How to install MIDI controller?

Last response: in Home Audio
January 20, 2005 1:49:39 AM

I'm trying to connect an old Kawai K1 synth to my computer to work with
Fruity Loops 3. The MIDI "out" of the keyboard is hooked into the adapter
cable which, in turn, is plugged into the game port of the computer.

However, it doesn't appear that my computer is recognizing that a controller
has been attached to it. (Shouldn't the "found new hardware" message box
come up?) When I enter Fruity Loops to select a keyboard input controller,
the only available option is "none," although I have MIDI input "enabled."

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks!

Mark
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 1:49:40 AM

Do you show any MIDI devices in your Control Panel? A MIDI interface
itself is what the computer would detect on "add new hardware", but not
the fact that something was plugged into it.

In Device Manager (I am assuming you are using Windows XP) you will
find your MIDI devices under Sound, Video and Game controllers. It is
possible that the MIDI port has not been enabled in BIOS, I have had
some PCs where this had to be done first. If Fruity Loops doesn't
give you any available MIDI port to use it does not sound as though the
PC knows it's there or has installed the driver properly. Start in
Device Manager - if there's no MIDI port there or it's not working for
some reason you'll have to fix that first.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 8:09:05 PM

midicad2001@yahoo.com wrote:

> Do you show any MIDI devices in your Control Panel?

No.

> A MIDI interface
> itself is what the computer would detect on "add new hardware", but not
> the fact that something was plugged into it.

> In Device Manager (I am assuming you are using Windows XP) you will
> find your MIDI devices under Sound, Video and Game controllers. It is
> possible that the MIDI port has not been enabled in BIOS, I have had
> some PCs where this had to be done first. If Fruity Loops doesn't
> give you any available MIDI port to use it does not sound as though the
> PC knows it's there or has installed the driver properly. Start in
> Device Manager - if there's no MIDI port there or it's not working for
> some reason you'll have to fix that first.

Maybe I should give up on the game port and pick up a USB MIDI interface?

Thanks for the reply . . .

Mark

---