Anyone played Sacred Underworld?

I picked it up and started a new character to see if they fixed the main
program/campaign. So far things work fine. Has anyone played the actual
add-on campaign yet and can comment on it? Just curious what I'm in for.

M.

Michael Vondung schrieb:
> I picked it up and started a new character to see if they fixed the main
> program/campaign. So far things work fine. Has anyone played the actual
> add-on campaign yet and can comment on it? Just curious what I'm in for.
>
> M.

I liked it. They changed and expanded some quests in the original game.
Ok, there are some little bugs again, like wrong quest pointer etc, but
I don't know if they fixed them with the latest patch. I haven't played
with it, because the patch could not repair old savegames and I didn't
want to start over again.

For me, playing Sacred without expansion is like playing Diablo 2
without expansion. It adds a lot of fun.

-Niels-

On that special day, Michael Vondung, (mvondung@gmail.com) said...

> I picked it up and started a new character to see if they fixed the main
> program/campaign. So far things work fine. Has anyone played the actual
> add-on campaign yet and can comment on it? Just curious what I'm in for.

You should download and install the patch 2.22, as ther was a bug with
the Tentacles of the Demoness, which would cause lags. And don't
wonder, where the random quests are gone, they "fixed" them that way.

The game gets more than just an "Act 5"; it is a fully fledged new
story. The first portion was tedious for me, as my chracter was waqy
beyond lvl25 when he (a battle mage) entered the area. Be careful in
the NukNuk forest; the clan chiefs have a nasty weapon that they throw,
and that hits hard.

There are some bugged quests with the pirates; mainly the one with the
potions against skeletons (in the German version, they are called
"draft of hell"). It does only work with full potions, so you'll have
to collect some, if you want to finish it. It isn't important for the
main quest, though.

The hardest area is close to the end, the Rim of Hell, the Valley of
Tears and the Palace, where there are strong monsters that can stun and
even silence you (beware the brains). In the palace, there are strong
fire throwing elite guards, which guard the stairs to the place where
Anducar stands (trap!). And Anducar is no wimp, he is a Demon.

The setting is too eery for my taste, but I can stick with the
"lighter" side of Sacred and still advance in other difficulties, so
there is no problem if you install it, but don't want to visit too
often.

Of course, there are new sets.

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.

nostromo

Does Sacred Underworld still require Sacred Plus to be installed as
well/first?

Also, does the game still check for Daemon Tools/Alcohol 120 & not allow
installation/running until they are fully *uninstalled*??? If so, I don't
think I'll be trying it any time soon :)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

Nostromo schrieb:
> Does Sacred Underworld still require Sacred Plus to be installed as
> well/first?

Yes, since it is an add-on.

> Also, does the game still check for Daemon Tools/Alcohol 120 & not allow
> installation/running until they are fully *uninstalled*??? If so, I don't
> think I'll be trying it any time soon :)

I don't know. I haven't reinstalled Daemon Tools after I bought my new
hard drive. IIRC, I didn't have to completely uninstall it to play
Sacred Plus. Setting the mounted drives to zero was sufficient.

-Niels-

Niels Allerheiligen schrieb:

>>Also, does the game still check for Daemon Tools/Alcohol 120 & not allow
>>installation/running until they are fully *uninstalled*??? If so, I don't
>>think I'll be trying it any time soon :)
>>

> I don't know. I haven't reinstalled Daemon Tools after I bought my new
> hard drive. IIRC, I didn't have to completely uninstall it to play
> Sacred Plus. Setting the mounted drives to zero was sufficient.

UPDATE: I have installed Daemon Tools and it works. However, since I
have no program to rip my CD to ISO, I played with the original disc in
the drive. Maybe you still get problems when you try to play from a
mounted image but that is merely an assumption.

-Niels-

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 07:45:34 +1000, Nostromo wrote:

> Does Sacred Underworld still require Sacred Plus to be installed as
> well/first?

Sacred Plus is a free download if you have the original Sacred. 130 MB or
so. The add-on works with plain Sacred too, though, at least that's what
the installer claims.

M.

nostromo

Thus spake Niels Allerheiligen <oberhaeuptling_KEINEWERBUNG@freenet.de>,
Fri, 08 Jul 2005 09:40:09 +0200, Anno Domini:

>Niels Allerheiligen schrieb:
>
>>>Also, does the game still check for Daemon Tools/Alcohol 120 & not allow
>>>installation/running until they are fully *uninstalled*??? If so, I don't
>>>think I'll be trying it any time soon :)
>>>

>> I don't know. I haven't reinstalled Daemon Tools after I bought my new
>> hard drive. IIRC, I didn't have to completely uninstall it to play
>> Sacred Plus. Setting the mounted drives to zero was sufficient.
>
>UPDATE: I have installed Daemon Tools and it works. However, since I
>have no program to rip my CD to ISO, I played with the original disc in
>the drive. Maybe you still get problems when you try to play from a
>mounted image but that is merely an assumption.
>
>-Niels-

Tx mate. Hopefully someone here may know more.

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

On that special day, Nostromo, (nostromo@spamfree.net.au) said...

> Also, does the game still check for Daemon Tools/Alcohol 120 & not allow
> installation/running until they are fully *uninstalled*???

It *deactivates* the functions of the Daemon tools, but Dt does still
run on my XP machine. After playing Sacred, I'll have to load the iso
image again, and activate the securom et al emulations, if I want to
play its model, D2. This way, Sacred cannot be run from an iso, you'll
have to keep the CD in the drive.

Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com> once tried to test me with:

>> Does Sacred Underworld still require Sacred Plus to be installed as
>> well/first?
>
> Sacred Plus is a free download if you have the original Sacred. 130 MB or
> so. The add-on works with plain Sacred too, though, at least that's what
> the installer claims.

Does the Sacred Underworld CD have the Plus upgrade on it for those of us
who have the original Sacred only? Or do I need to download the Plus
upgrade first, then install Underworld?

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Thusly Gabriele Neukam <Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de> Spake
Unto All:

>It *deactivates* the functions of the Daemon tools

Daemon Tools allows renaming the driver. Have you tried that?

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal

On that special day, Knight37, (knight37m@gmail.com) said...

> Does the Sacred Underworld CD have the Plus upgrade on it for those of us
> who have the original Sacred only? Or do I need to download the Plus
> upgrade first, then install Underworld?

From http://forum.sacredeng.ascaron-net.com/showthread.php?t=31147

IMPORTANT NOTE: In addition to the minimum system requirements, an
original copy of SACRED or SACRED Plus is also required to play the
Underworld expansion pack. This apploes to all single and multiplayer
modes.

(the typo is in the original text)

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.

Gabriele Neukam <Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de> once tried to
test me with:

>> Does the Sacred Underworld CD have the Plus upgrade on it for those
>> of us who have the original Sacred only? Or do I need to download the
>> Plus upgrade first, then install Underworld?
>
> From http://forum.sacredeng.ascaron-net.com/showthread.php?t=31147
>
> IMPORTANT NOTE: In addition to the minimum system requirements, an
> original copy of SACRED or SACRED Plus is also required to play the
> Underworld expansion pack. This apploes to all single and multiplayer
> modes.

That's not what I'm asking. What I'm asking is if you have Sacred but not
Plus, will you get Plus if you install Underworld or will you have to
download Plus to get that content?

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

nostromo

Thus spake Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk>, Sat, 09 Jul
2005 14:23:06 +0200, Anno Domini:

>Thusly Gabriele Neukam <Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de> Spake
>Unto All:
>
>>It *deactivates* the functions of the Daemon tools
>
>Daemon Tools allows renaming the driver. Have you tried that?

What do you mean by 'renaming the driver' MC?

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

Thusly Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> Spake Unto All:

>>Daemon Tools allows renaming the driver. Have you tried that?
>
>What do you mean by 'renaming the driver' MC?

Maybe I'm misremembering here, but isn't it Daemon Tools which, during
install, gives you the option of naming the driver?

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.

nostromo

Thus spake Gabriele Neukam <Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de>, Sat, 9
Jul 2005 17:00:33 +0200, Anno Domini:

>On that special day, Knight37, (knight37m@gmail.com) said...
>
>> Does the Sacred Underworld CD have the Plus upgrade on it for those of us
>> who have the original Sacred only? Or do I need to download the Plus
>> upgrade first, then install Underworld?
>
>From http://forum.sacredeng.ascaron-net.com/showthread.php?t=31147
>
>IMPORTANT NOTE: In addition to the minimum system requirements, an
>original copy of SACRED or SACRED Plus is also required to play the
>Underworld expansion pack. This apploes to all single and multiplayer
>modes.
>
>(the typo is in the original text)
>

>Gabriele Neukam
>
>Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

Tx Gabe! ;-)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

nostromo

Thus spake Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk>, Sun, 10 Jul
2005 01:05:36 +0200, Anno Domini:

>Thusly Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> Spake Unto All:
>
>>>Daemon Tools allows renaming the driver. Have you tried that?
>>
>>What do you mean by 'renaming the driver' MC?
>
>Maybe I'm misremembering here, but isn't it Daemon Tools which, during
>install, gives you the option of naming the driver?

Hmmm...maybe...been a while since I installed it. I'll have to check. Didn't
think I could just rename it though :)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.