vocal equipment help.

Last response: in Home Audio
January 20, 2005 10:38:22 AM

hi, i am on a budget and am going to join a band as a vocalist. what
equipment should i buy? i already have a nice mic.
what do i need to make me sound pro.
id appreciate if you could list budget equipment and/or high-end
equipment, that'd be sweet, cuz i might have more money in the future.
also, please please describe each piece of hardware's function, as i am
not very knowledgable of what their purpose serves.
do not worry about me not understand the purpose though, i know how to use
EQ, dynamics, etc. i have been in recording for a while, but all these
different things that must be hooked up together just to sing- i have no
idea what they do, besides my mic.
thanks!

More about : vocal equipment

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 1:52:07 PM

In article <4202faf319017e7c2bea5be5f93c2f5f@localhost.talkaboutaudio.com> stamstibibi@yahoo.com writes:

> hi, i am on a budget and am going to join a band as a vocalist. what
> equipment should i buy? i already have a nice mic.
> what do i need to make me sound pro.

A personal vocal coach perhaps? You shouldn't need anything but a
microphone, and then only if you have an unusual voice that doesn't
sound decent with an SM-58. We can talk about personal in-ear monitors
and all that but that's a band decision. If the band is providing
their own PA system all the time, then you can consider something like
this. But if you're doing bar gigs and use the house system and house
engineer, about the best you can do is hand your mic to the engineer
and ask him to use that on your voice. But if it's something esoteric
or a mic that isn't normally suited for live sound application, you
may be handing him trouble.

If your problem is feedback through the vocal channel, you could
invest in one of the high end Sabine feedback eliminators, but the low
end ones (from Sabine as well as others) usually make a mess of the
sound if they're set to be effective in eliminating feedback.

There may be a specific effect that you use for a certain song, and
you may want to carry your own effect device and program it for the
special vocal effects, but in general, whatever reverb unit is part of
the hous system and with which the house engineer has experience will
be sufficient until you reach diva status.

Now if it's going to be up to you to choose the entire PA system for
the band, you need much more assistance than you should rely on
(though you'll probably get plenty of advice) from this newsgroup. Get
your band together, discuss your total needs, then take a few members
shopping to see what's available within your price range.

January 20, 2005 4:46:05 PM

Are you talking about peforming live or recording?

"phantoms" <stamstibibi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> hi, i am on a budget and am going to join a band as a vocalist. what
> equipment should i buy? i already have a nice mic.
> what do i need to make me sound pro.
> id appreciate if you could list budget equipment and/or high-end
> equipment, that'd be sweet, cuz i might have more money in the future.
> also, please please describe each piece of hardware's function, as i am
> not very knowledgable of what their purpose serves.
> do not worry about me not understand the purpose though, i know how to use
> EQ, dynamics, etc. i have been in recording for a while, but all these
> different things that must be hooked up together just to sing- i have no
> idea what they do, besides my mic.
> thanks!

January 20, 2005 6:41:21 PM

Spend all your money on singing lessons. It is not a joke.

"phantoms" <stamstibibi@yahoo.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> hi, i am on a budget and am going to join a band as a vocalist. what
> equipment should i buy? i already have a nice mic.
> what do i need to make me sound pro.
> id appreciate if you could list budget equipment and/or high-end
> equipment, that'd be sweet, cuz i might have more money in the future.
> also, please please describe each piece of hardware's function, as i am
> not very knowledgable of what their purpose serves.
> do not worry about me not understand the purpose though, i know how to use
> EQ, dynamics, etc. i have been in recording for a while, but all these
> different things that must be hooked up together just to sing- i have no
> idea what they do, besides my mic.
> thanks!

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 11:13:35 PM

I'd go for voice lessons, and included with that hopefully would be
proper microphone technique.

Ken/Eleven Shadows/Nectarphonic
!