Mykodacon

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2003
I am confused about the CAS latency.

I have a P4 3.06 oc'd to 3449. I have 2 sticks of Rdram pc1066. My CAS latency is set to 32. My FSB is set at 150/38. When I am trying to make my Ram perform the best, am I trying to lower the CAS latency, or raise it? Even when I lower it to 31, I get worse 3dmark scores, they are jumpy. Am I supposed to be trying to raise the latency number, or lower it? I also read something about increasing the DDR voltage... Does this apply at all to RDram? I was assuming this meant raising the CPU voltage - but I am probably wrong.

Thanks in advance. I could really use the help understanding in the most nontechnical terms available.

Mike

david__t

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
This should answer your question: (from Webopedia.com)

"CAS - Short for Column Address Strobe, a signal, or strobe, sent by the processor to a DRAM circuit to activate a column address. DRAM stores data in a series of rows and columns, similar in theory to a spreadsheet, and each cell where a data bit is stored exists in both a row and a column. A processor uses CAS and RAS (row address strobe) signals to retrieve data from DRAM. When data is needed, the processor activates the RAS line to specify the row where the data is needed, and then activates the CAS line to specify the column. Combined, the two signals locate the data stored in DRAM."

So since the latency is really a delay or lag you want a shorter delay / lag and therefore a smaller number. EG DDR memory should be CAS 2 rather than CAS 2.5 or 3.

I am not an expert with RDRAM but in general, when overclocking, you can raise the multipliers / clock speeds only so far before you then have to start increasing the voltages as well. Maybe in your case you have reached a point where your memory voltage needs to go up otherwise the speed increase difference is actually causing you to have lower benchmark scores.

With a CPU like you have I would just stick to the regulation speeds and get a decent video card - you must have plenty of cash if you have a P4 3.06. Although you might get better benchmark scores when overclocked I would be surprised if you noticed a difference in real world gameplay.

you must get some impressive scores @ 3.5GHz though :)

Geforce FX: Now we can all experience living by an airport :)

Mykodacon

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2003
Hmmm... last night when I had it at 150/30 I thought it said 3499... I just looked, and it says 3.45. I have it at 150/38 right now... I am going to change it back to 150/30 to see if I saw right, or I just types it in wrong. If I typed it in wrong... sorry about that.

Mike