Ashish34

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2002
Ok, might seem like a small questions, but here it goes:
1) Which rechargeable battery is better (for regular AA/AAA batteries) - NiCd or NiMh?? And if one is better, why do you feel it is better?
2) I've noticed that rechargeable's only have a voltage of 1.2V, and regular batteries have a voltage of 1.5V. I've never tried the rechargeables before (except once with an igniter for a hobby rocket, which failed with the 1.2V recharables despite the rechargeables being fully charged; but the igniter lit with regular 1.5's). So, will the lower voltage make a difference in many of the commonly used devices? (MP3 players, flashlights, some telephones, etc.)
3)I have a cordless phone (relatively new) that uses a Nickel Cadmium (NiCd). Do these batteries degrade very quickly (lose their capacity) if charged all the time (before it is completely decharged)?

The main reason I ask is that I spend far, far too much money on batteries (the main reason being my "I-shouldve-known-why-it-was-on-sale" MP3 player eating batteries at the rate of one per week, with me playing it maybe an hour or so a day, for maybe 4 or 5 days out of the week).

Thanks much

~ApT~

Running:
333 MHz Celeron (Slot1)
192 MB RAM
4 MB ATi Rage LT Integrated Video
ESS 1869 Integrated Audio
Comcrap (Compaq) mobo<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ashish34 on 09/01/03 01:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
NiMH batteries are better. They are more powerful and do not have "memory". As for the voltages you are right. The rechargable batteries are 1.2V and regular batteries are 1.5V. I am not sure if the batteries would power your Mp3 player. I am pretty sure it would work, but I would contact the manufacturer to make sure.

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't disposable batteries have a fairly linearly negatively sloped output voltage vs. usage curve? Which means that 1.5 V battery you use starts out delivering a little more than that and ends up way below it?

Anyways, you won't hurt anything trying the 1.2 V batteries. I suspect they will work fine.

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
It's not just MP3s, PDAs, cell phones, vibrators ... :smile: . Almost everything you use these days are battery run.

NiMH batteries do not have the so-called "memory effect" that NiCd batteries have. NiMH has a "flatter" performance curve. In "flat" I mean that the NiMH battery discharges more constant over a certain period of use compared to non-rechargeables. Take for example an alkaline battery. Start using it and it's strong for say the first 1/3 of its life and then it starts degrading geometrically. Not so with NiMH.

A note on chargers. Invest on a good charger otherwise you'll be buying rechargeables as often as non-rechargeables and that's the point of rechargeables isn't it?

Look <A HREF="http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha-educate-batteries.htm" target="_new">here</A> for more information. The strongest AA batteries being produced at this time are 2600mAh I believe. You have to get a charger that can handle the job. They're not cheap but worth the money in the long run.

I just bought an Ansmann 6 Pack charger that has a micro-controller. It charges AA batteries with capacities from 500 - 2600 mAh and AAA batteries from 180 - 1000 mAh. It's equipped with a discharge button, auto switch for fast to trickle charge and it has auto-sensing; this means I can charge/discharge NiCds and NiMH at the same time. I don't even have to charge them at the same time. Each charging bank knows when and what I put into that bank. This thing cost me 67.21Euros

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=23810" target="_new"><font color=blue>My System </font color=blue></A>
<b><font color=blue>VAGABOND<font color=blue></b>

<b><font color=blue>Just horsing around!!!<font color=blue></b>