quick question - diablo 2

Hello - a couple of questions

1. Is there a Diablo 2 NG?

2. I have just got a new PC , so after many months of not playing, Im
rediscovering the delights of LOD 1.10. However - my orig play disc
appears to be becoming worn (I used to death on my mac) is there an
easy way of playing from HD?

Ta

In article <1120472131.563210.319380@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
rob_murfin@hotmail.com says...
> Hello - a couple of questions
>
> 1. Is there a Diablo 2 NG?
>

> 2. I have just got a new PC , so after many months of not playing, Im
> rediscovering the delights of LOD 1.10. However - my orig play disc
> appears to be becoming worn (I used to death on my mac) is there an
> easy way of playing from HD?

Surely it works with the LOD disk?

- Gerry Quinn

On 4 Jul 2005 03:15:31 -0700, rob_murfin@hotmail.com wrote:

> 1. Is there a Diablo 2 NG?

There are two: alt.games.diablo and alt.games.diablo2. The latter is more
active, but both discuss D2 topics.

> 2. I have just got a new PC , so after many months of not playing, Im
> rediscovering the delights of LOD 1.10. However - my orig play disc
> appears to be becoming worn (I used to death on my mac) is there an
> easy way of playing from HD?

On a PC, you can just install Daemon Tools and make an image of the play
disc, but I don't know if there are similar utilities for the Mac. You can
also copy the music and video files from the disc on the HD, then the CD
will only be accessed at startup. Umm, just saw you said PC .. yes, Daemon
Tools and an image of the disc are the way to go then. :)

M.

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

rob_murfin@hotmail.com wrote:

>Hello - a couple of questions
>
>1. Is there a Diablo 2 NG?
>

>2. I have just got a new PC , so after many months of not playing, Im
>rediscovering the delights of LOD 1.10. However - my orig play disc
>appears to be becoming worn (I used to death on my mac) is there an
>easy way of playing from HD?

IIRC, if you copy all the .mpq files from the CD to the D2 directory
on your hard drive, then the CD will still be required to start the
game, but will not be accessed while playing. This should reduce wear
and tear.
--
Greg
phobos78-marslink-net

"Greg" <see_sig@abc.xyz> wrote in message
> rob_murfin@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>>Hello - a couple of questions
>>
>>1. Is there a Diablo 2 NG?

alt.games.diablo2 and alt.games.diablo

>>2. I have just got a new PC , so after many months of not playing, Im
>>rediscovering the delights of LOD 1.10. However - my orig play disc
>>appears to be becoming worn (I used to death on my mac) is there an
>>easy way of playing from HD?

Download an emulator like this
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/portal.php copy your original CD to
an image. Turn on security emulation and load the image when you want to
play.

http://www.gunde.de/diablo2/agd2faq.php

cheers,
Stu.

Haven't played D2 since the WoW release. :)

> IIRC, if you copy all the .mpq files from the CD to the D2 directory
> on your hard drive, then the CD will still be required to start the
> game, but will not be accessed while playing. This should reduce wear
> and tear.
> --
> Greg
> phobos78-marslink-net
> Replace dashes and move in by 1 planet to reply.

nostromo

Thus spake "3phAse" <3phAse@elektrickery.com>, Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:23:25
+0800, Anno Domini:

>"Greg" <see_sig@abc.xyz> wrote in message
>> rob_murfin@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>>>Hello - a couple of questions
>>>
>>>1. Is there a Diablo 2 NG?
>
>alt.games.diablo2 and alt.games.diablo
>
>>>2. I have just got a new PC , so after many months of not playing, Im
>>>rediscovering the delights of LOD 1.10. However - my orig play disc
>>>appears to be becoming worn (I used to death on my mac) is there an
>>>easy way of playing from HD?
>
>Download an emulator like this
>http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/portal.php copy your original CD to
>an image. Turn on security emulation and load the image when you want to
>play.
>
>http://www.gunde.de/diablo2/agd2faq.php
>

>cheers,
>Stu.

Yo Stuuuuuuuuuuuu!!! Haven't seen you around for quite some time. How the
fark you been man? What's new in online gaming for ya? I did a year with CoH
post-D2 & now 3 mths with EQ2 but I don't think I can continue with
it...just too much of a grind. I think Guild Wars is next...definitely! :)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message
> Thus spake "3phAse" <3phAse@elektrickery.com>, Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:23:25
> +0800, Anno Domini:
>

>>"Greg" <see_sig@abc.xyz> wrote in message

>>alt.games.diablo2 and alt.games.diablo

>>Download an emulator like this
>>http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/portal.php copy your original CD to
>>an image. Turn on security emulation and load the image when you want to
>>play.
>>
>>http://www.gunde.de/diablo2/agd2faq.php
>>

>>cheers,
>>Stu.
>
> Yo Stuuuuuuuuuuuu!!! Haven't seen you around for quite some time. How the
> fark you been man? What's new in online gaming for ya? I did a year with
> CoH
> post-D2 & now 3 mths with EQ2 but I don't think I can continue with
> it...just too much of a grind. I think Guild Wars is next...definitely! :)

G'day Rob! :D
I've been good thanks mate, joined the World of Warcraft masses in
mid-December and I've been playing it almost exclusively since then. (Though
if Blizzard keep introducing bugs with their content updates I may be
dumping my subscription) Guild Wars is sounding alright *crosses fingers*
and it may suit my limited playing time these days. (renovating the house.)
:)

cheers,
Stu.

nostromo

Thus spake "3phAse" <3phAse@elektrickery.com>, Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:51:14
+0800, Anno Domini:

>"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message
>> Thus spake "3phAse" <3phAse@elektrickery.com>, Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:23:25
>> +0800, Anno Domini:
>>

>>>"Greg" <see_sig@abc.xyz> wrote in message

>>>alt.games.diablo2 and alt.games.diablo

>>>Download an emulator like this
>>>http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/portal.php copy your original CD to
>>>an image. Turn on security emulation and load the image when you want to
>>>play.
>>>
>>>http://www.gunde.de/diablo2/agd2faq.php
>>>

>>>cheers,
>>>Stu.
>>
>> Yo Stuuuuuuuuuuuu!!! Haven't seen you around for quite some time. How the
>> fark you been man? What's new in online gaming for ya? I did a year with
>> CoH
>> post-D2 & now 3 mths with EQ2 but I don't think I can continue with
>> it...just too much of a grind. I think Guild Wars is next...definitely! :)
>>

>G'day Rob! :D
>I've been good thanks mate, joined the World of Warcraft masses in
>mid-December and I've been playing it almost exclusively since then. (Though
>if Blizzard keep introducing bugs with their content updates I may be
>dumping my subscription) Guild Wars is sounding alright *crosses fingers*
>and it may suit my limited playing time these days. (renovating the house.)
>:)
>
>cheers,
>Stu.

Hey matey - good to hear from ya! ;-)

I'll probably buy GW Friday & d/l it overnight ready for this w/e :)
(Chainbreaker has it & might be up for some w/e madness as well possibly).

Is it one server or multiple servers, & if multiple PLEASE tell me one can
move one's char from server to server? *cringe* If not, which one you parked
on?

Btw, what's your current email addy? Send me something to my usual address
pls.

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:56:52 +1000, Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au>
wrote:

<Guild Wars enquiry>

>Is it one server or multiple servers, & if multiple PLEASE tell me one can
>move one's char from server to server?

One server for towns, but everything else is instanced.
--
Greg Johnson
Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

Thusly Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com> Spake Unto All:

>On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:56:52 +1000, Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au>
>wrote:
>
><Guild Wars enquiry>
>
>>Is it one server or multiple servers, & if multiple PLEASE tell me one can
>>move one's char from server to server?
>
>One server for towns, but everything else is instanced.

Meaning that yes, you can move your char anywhere you want. Including
between European or US servers. Not sure if you can move to the Korean
servers.

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal

nostromo

Thus spake Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com>, Wed, 13 Jul 2005 19:49:04
+1000, Anno Domini:

>On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:56:52 +1000, Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au>
>wrote:
>
><Guild Wars enquiry>
>
>>Is it one server or multiple servers, & if multiple PLEASE tell me one can
>>move one's char from server to server?
>
>One server for towns, but everything else is instanced.

Cool. Man, it sure must get crowded :) Or are there multiple instances of
towns and/or multiple towns on the same server?

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

Thusly Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> Spake Unto All:

>>One server for towns, but everything else is instanced.
>
>Cool. Man, it sure must get crowded :) Or are there multiple instances of
>towns and/or multiple towns on the same server?

There are four "regions" - Europe (subdivided into English, German and
French), North America, International, and Korea. Each Region is
basically a gameworld, although one can move between them.

Each region is served by a large number of individual servers, which
are assigned dynamically depending on load. For instance, in English
speaking Europe the biggest city, Ascalon, typically consists of 8 -
15 "districts", each it's own logical (not physical) server.

Upon entering a town you're automatically assigned to the district
with lightest load, but you're free to change to any other you wish
(you'd do this to meet up with friends).

When you leave a town you enter an instance. You can only leave the
instance through entering a town.

In an instance your maximum teamsize is 8 people in the PvE campaign,
or up to 3 teams of 8 people each in the PvP campaign.

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.

KAOS

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 07:46:11 +1000, Nostromo
<nostromo@spamfree.net.au> dared speak in front of ME:

>Thus spake Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com>, Wed, 13 Jul 2005 19:49:04
>+1000, Anno Domini:
>
>>On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:56:52 +1000, Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au>
>>wrote:
>>
>><Guild Wars enquiry>
>>
>>>Is it one server or multiple servers, & if multiple PLEASE tell me one can
>>>move one's char from server to server?
>>
>>One server for towns, but everything else is instanced.
>
>Cool. Man, it sure must get crowded :) Or are there multiple instances of
>towns and/or multiple towns on the same server?

There are multiple 'districts' to each town, so in a way it's multiple
instances.
--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from

nostromo

Thus spake Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk>, Thu, 14 Jul
2005 01:30:07 +0200, Anno Domini:

>Thusly Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> Spake Unto All:
>
>>>One server for towns, but everything else is instanced.
>>
>>Cool. Man, it sure must get crowded :) Or are there multiple instances of
>>towns and/or multiple towns on the same server?
>
>There are four "regions" - Europe (subdivided into English, German and
>French), North America, International, and Korea. Each Region is
>basically a gameworld, although one can move between them.
>
>Each region is served by a large number of individual servers, which
>are assigned dynamically depending on load. For instance, in English
>speaking Europe the biggest city, Ascalon, typically consists of 8 -
>15 "districts", each it's own logical (not physical) server.
>
>Upon entering a town you're automatically assigned to the district
>with lightest load, but you're free to change to any other you wish
>(you'd do this to meet up with friends).
>
>When you leave a town you enter an instance. You can only leave the
>instance through entering a town.
>
>In an instance your maximum teamsize is 8 people in the PvE campaign,
>or up to 3 teams of 8 people each in the PvP campaign.

Tx matey. You playing I take it? What timezone/server/character typically? I
might look you up when I'm on if you don't mind ;-)

(I imagine one can't shout across all servers/regions? The level of spam
would be deafening :)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

Thusly Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> Spake Unto All:

>(I imagine one can't shout across all servers/regions? The level of spam
>would be deafening :)

That depends on channel. The ALL and TRADE channels are open to all
and local, but the GUILD channel (which is only open to members of
your guild) and the WHISPER channel (player-to-player) are, I believe,
worldwide.

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.

nostromo

Thus spake Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk>, Thu, 14 Jul
2005 09:19:45 +0200, Anno Domini:

>Thusly Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> Spake Unto All:
>
>>(I imagine one can't shout across all servers/regions? The level of spam
>>would be deafening :)
>
>That depends on channel. The ALL and TRADE channels are open to all
>and local, but the GUILD channel (which is only open to members of
>your guild) and the WHISPER channel (player-to-player) are, I believe,
>worldwide.

I'm in!!! (pay came through early he he). I'm up to 5th necro/ranger already
& loving it! Haven't really grouped, nor have I worked out how to pick up
NPCs, but I've got a big cat & all the undead I can summon :)

Char name is "Carriona Le Fey" btw - look me up when you're online ;-)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

Thusly Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> Spake Unto All:

>I'm in!!! (pay came through early he he). I'm up to 5th necro/ranger already
>& loving it! Haven't really grouped, nor have I worked out how to pick up
>NPCs, but I've got a big cat & all the undead I can summon :)

You're probably still in pre-searing, before the Portentous Event(tm)
which kicks off the story, and there you can't group with npc's
(except during some quests). Basically pre-searing is a tutorial area,
and high-level avatars can't go there, but IMO you shouldn't be too
quick to leave it and go to the war. I like the 'fairytale' feel of
pre-searing, and feel it's one of the nicest areas in the game (my
other favorite area is the Crystal Desert, for the open spaces and
tranquility).

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.

nostromo

Thus spake Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk>, Thu, 14 Jul
2005 18:11:11 +0200, Anno Domini:

>Thusly Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> Spake Unto All:
>
>>I'm in!!! (pay came through early he he). I'm up to 5th necro/ranger already
>>& loving it! Haven't really grouped, nor have I worked out how to pick up
>>NPCs, but I've got a big cat & all the undead I can summon :)
>
>You're probably still in pre-searing, before the Portentous Event(tm)
>which kicks off the story, and there you can't group with npc's
>(except during some quests). Basically pre-searing is a tutorial area,
>and high-level avatars can't go there, but IMO you shouldn't be too
>quick to leave it and go to the war. I like the 'fairytale' feel of
>pre-searing, and feel it's one of the nicest areas in the game (my
>other favorite area is the Crystal Desert, for the open spaces and
>tranquility).

Okie dokie, I think I know what you mean. The main guy in the city says I'm
ready to go off to war, but I'm holding off. I wanted to explore more of the
wilderness around Ascalon + the abbey. There the ranger guys off to the side
that I'm getting some training from. So, I take it there's only so much I
can do before I have to trip the next leg of the story? What level would you
recommend I hang around on until I'm 'ready'?

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

Thusly Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> Spake Unto All:

>Okie dokie, I think I know what you mean. The main guy in the city says I'm
>ready to go off to war, but I'm holding off.

That's the guy, yes.

>I wanted to explore more of the
>wilderness around Ascalon + the abbey.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

> There the ranger guys off to the side
>that I'm getting some training from. So, I take it there's only so much I
>can do before I have to trip the next leg of the story? What level would you
>recommend I hang around on until I'm 'ready'?

You needn't really worry about level - I've seen lvl 2's go through
and do OK; me I did all quests except one and went through at lvl 8
with my first avatar. Explore till you feel you're done with the area,
then go through.

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.

nostromo

Thus spake Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk>, Fri, 15 Jul
2005 00:26:07 +0200, Anno Domini:

>Thusly Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> Spake Unto All:
>
>>Okie dokie, I think I know what you mean. The main guy in the city says I'm
>>ready to go off to war, but I'm holding off.
>
>That's the guy, yes.
>
>>I wanted to explore more of the
>>wilderness around Ascalon + the abbey.
>
>Sounds like a good idea to me.
>
>> There the ranger guys off to the side
>>that I'm getting some training from. So, I take it there's only so much I
>>can do before I have to trip the next leg of the story? What level would you
>>recommend I hang around on until I'm 'ready'?
>
>You needn't really worry about level - I've seen lvl 2's go through
>and do OK; me I did all quests except one and went through at lvl 8
>with my first avatar. Explore till you feel you're done with the area,
>then go through.

Cool - tx MC. Look me up online "Carriona Le Fey" if you think you can
handle me in larger doses MUHAHAHA! >;-)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.