Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gigabit LAN

Last response: in Networking
Share
February 22, 2013 4:09:54 PM

I put together this business Network with hardware that they had laying around the shop. Please see Link for Network Specs. http://db.tt/m2pjmaE3

I can see clearly that the 3COM Switch is slowing down PC-PC Transfers because it only supports 10/100 speeds. The Server Raid 1 is capable of Sequential Read at 130.941 MB/s and Sequential Write at 128.533 MB/s. The Client Work Stations are capable of Sequential Read at 151.792 MB/s and Sequential Write at 149.455 MB/s. Hard Drive Read/Write Tested via CrystalDiskMark 3.0.2. Current LAN speed PC-PC is Write: 90.464Mbps / Read: 86.549Mbps (Im Sure this is due to the 3COM switch) Tested via LANSpeedTest 1.2.0.0. I am urging the man with the $ to go out and buy a new Netgear JGS524 ProSafe 24-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch, so that we can have better PC-PC transfer rates. I suspect, and please correct me on this if you think im wrong... that if we change to the Netgear JGS524 we would see PC-PC transfer speeds upto R120/W120. Now i understand that if we throw in some SSD's and raid them properly on server side and client side we could manage much faster PC-PC transfer speeds. At this moment in time i am just interested in getting to the R120/W120 vs the current R86.5/W90.4.

All Cabeling is Cat6 UTP T568B btw.

Any Opinions or Advice is more than welcome.

Thanks

rockettpc

More about : gigabit lan

February 22, 2013 4:15:47 PM

Yes, your switch is slowing you down.

Upgrading the switch to a Gigabit will definitely increase your transfer speed to 120/120 (or very close to it. )

The model you are referring to should definitely do the trick :) 
February 22, 2013 4:34:35 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply!

itzdanielp said:
Yes, your switch is slowing you down.

Upgrading the switch to a Gigabit will definitely increase your transfer speed to 120/120 (or very close to it. )

The model you are referring to should definitely do the trick :) 

Related resources
February 22, 2013 4:35:48 PM

No problem! Let me know if you have further questions
February 22, 2013 6:41:23 PM

What you are saying, and what your pdf diagram shows are two different things. (Your diagram only shows one workstation).

Given the diagram, I would say just get rid of the switch, and plug directly into the router's built in gigabit switch... But I suspect you have more than 4 devices that need to be connected. Especially since you linked to a 24 port unmanaged rack mountable gigabit switch.

Not saying I have anything against Netgear (actually, on the contrary, I love their stuff), but if either budget or power utilization are a concern, you might want to consider the TrendNET TEG-S24Dg or the TP-Link TL-S1024D.

I cannot attest to the TP-Link, but I see a LOT of members here use them with good success. I have placed the TrendNET switches in several installations with good results. My only complaint with the TrendNET is that the rack mounting kit is sold separate from the switch itself. The TrendNET uses technology that automatically powers off the circuits to unused ports, which saves on power, as well as heat, which in turn saves on more power for HVAC.


February 22, 2013 6:54:41 PM

Thanks for the reply, However on my diagram next to the word "Client Desktop" there is an x14 representing that there are 14 workstations, also next to word "HP Network Printers" there is an x6 representing that there are 6 printers. I didnt feel like putting 14 pictures of computers and 6 pictures of printers on one page. http://db.tt/omIbRCb1 is a picture of the rack, its a 17" wide rack and the 24port netgear is a bit thinner but i have a shelve i can place it on.

dbhosttexas said:
What you are saying, and what your pdf diagram shows are two different things. (Your diagram only shows one workstation).

Given the diagram, I would say just get rid of the switch, and plug directly into the router's built in gigabit switch... But I suspect you have more than 4 devices that need to be connected. Especially since you linked to a 24 port unmanaged rack mountable gigabit switch.

Not saying I have anything against Netgear (actually, on the contrary, I love their stuff), but if either budget or power utilization are a concern, you might want to consider the TrendNET TEG-S24Dg or the TP-Link TL-S1024D.

I cannot attest to the TP-Link, but I see a LOT of members here use them with good success. I have placed the TrendNET switches in several installations with good results. My only complaint with the TrendNET is that the rack mounting kit is sold separate from the switch itself. The TrendNET uses technology that automatically powers off the circuits to unused ports, which saves on power, as well as heat, which in turn saves on more power for HVAC.
February 23, 2013 11:37:59 AM

Even thought the 3com is a boat anchor it is actually a much more powerful switch that the netgear. By powerful I mean features not speed.
You can't even start to compare a stupid unmanaged switch to a enterprise grade device. You may not need the features but that 3com likely supports dual power supplies, full support of vlan, ability to combine switches to appear as 1(ie stacking) and likely lots more depending on the exact model.
The key advantage of a managed switch is you can log into them and see port status with data rates and errors and such. Many companies run SNMP monitors to warn of issues.

If you feel you will never need these features then a unmanaged switch is fine.
February 25, 2013 1:40:07 PM

rockettpc said:
Thanks for the reply, However on my diagram next to the word "Client Desktop" there is an x14 representing that there are 14 workstations, also next to word "HP Network Printers" there is an x6 representing that there are 6 printers. I didnt feel like putting 14 pictures of computers and 6 pictures of printers on one page. http://db.tt/omIbRCb1 is a picture of the rack, its a 17" wide rack and the 24port netgear is a bit thinner but i have a shelve i can place it on.


Sorry, those details weren't that easy to make out on the phone...

If you are watching budget, and need a quality switch on the cheap, TrendNET, and TP-Link offer some good choices.

For Layer 2 managed switches..
TrendNET TLG-G244 $285.00 (ish).

TP-Link TL-SG5428 $335.00 (ish).

For unamanaged switches.

TrendNET TEG-S24Dg $120.00 + $12.00 for rack mount kit.

TP-Link TL-SG1024D $110.00

There are also some low end Cisco switches in the sub $400.00 range.
March 1, 2013 5:23:38 PM

Hey guys so check this out http://db.tt/EVUPcVN5 this is the new setup, and i tested the LAN Speed PC-PC using LANSpeedTest 1.2.0.0 and i am now getting Writing: 520.01Mbps Reading: 538.63Mbps vs our original R86.5/W90.4. After preforming the upgrade i had 2 out of 14-15 workstations that didn't register a connection at all. So i checked all the plugs and found that some of the wires had be scored previously, so i then pulled the ends off and redid them making sure not to score/damage the wires and everything is working great. Thanks for all your advise!
March 4, 2013 2:18:43 PM

Great! I'm glad everything is working correctly now :) 
March 5, 2013 2:37:22 PM

Happy to hear it is working great for you!
!