Traveling to South Africa

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
April 23, 2004 4:43:30 PM

Anyone have any experience with getting phone service in South Africa. Will
be there about three weeks and would like to have a cell phone. Is sprint
there??

BC

More about : traveling south africa

Anonymous
April 23, 2004 9:05:01 PM

"BC" <fmvault@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Anyone have any experience with getting phone service in South Africa.
Will
> be there about three weeks and would like to have a cell phone. Is sprint
> there??
>
> BC

Nope. In fact, when looking at cdg.org 's CDMA map, there are no CDMA
carriers in South Africa - http://cdg.org/worldwide/index.asp

Bob
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 9:16:59 PM

In article <6rSdndy8n6Io2hTdRVn-sw@comcast.com>,
"BC" <fmvault@comcast.net> wrote:

> Anyone have any experience with getting phone service in South Africa. Will
> be there about three weeks and would like to have a cell phone. Is sprint
> there??
>
> BC

Ask your Travel Agent for assistance.
Related resources
April 23, 2004 9:17:00 PM

Thanks - good advice.

Bill

"Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message
> In article <6rSdndy8n6Io2hTdRVn-sw@comcast.com>,
> "BC" <fmvault@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > Anyone have any experience with getting phone service in South Africa.
Will
> > be there about three weeks and would like to have a cell phone. Is
sprint
> > there??
> >
> > BC
>
> Ask your Travel Agent for assistance.
April 23, 2004 9:39:34 PM

BC wrote:
> Anyone have any experience with getting phone service in South Africa. Will
> be there about three weeks and would like to have a cell phone. Is sprint
> there??
>
> BC

Sprint does have a program for Sprint PCS users traveling to countries
that have only GSM service. The service isn't cheap and involves a
getting a GSM phone either by purchase or rental. To get a GSM phone or
GSM SIM card, contact the dedicated International Roaming Team at
1-888-226-7212.

Cheapest is to buy a used GSM phone from ebay - preferably a "world
phone" with support for GSM 900/1800mhz bands. The T68i is available
somewhat cheaply. 61xx/51xx phones are really cheap.
Make sure the phone is unlocked.
When you arrive in the country, buy a prepaid GSM SIM card for use
during your stay.
-mike
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 10:46:54 PM

In article <qxcic.6396$eZ5.1995@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Mike <spamtrap@zbuffer.com> wrote:

> BC wrote:
> > Anyone have any experience with getting phone service in South Africa. Will
> > be there about three weeks and would like to have a cell phone. Is sprint
> > there??
> >
> > BC
>
> Sprint does have a program for Sprint PCS users traveling to countries
> that have only GSM service. The service isn't cheap

It's far and away the most expensive way to do it.

> and involves a
> getting a GSM phone either by purchase or rental. To get a GSM phone or
> GSM SIM card, contact the dedicated International Roaming Team at
> 1-888-226-7212.
>
> Cheapest is to buy a used GSM phone from ebay - preferably a "world
> phone" with support for GSM 900/1800mhz bands. The T68i is available
> somewhat cheaply. 61xx/51xx phones are really cheap.
> Make sure the phone is unlocked.
> When you arrive in the country, buy a prepaid GSM SIM card for use
> during your stay.
> -mike

Or depending how much you'll be traveling, a prepaid phone card to use
at pay phones can be very cheap also.

Again the best thing to do is check with your Travel Agent.
April 24, 2004 12:18:29 AM

"Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message news:<rmarkoff-43DD4A.13464923042004@news04.east.earthlink.net>...

> Or depending how much you'll be traveling, a prepaid phone card to use
> at pay phones can be very cheap also.
>
> Again the best thing to do is check with your Travel Agent.

For once I'll agree with you, getting a pre-paid may be the OP's best
option if a company isn't supporting them and it's for a short period
of time.
October 7, 2012 9:33:20 AM

If you purchase an International Roaming SIM when you travel, instead of taking your mobile with you whilst you travel through South Africa, then you should save at least 70% or more. I am sure that you would rather keep your money in your pocket., I'm using holidayphone during my foreign tour. They providing cheap and best services. prepaid sim cards prepaid sim cards
!