WoW - Windowed Maximized Mode

Last response: in Video Games
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 24, 2005 5:42:53 AM

Last patch added a new video mode to World of Warcraft - And as I'm typing
this I'm watching my character run to a new location in the background.
This is pretty handy, it lets you run a game and still do other things
while keeping an eye on the game. Wish more games did this. Anyway just
wanted to pass this along in case people didn't know about this feature. Go
to Video Options and do Windowed Mode, and then check "Maximized" to get
this effect.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
June 24, 2005 8:11:11 AM

Knight37 wrote:
> Last patch added a new video mode to World of Warcraft - And as I'm typing
> this I'm watching my character run to a new location in the background.
> This is pretty handy, it lets you run a game and still do other things
> while keeping an eye on the game. Wish more games did this. Anyway just
> wanted to pass this along in case people didn't know about this feature. Go
> to Video Options and do Windowed Mode, and then check "Maximized" to get
> this effect.

Better yet... select Windowed Mode and *do not* check Maximized.

Then, when you start the game, maximize the window. Now you have the
game maximized but still have the task bar & system tray always visible.

If you always want to play this way, edit the properties of the WoW
shortcut icon and select "Maximized" for the "Run:" option.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 25, 2005 3:43:48 AM

Walter <waltersibbons@hotmail.com> once tried to test me with:

> Better yet... select Windowed Mode and *do not* check Maximized.
>
> Then, when you start the game, maximize the window. Now you have the
> game maximized but still have the task bar & system tray always visible.

Yah but I don't really like having that up all the time. But to each his
own. It's nice it gives you the flexibility!

> If you always want to play this way, edit the properties of the WoW
> shortcut icon and select "Maximized" for the "Run:" option.

Good tip!

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 25, 2005 9:21:52 AM

Knight37 wrote:
> Last patch added a new video mode to World of Warcraft - And as I'm typing
> this I'm watching my character run to a new location in the background.
> This is pretty handy, it lets you run a game and still do other things
> while keeping an eye on the game. Wish more games did this. Anyway just
> wanted to pass this along in case people didn't know about this feature. Go
> to Video Options and do Windowed Mode, and then check "Maximized" to get
> this effect.

I haven't played WoW yet, but is it the sort of game where you have to
spend lots of time on tedious things like watching your character run
for 20 minutes to get somewhere, with no excitement along the way?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 25, 2005 9:21:53 AM

Troll wrote:

> I haven't played WoW yet, but is it the sort of game where you have to
> spend lots of time on tedious things like watching your character run
> for 20 minutes to get somewhere, with no excitement along the way?

Yes, it is exactly like that.

You wouldn't like it at all.

I suggest you not even try it.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 25, 2005 1:30:32 PM

Troll <newstroll@shaw.ca> writes:

> I haven't played WoW yet, but is it the sort of game where you have to
> spend lots of time on tedious things like watching your character run
> for 20 minutes to get somewhere, with no excitement along the way?

Oh, lots of excitement - the world is littered with aggressive
wandering mobs. You are thinking about the static-mob Asheron's Call.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 25, 2005 6:41:03 PM

Troll <newstroll@shaw.ca> once tried to test me with:

> I haven't played WoW yet, but is it the sort of game where you have to
> spend lots of time on tedious things like watching your character run
> for 20 minutes to get somewhere, with no excitement along the way?

Every MMORPG has "downtime" where you have to do something not totally
exciting in order to make progress in something you desire. WoW is no
exception. However, compared to such as Everquest, the downtime in WoW is
extremely light.

But travel times do exist, and as you gain levels, some quests will take
you to more and more remote places so that you may have some travel time.
Also, if you die, you have to travel from the graveyard back to where you
died to retrieve your corpse. You can do that or you can elect to ressurect
at the graveyard for a fairly hefty penalty to your items' durability.
Typically you will pick up quests in a town area, then you will travel
around the zone to the areas where the quest targets are and do them, then
have to travel back.

Probably the one thing that makes travel time annoying is WoW is the fact
that they do not have a bank in every town, and there are only 3 major
cities that have Auction Houses. And so you will find yourself travelling
to and from the major city for your faction to buy and sell items at the
Auction House a lot. At one time they mentioned creating AH's in other
cities, but so far that hasn't happened.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 26, 2005 6:04:26 PM

In article <Xns968062843216Eknight37m@130.133.1.4>, knight37m@gmail.com
says...

> Probably the one thing that makes travel time annoying is WoW is the fact
> that they do not have a bank in every town, and there are only 3 major
> cities that have Auction Houses. And so you will find yourself travelling
> to and from the major city for your faction to buy and sell items at the
> Auction House a lot. At one time they mentioned creating AH's in other
> cities, but so far that hasn't happened.

Of course you could create an alt for this purpose, and post him stuff
to sell for you.

- Gerry Quinn
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 26, 2005 7:08:13 PM

Gerry Quinn <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie> once tried to test me with:

>> cities that have Auction Houses. And so you will find yourself
>> travelling to and from the major city for your faction to buy and
>> sell items at the Auction House a lot. At one time they mentioned
>> creating AH's in other cities, but so far that hasn't happened.
>
> Of course you could create an alt for this purpose, and post him stuff
> to sell for you.

Good point! There is that option and I've used that a few times. I've also
used the mailboxes as "bank" space when I was in dire need.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
June 27, 2005 2:11:33 PM

On 2005-06-26, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:
> Gerry Quinn <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie> once tried to test me with:

>> Of course you could create an alt for this purpose, and post him stuff
>> to sell for you.
>
> Good point! There is that option and I've used that a few times. I've also
> used the mailboxes as "bank" space when I was in dire need.

Minimum 1 hour delay when sending items.
!