Line6 guitar POD to record Bass?

Last response: in Home Audio
January 20, 2005 3:45:51 PM

I'm broke, and I'm cheap, but enough about me. I have a line6 POD for
guitar. In the manual, line6 says you can use the guitar POD to record
bass with, and that the "vaccuum tube" clean setting would be best for
it. I've heard it's bad to play bass into a real guitar amp, but I
always thought that was because the speaker cones in a guitar amp
really can't handle what a bass would put it through. Since the PODs
are all direct in and no speakers are involved, I figure this could be
made to work. I want to start adding some wicked funk bass lines to my
stuff. I figure you really can't do much better than A fender
Precision for bass work, it's the classic sound. I'd like to be able
to spend a decent amount of money on the Fender and not have to buy an
amp or more likely, a bass POD. Anybody out there who's tried this?
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 4:00:42 PM

it's passable for some dirty bass tones. I mean...it ain't no SVT rig,
but, I'm sure you knew that....
Now, the Bass Pod Pro is a great sounding studio tool. We've gotten
some very usable SVT type tones. Heck, we were recording a great
player and I pulled out my trusty mid 60s fliptop with jbl
speaker...usually floors everyone. We dialed in a better tone out of
the Pod and were able to track others at the same time as it was
direct.....can't beat that.
later,
January 20, 2005 5:11:22 PM

inke...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I have a line6 POD for
> guitar. In the manual, line6 says you can use the guitar POD to
record
> bass with, and that the "vaccuum tube" clean setting would be best
for
> it. I've heard it's bad to play bass into a real guitar amp, but I
> always thought that was because the speaker cones in a guitar amp
> really can't handle what a bass would put it through. Since the PODs
> are all direct in and no speakers are involved, I figure this could
be
> made to work...Anybody out there who's tried this?

I have on a couple instances used a Line6 POD Pro (guitar version) for
bass. It's never my first choice

(...or second, or third, or fourth, or...)

but it's passable. Set the Model to "Tube Preamp", set the Speaker
Cabinet Selector to "Off" or "None" or whatever the 6:00 position is,
set the Input Gain full CCW, start w/ all tone controls @ 12:00, and
see what you think.
January 20, 2005 6:38:43 PM

mwood5nospam@yahoo.com wrote:

> Heck, we were recording a great player and I pulled out my trusty mid
> 60s fliptop with jbl speaker...usually floors everyone. We dialed in
> a better tone out of the Pod and were able to track others at the
> same time as it was direct.....can't beat that.

The bass pod seems to get a pretty good tone at first listen. But you
may find that it doesn't hold up in the mix as well, that is what I
found with them. No question I would go with the real fliptop.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 7:59:51 PM

I use a Pod xt all the time for bass

I was doing what one other person suggested: tube pre model, bypass
the cab, etc. It wasn't too bad at all.

But, I guess when I upgraded recently to the latest mods and effects
available (there is a new upgrade for the Pod that's been out for a few
months now -- most of it free but I spent the extra $100 and bought a
whole bunch of new stuff), I've switched to the Marshall bass model and
a 15" cab and experiment with the mic simulations.
I think it sounds damn good

but, like all things, ymmv
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 11:13:34 PM

inkexit@yahoo.com wrote:
> I want to start adding some wicked funk bass lines to my
> stuff. I figure you really can't do much better than A
> fender Precision for bass work, it's the classic sound.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but ...
I was under the impression that most of the 'classic'
Funk bass players used a Jazz for the difference in the
neck and for the punchier bridge pickup.

rd
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 1:16:10 AM

RD Jones wrote:

> inkexit@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>>I want to start adding some wicked funk bass lines to my
>>stuff. I figure you really can't do much better than A
>>fender Precision for bass work, it's the classic sound.
>

> Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but ...
> I was under the impression that most of the 'classic'
> Funk bass players used a Jazz for the difference in the
> neck and for the punchier bridge pickup.

P Bass will always do in a pinch. ;)
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 1:38:26 AM

There used to be a secret combination "Franken-bass"
hybrid that someone used. Maybe a 60's Jazz neck
on an old Tele bass body or something like that.
Can't remember now who it was ...

The popularity of the P-J setup Fender sells now
is another interesting trend.

rd
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 4:34:00 AM

On 20 Jan 2005 22:38:26 -0800, "RD Jones" <annonn@juno.com> wrote:

>There used to be a secret combination "Franken-bass"
>hybrid that someone used. Maybe a 60's Jazz neck
>on an old Tele bass body or something like that.
>Can't remember now who it was ...
>
>The popularity of the P-J setup Fender sells now
>is another interesting trend.

That was started because guys were modifiying their P basses by adding
the Jazz pickup near the bridge... the best of both worlds.

Al
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 12:59:55 AM

> I'm broke, and I'm cheap, but enough about me. I have a line6 POD for
> guitar. In the manual, line6 says you can use the guitar POD to record
> bass with, and that the "vaccuum tube" clean setting would be best for
> it. I've heard it's bad to play bass into a real guitar amp, but I
> always thought that was because the speaker cones in a guitar amp
> really can't handle what a bass would put it through. Since the PODs
> are all direct in and no speakers are involved, I figure this could be
> made to work. I want to start adding some wicked funk bass lines to my
> stuff. I figure you really can't do much better than A fender
> Precision for bass work, it's the classic sound. I'd like to be able
> to spend a decent amount of money on the Fender and not have to buy an
> amp or more likely, a bass POD. Anybody out there who's tried this?

As a bassist, I've plugged my Fender P-bass direct into many a desk's
line-in with serviceable results. In fact, I've found that I can get much
better control over my tone when going direct rather than close-micing
because I'm not limited to the tone of my amp/speaker combo this way. I can
EQ and compress to my liking. This is relatively important with a P-bass
because, although it has a great sound, it's hard to get that growl or
high-end you might find on other basses. But, a little EQ boost in certain
frequencies can dramatically add life and distinction to that P-bass I've
grown up with. Actually, other than some minor adjustments at the board,
most of this is done within Sonar using FX plugins.

I do own a Bass PodXT, and I enjoy working with it. I use it mostly for live
work (both with my P-bass, and my Spector 5 string). But, most of the FX on
that I rarely use during recording. What I find useful is the fact that I
can get a relatively hot signal, decent compression (without typical
artifacts you find on compressors with a bass signal), and good control of
the EQ. It's not perfect, but what it lacks I can usually make up for in
Sonar if I don't tweak it too much before laying down the tracks. I think
you can acheive most of this with a Guitar Pod as well. I wouldn't mess too
much with the amp sims, since you can probably adjust the tone to your
liking better after tracking. If you are not tracking, and planning to use
this DI approach for live work, just ask for a side-fill or wedge with your
bass accentuated on that monitor mix. It should do the trick.

Craig
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 1:07:36 AM

>> I want to start adding some wicked funk bass lines to my
>> stuff. I figure you really can't do much better than A
>> fender Precision for bass work, it's the classic sound.
>
> Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but ...
> I was under the impression that most of the 'classic'
> Funk bass players used a Jazz for the difference in the
> neck and for the punchier bridge pickup.
>
> rd

I guess it depends on what genre you are referring to. If you are talking
about Jaco, then the J-bass is the classic sound. But, if you are talking
rock or motown, the P-bass is classic. Although I've always loved the J-bass
punch, there's nothing like the neck feel of a P-bass. While it may lack the
punch of the J-bass, the P-bass is renowned for its rumble.

Craig
January 22, 2005 3:48:45 AM

This was actually a very nice advice. I use BassPod Pro for my bass tracks,
but since I'm not a bassist, I sometimes have hard time recognizing a good
bass tone even if it hit me on the head with a hammer. ;)

Any other good advices/hints on how to make the most of Bass Pod Pro? They
would be appreciated...

Kalle

!