ComposerParsons

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Hello,

I recently did a mobo/cpu upgrade. Can't boot. Win 7 64-bit. Have tried Factory restore, Win 7 Disk and a Win 7 boot disk. Also tried System Repair and System Restore. I set the bios boot order to CD 1st CD 2nd and Hdd 3rd. Nothing works, I keep winding up in System Repair.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,

ComposerParsons

you may be able to fix windows you have to boot into safe mode if you can.then go in to device manager and remove all the devices there and then reboot. you also want to uninstall the video card drivers and your anti virus software too as the may hang windows.

ComposerParsons

Distinguished
May 21, 2011

Thank you for your response. I can't boot into windows at all. I am only provided the option of repairing the system or restoring the system, neither works. After those options are exhausted, I am offered the choice of 1. Restore the the system with a backup image, 2. boot from a lan, and several other choices including go to a system prompt.

Can't do the restore from backup because it is on an external drive. Can't boot from a lan, don't have one. At the system prompt (x:) I am able to explore all 3 of my SATA drives and everything is there. Can't get to my DVD drive either.

If I could just get to my external drive, I could restore the system image. I don't have any other ideas.

ComposerParsons

Distinguished
May 21, 2011

Thank you for your response. Can't get to Safe Mode

norton ghost and other back up software you can make a boot usb stick. if you have too pick up a 8g use stick and install windows on it.you should then be able to boot and recover your data. if your looking to get the data off you could also reinstall windows on the boot drive you end up with a win.bak folder with your old windows files but your data files will be fine.

jamesmcuk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Go in to your BIOS and change the mode of the hard disk. It could be set to AHCI - SATA - IDE - ATA - RAID try each of the other options and see if that allows you to boot up. You will probably end up getting a blue screen due to the chipset drivers being wrong but then at least you will be able to get to safe mode.

ComposerParsons

Distinguished
May 21, 2011

Thanks for your reply. I was able to fix the problem. All it took was pressing F12 during boot, chose my DVD drive and booted from an OS disk.