Sign in with
Your question

Missing desktop files, win7

Last response: in Windows 7
June 8, 2012 6:21:32 PM

Hello,
My son has lost important business documents kept in a folder on the desktop of his Win 7 computer. He has also lost his entire itunes library and pictures from 'My Pictures' folder. This seems rather arbitrary so could it be a virus issue?
Many thanks
a b $ Windows 7
June 8, 2012 6:27:45 PM

Hard to tell with out some more details if its a virus issue or if you son accidently deleted/moved the files =). For safe measures you can run a free antivirus scan if you want. AVG or AVast both have free versions.

Do you know if the computer is backed up regularly? I assume not, but if so you in theory should be able to get your files back from a past backup.

Try this for shoots and ladders, click on the libraries folder icon. Now look at the top right hand side. You'll see a search box that says Search Libraries. Type in something he remembers from the lost files. Like the name of one of the documents or a name of a group of pictures. If it finds anything matching the description it will pop up. If you do happen to find one of the lost files from this method right click on and select open file location.

Also, do you happen to know the exact time and day the files were misplaced?
a b $ Windows 7
June 8, 2012 6:40:55 PM

did u loose all your stuff in the start menu also?
Related resources
June 8, 2012 7:06:21 PM

skaz said:
Hard to tell with out some more details if its a virus issue or if you son accidently deleted/moved the files =). For safe measures you can run a free antivirus scan if you want. AVG or AVast both have free versions.

Do you know if the computer is backed up regularly? I assume not, but if so you in theory should be able to get your files back from a past backup.

Try this for shoots and ladders, click on the libraries folder icon. Now look at the top right hand side. You'll see a search box that says Search Libraries. Type in something he remembers from the lost files. Like the name of one of the documents or a name of a group of pictures. If it finds anything matching the description it will pop up. If you do happen to find one of the lost files from this method right click on and select open file location.

thanks, i will check and get back to you as he is not around at the moment. I know he uses Microsoft Essentials for anti virus and nothing has cropped up
a b $ Windows 7
June 8, 2012 7:14:35 PM

download dr webs antivirus

you just run it, no install

its very good

http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/?lng=en

its helped me fix a few relatives computers where the installed antivirus either didnt work or was blocked

in future make sure to backup all important data off computer

a 1tb external usb drive is cheap and an easy solution

you can put in truecrypt containers if you are worried about security
June 8, 2012 7:32:23 PM

skaz said:

Thanks for the anti-virus suggestion, not entirely sure how effective microsft essentials is so will look at alternatives. I will get my son to join the thread so he can fill in some blanks,cheers one and all
July 17, 2012 4:40:22 PM

HAD THIS SAME PROBLEM...

SEVERAL FOLDERS "SUDDENLY NOT THERE ON DESKTOP"... "I didn't do it!"

my solution:

1. first I have a program called "Everything" that does drive searches BY "FILE NAME" ONLY...(got it on cnet free... great program... so for stuff I want to find quickly... I make sure I include "name I will remember when searching for files and folders" ...this is a very quick search of "filenames only" ...you have to use other search methods for "file content included search..." I use many different systems...but use this for "real important stuff" that I "filename carefully" so I can use this superfast index search method...etc.

2. Anyway, the "one of the missing folders" turned up in using this "filename searched" ...and it SHOWED IT WAS ON THE DESKTOP...I checked the desktop again...and the "the missing folder" WAS STILL NOT THERE...

...anyway I clicked on the file folder name in the "search results" (using the Everything searcher) and up pops the "audio file" I was looking for... tried it...and it played...MEANING: all those missing folders and files are STILL THERE...just invisible to WIN7 desktop...however all that works, etc.

So, I also checked Microsoft online help...THEY SAID "a folder issue" involving "hidden file attributes"...did what they said ...NO HELP ...STILL DIDN'T WORK...missing stuff still not on desktop...

HOWEVER...here's what fixed it...

a. I knew the missing folders/files were still there...cause I tried the audio one and it worked...SO WHAT I DID

b. I opened "my computer"...clicked on the C drive...clicked on "users" ...CLICKED ON PROPERTIES for the "users" folder ...AND UNCLICKED "HIDDEN!"

also did this on "subfolders:" both: "owner and public"

...AND WHEN I WENT BACK TO THE DESKTOP...ALL THE "MISSING FOLDERS"...WERE BACK! (you might have the right-click and refresh the desktop...didn't notice whether I did that or not...

bottom line: EVERYTHING IS BACK TO THE WAY IT WAS...

flashrob

PS. now I don't know whether there is some kind of virus or something like that that caused the issue...but if there is...it's just MOSTLY A NUISANCE...but I was in panic-city for a while...EVEN STARTING TO DO A "FULL IMAGE BACKUP" which I really didn't want to have to do...works but you have to "additionally backup" all your recent changes since you created the "image backup"...and that's a damn nuisance...

anyway: suggest you get the "free Everything" file/folder name search program free from CNET...so you can find missing files/folders quickly...you can just click on them...withing the "search result"...that alone is a handy feature for GETTIN' STUFF QUICKLY, etc...

hope this helps ...flashrob (my website: dimestop.com ...lots of cool stuff there if your interested...)
a b $ Windows 7
July 17, 2012 5:48:13 PM

cnet downloads (download manager) installs adware i would not use
July 18, 2012 3:45:45 PM

have done several scans no sign of any virus, have checked the hidden folder trick, cant understand when i restore to previous date that the files dont reapear even though im 100% sure that the files were ok then. whats hard to understand aswel is that the programs remain ok, itunes ms word guitar tab etc etc but all the saved files are gone inc my documents and game saves.
!