link to it.
http://www.cincinnatibell.com/residential/wireless/inte...
As you can see Vision is quite a deal if you compare it to the CBW data
rates! But if you aren't going to use Vision every month I agree $180 is a
lot of money per year. DonnaB
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 24, 2004 3:22:21 PM

The Babynous Cult <babynous@seanet.com> wrote in message news:<408973F6.643E779F@seanet.com>...
> Bob Smith wrote:
> >
> > "Barefoot" <barefeetarecool@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> ...Blah blah blah...
>
> > > Does anyone know a way I could track my usage on Vision so that I could
> know
> > > how much it will cost me ahead of time?
> >
> > Type in ##786, then the OK button, then save. It should bring up data on
> > voice calls, data usage, PRL etc.
>
> Is there a listing of all these 'Easter Eggs' somewhere...???
> How many are there...???
>
> sproogles...

Try checking out www.sprintpcsinfo.com They have tons of info lots of phones.

--Andrew Kraut
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 25, 2004 4:46:00 AM

"Andrew Kraut" <akraut@sprintpcs.com> wrote in message
> The Babynous Cult <babynous@seanet.com> wrote in message
> > Bob Smith wrote:
> > >
> > > "Barefoot" <barefeetarecool@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > ...Blah blah blah...

> > know
> > >
> > > Type in ##786, then the OK button, then save. It should bring up data
on
> > > voice calls, data usage, PRL etc.
> >
> > Is there a listing of all these 'Easter Eggs' somewhere...???
> > How many are there...???
> >
> > sproogles...
> >

> Try checking out www.sprintpcsinfo.com They have tons of info lots of
phones.

I personally don't like to pass on detailed information to get into the
inner workings of the phones to the cellular newbies, at their level. It
can't possibly do anything for them, except for them to change a setting,
screw things up and go running off to the SPCS store to get their phone
fixed.

Bob
April 25, 2004 5:11:33 AM

The Babynous Cult wrote:

> Is there a listing of all these 'Easter Eggs' somewhere...???
> How many are there...???

##RUN
##VOCODER
##TTY
##DATA

There are more...
Don't break your phone.

> sproogles...

Gives me the jibblies, I tell you.
-mike
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 25, 2004 10:30:43 AM

In article <rmarkoff-44A81E.08432623042004
@news04.east.earthlink.net>, rmarkoff@msn.com says...
> It's also 39 cents a minute for data usage connecting as modem when you
> don't have a Vision plan.

Not when connecting to the Vision network, effectively using SPCS as
your ISP. Only for actual dialing, as in dialing to AOL, or
Earthlink.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <bCeic.6564$eZ5.4664@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net says...
> so
> > anyways... maybe ONE WAY of cutting costs for NO VISION
> > access is to TURN OFF the Pictures... through...uh... one of
> > those dang menus... i've seen it somewhere...????
>
> I haven't see any settings on my 5300, to cut out graphics from showing up.
>
> Bob

Actually, from a web page, when the icon in the lower right looks
sort of like a paper sticking up out of a slot, you press that soft-
key. Then "More Options." And then "Preferences."

You'll find an option there, something like "Show Images." Ta-da.

That only works on Sanyo Vision phones.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <3debdc23dbab4ab05311a9de945e574d@news.teranews.com>,
O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote:

> In article <rmarkoff-44A81E.08432623042004
> @news04.east.earthlink.net>, rmarkoff@msn.com says...
> > It's also 39 cents a minute for data usage connecting as modem when you
> > don't have a Vision plan.
> >

> Not when connecting to the Vision network, effectively using SPCS as
> your ISP. Only for actual dialing, as in dialing to AOL, or
> Earthlink.

No charge for doing it without a Vision plan? You previously posted its
only true for Wireless web usage.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 25, 2004 4:30:38 PM

"O/Siris" <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote in message
In article <bCeic.6564$eZ5.4664@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net says...
> so
> > anyways... maybe ONE WAY of cutting costs for NO VISION
> > access is to TURN OFF the Pictures... through...uh... one of
> > those dang menus... i've seen it somewhere...????
>
> I haven't see any settings on my 5300, to cut out graphics from showing
up.

> Bob

Actually, from a web page, when the icon in the lower right looks
sort of like a paper sticking up out of a slot, you press that soft-
key. Then "More Options." And then "Preferences."

You'll find an option there, something like "Show Images." Ta-da.

That only works on Sanyo Vision phones.

Thanks Rob ... Found it.

Bob ::Hoping the OP of this thread sees your post as well::
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 26, 2004 12:04:24 PM

In article <rmarkoff-843A55.05562225042004
@news03.east.earthlink.net>, rmarkoff@msn.com says...

> No charge for doing it without a Vision plan? You previously posted its
> only true for Wireless web usage.

You're so tiresome, Phill, with your inability to carry out basic
reading comprehension.

OK, since the question is about a Vision phone, there are two basic
scenarios:

+ Conncting to Vision directly, using the Vision network, and your
phone as a kind of modem.

+ Dialing into Earthlink, or AOL.

The first of those examples, some might think of it as the "#777"
option, the system treats that as Vision usage. So it's a penny per
KB without a Vision pack. Or it applies as part of your unlimited
usage up until the system determines that you are abusing Vision by
doing this.

The latter example is 39 cents/minute.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <7371cc9ba6e2e9c77ed32c4b8ae7e230@news.teranews.com>,
O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote:

> In article <rmarkoff-843A55.05562225042004
> @news03.east.earthlink.net>, rmarkoff@msn.com says...
> >
> > No charge for doing it without a Vision plan? You previously posted its
> > only true for Wireless web usage.
> >

> You're so tiresome, Phill, with your inability to carry out basic
> reading comprehension.
>
> OK, since the question is about a Vision phone, there are two basic
> scenarios:
>
> + Conncting to Vision directly, using the Vision network, and your
> phone as a kind of modem.
>
> + Dialing into Earthlink, or AOL.
>
> The first of those examples, some might think of it as the "#777"
> option, the system treats that as Vision usage. So it's a penny per
> KB without a Vision pack. Or it applies as part of your unlimited
> usage up until the system determines that you are abusing Vision by
> doing this.
>
> The latter example is 39 cents/minute.

And you didn't answer the question. You only talked about Vision.

What about the difference between Vision 3G phones, Wireless Web (2G0
phones). Makes for 2 more scenarios.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2004 8:32:27 PM

In article <rmarkoff-7A96B0.07054526042004
@news05.east.earthlink.net>, rmarkoff@msn.com says...

> And you didn't answer the question. You only talked about Vision.
>
> What about the difference between Vision 3G phones, Wireless Web (2G0
> phones). Makes for 2 more scenarios.

More lack of reading comprehension. The original question was about
a Vision phone, so I stuck to the topic.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <27e56cb61c387ce55a4d8f916032e2d0@news.teranews.com>,
O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote:

> In article <rmarkoff-7A96B0.07054526042004
> @news05.east.earthlink.net>, rmarkoff@msn.com says...
> >
> > And you didn't answer the question. You only talked about Vision.
> >
> > What about the difference between Vision 3G phones, Wireless Web (2G0
> > phones). Makes for 2 more scenarios.
> >

> More lack of reading comprehension. The original question was about
> a Vision phone, so I stuck to the topic.

And ignored my question. Typical of your childishness.
!