Apogee Rosetta or M-Audio delta 44 and why?

Last response: in Home Audio
January 20, 2005 3:06:21 AM

Mike Rivers Wrote:
> In article yish313.1j3kpp@news.audiobanter.com
> yish313.1j3kpp@news.audiobanter.com writes:
> -
> what is the difference besides the price of the two sound interfaces-
>
> One is a computer interface and the other one isn't.
> -
> and why ?-
>
> Because they were designed to do different things.
>
> Now maybe what you really want to know is what the difference in the
> A/D (and/or D/A) converters in each device. The difference is in what
> design compromises had to be made to accouint for the difference in
> price.

"Get Connected
With and X-FireWire card installed in an Rosetta 800 you have the power
of a professional FireWire connection to your favorite DAW: Logic 7,
Nuendo, Cubase, Cakewalk, Live or virtually any native audio production
software"

OK, so with the added X-FireWire card what would be the sound
difference in the two. I mean if im paying 300 for an m-audio soundcard
and almost 8,000 for the apogee, there has to be a difference besides
cosmetics...im not too educated on specs but maybe someone can shed
some light over this way....

Apogee Rosetta 800 specs:

NPUTS:
• Analog In 1-8: Balanced, DSUB connector
• AES in: x 4, transformer balanced, DSUB connector
• Optical - ADAT/SMUX In: Toslink
• WC In: BNC 75 ohm
OUTPUTS:
• Analog Out 1-8: Balanced, DSUB connector.
• AES Out: x 4, transformer balanced, DSUB connector
• Optical - ADAT/SMUX Out: Toslink
• WC Out: BNC 75 ohm

SPECS:
• Sample rates: 44.1 - 48k, 88.2 - 96k (+/-10%);
176.4 - 192k (optional)
• Frequency response: 10 –20k (+/- 0.2 dB) at 44.1k
• Analog max levels: +6dBV, +20dBu, +24dBu max
(set by internal jumper)
• Dynamic range: 114 dB A weighted (AD + DA)
• THD+N: -105 dB (AD), -103 dB (DA)
• Power: 90-250 VAC, 50-60Hz, 45Watt

M-Audio Delta 44 Specs:

4 x 4 24-bit/96kHz full-duplex audio interface
4 x 4 analog I/O
software controlled 36-bit internal DSP digital mixing/routing
software configurable for +4dBu and -10dBV signal levels
zero-latency monitoring
greatly expandable with Omni i/o
Apple G5 compatible
includes Maximum Audio Tools software bundle
frequency response: 22Hz-22kHz, -0.3, -0.2dB

dynamic range: 103dB (A-weighted) (D/A)

99dB (A-weighted) (A/D)

THD: 0.002% (D/A)

0.0023% (A/D)

size/weight: 5-1/8” x 7/8” x 5-3/8”; 0.8 lbs.

--
yish313
Anonymous

In article <yish313.1j4ypo@news.audiobanter.com> yish313.1j4ypo@news.audiobanter.com writes:

> OK, so with the added X-FireWire card what would be the sound
> difference in the two. I mean if im paying 300 for an m-audio soundcard
> and almost 8,000 for the apogee, there has to be a difference besides
> cosmetics...im not too educated on specs but maybe someone can shed
> some light over this way....
>

> Apogee Rosetta 800 specs:

> M-Audio Delta 44 Specs:

Forget the specs. If you're thinking of spending several thousand
dollars for a "sound card" you'd best arrange to listen to it,
preferably comparing the two units. If you can hear a difference then
you have to decide if that difference is worth the difference in
price. And if you can't hear a difference, get the cheaper one.

January 20, 2005 3:32:46 PM

"yish313" <yish313.1j4ypo@news.audiobanter.com> wrote in message
> Mike Rivers Wrote:
>> In article yish313.1j3kpp@news.audiobanter.com
>> yish313.1j3kpp@news.audiobanter.com writes:
>> -
>> what is the difference besides the price of the two sound interfaces-
>>
>> One is a computer interface and the other one isn't.
>> -
>> and why ?-
>>
>> Because they were designed to do different things.
>>
>> Now maybe what you really want to know is what the difference in the
>> A/D (and/or D/A) converters in each device. The difference is in what
>> design compromises had to be made to accouint for the difference in
>> price.
>>

> "Get Connected
> With and X-FireWire card installed in an Rosetta 800 you have the
> power of a professional FireWire connection to your favorite DAW:
> Logic 7, Nuendo, Cubase, Cakewalk, Live or virtually any native audio
> production software"
>

> OK, so with the added X-FireWire card what would be the sound
> difference in the two. I mean if im paying 300 for an m-audio
> soundcard and almost 8,000 for the apogee, there has to be a
> difference besides cosmetics...im not too educated on specs but maybe
> someone can shed some light over this way....
>

> Apogee Rosetta 800 specs:
>
> NPUTS:
> . Analog In 1-8: Balanced, DSUB connector
> . AES in: x 4, transformer balanced, DSUB connector
> . Optical - ADAT/SMUX In: Toslink
> . WC In: BNC 75 ohm
> OUTPUTS:
> . Analog Out 1-8: Balanced, DSUB connector.
> . AES Out: x 4, transformer balanced, DSUB connector
> . Optical - ADAT/SMUX Out: Toslink
> . WC Out: BNC 75 ohm
>
> SPECS:
> . Sample rates: 44.1 - 48k, 88.2 - 96k (+/-10%);
> 176.4 - 192k (optional)
> . Frequency response: 10 -20k (+/- 0.2 dB) at 44.1k
> . Analog max levels: +6dBV, +20dBu, +24dBu max
> (set by internal jumper)
> . Dynamic range: 114 dB A weighted (AD + DA)
> . THD+N: -105 dB (AD), -103 dB (DA)
> . Power: 90-250 VAC, 50-60Hz, 45Watt
>

> M-Audio Delta 44 Specs:
>
> 4 x 4 24-bit/96kHz full-duplex audio interface
> 4 x 4 analog I/O
> software controlled 36-bit internal DSP digital mixing/routing
> software configurable for +4dBu and -10dBV signal levels
> zero-latency monitoring
> greatly expandable with Omni i/o
> Apple G5 compatible
> includes Maximum Audio Tools software bundle
> frequency response: 22Hz-22kHz, -0.3, -0.2dB
>
> dynamic range: 103dB (A-weighted) (D/A)
>
> 99dB (A-weighted) (A/D)
>
> THD: 0.002% (D/A)
>
> 0.0023% (A/D)
>
> size/weight: 5-1/8" x 7/8" x 5-3/8"; 0.8 lbs.

In terms of specs, the Rosetta is obviously about 10 dB quieter, and its
quieter at a performance point where improvements cost lots of money. Also
the Rosetta as true active balanced I/O while the Delta 44 has TRS
connectors, but they are connected in such a way that there really isn't
true active balanced I/O.
!