MellowYellow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2001
After reading the DVD burner comparison article I am left with a few questions. As I understand it, most DVD's are in the DVD-5 format (single layer, single sided), which has a capacity of 4.7 GB as mentioned in the article. But there are also DVD's out there produced using the DVD-9 format which is (double layer, single sided). Are DVD-9 format discs readable in all DVD drives? If so, does it stand to reason that we can also burn DVD-9 discs as well? Because this would effectively double the storage capacity.

Any ideas?

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
No, DVD burners do not support DVD-9. Currently, no burner can write to any double layer DVDs.

On the other hand, DVD burners support DVD-10 which is just a double-sided DVD-5.

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
There are a lot of dvds that are dvd-9 and I believe they are readable in all dvd drives. I think sooner or later they will have drives capable of burning dual layered dvd-9 media. Right now, the dvd-+r/rw are only single sided, single layer.

<i><font color=blue>There is no failure when you believe in success.</font color=blue></i>

MellowYellow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2001
Has anyone heard anything about dual layered burners coming to the market any time soon? I'm just trying to gauge whether or not this is a good time to buy a DVD burner.

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
I don't think dual layered burners will appear on the market soon considering the fact the DVD recording is still a very new technology.

If you're thinking about direct copying your DVD movies in DVD-9 format to a blank DVD-+R/RW, you'll be disappointed as no blank disc can fit the size of DVD-9. However, I know there are ways to get around this problem which you can find in discussions from other sites.

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
It seems double sided, single layer DVD-10 dvd-+r/rw media is rare and hard to find.

Kinda thinking that there probably won't be dual layered burners. I think they will go towards blue laser or something.

<i><font color=blue>There is no failure when you believe in success.</font color=blue></i>