mn-100 losing network connection

I just installed the MM-100 wired box on my home office
network replacing a simple hub. The installation went
great.. all 3 comptuters are up on the internet (cable
modem) and accesing my Windows 2003 server. HOWEVER, the
base station, which is my main development machine, loses
it's access to the server mapped drives periodically.
There seems to be no pattern. Sometimes it works for
hours sometimes less but it will ALWAYS eventually lose
the connnection, locking open applications and causing me
to have to reboot. The other machine, even while
rebooting my base station still have access to the
network server and internet with no problem. If I don't
find a solution soon I will have to dump this system and
go with another.
9 answers Last reply
More about losing network connection

    David,
    Could you describe how you have things connected? Does the cable modem
    plug into the WAN port on your Wired Base Station? Are you using Internet
    Connection Sharing on your development workstation?
    --
    Matt Clapham
    Microsoft Corporation

    "David Farrell-Garcia" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:fc0401c43e7a$52f09fd0$a401280a@phx.gbl...

    Matt Clapham [MSFT] wrote:

    > David,
    > Could you describe how you have things connected? Does the cable
    > modem plug into the WAN port on your Wired Base Station? Are you
    > using Internet Connection Sharing on your development workstation?

    Thanks for the response. Before installing the mn-100 I had a 5 port
    hub installed. All was working perfect. Then I installed the mn-100
    when I got my Internet cable. So now I have the cable modem plugged
    into the cable modem port and the Windows 2003 Server and two
    workstations plugged into the other ports. It works just perfect...
    for a few hours.. or even a full day, but it will always fail within a
    few hours or overnight. What I lose is the LAN connection on my base
    station. The other workstation can still access the server just fine
    and the base station can still access the internet.. It is just the
    server drives from the base station that I lose. A reboot always puts
    it back, but it is becomeing very annoying since the base station is my
    development machine. Thanks for your help.

    No, I do not have Internet Connection Sharing on my development machine
    as far as I know.. At least I never explicitly did that.

    --
    David Farrell-Garcia
    Whidbey Island Software LLC

    Posted with XanaNews 1.16.3.1

    Have you updated the MN-100 to the latest firmware? You can the software
    update from
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/15_Downloads.aspx
    --
    Matt Clapham
    Microsoft Corporation

    Matt Clapham [MSFT] wrote:

    > Have you updated the MN-100 to the latest firmware? You can the
    > software update from
    > http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/15_Downloads.asp

    Yes, I did that right after installing the software and have it set to
    notify me of updates.

    --
    David Farrell-Garcia
    Whidbey Island Software LLC

    Posted with XanaNews 1.16.3.1

    Does your internet connection use PPPoE (i.e. does it require a username and
    password configured on the router)?
    --

    > Matt Clapham [MSFT] wrote:
    >
    > > Have you updated the MN-100 to the latest firmware? You can the
    > > software update from
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/15_Downloads.asp
    >
    > Yes, I did that right after installing the software and have it set to
    > notify me of updates.
    >

    > --
    > David Farrell-Garcia
    > Whidbey Island Software LLC
    >
    > Posted with XanaNews 1.16.3.1

    two things to try
    1. set the client lease time on the 100 to two weeks
    2. give the computers a static IP

    On Thu, 20 May 2004 07:54:17 -0700, "David Farrell-Garcia"

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Matt Clapham [MSFT] wrote:

    > Does your internet connection use PPPoE (i.e. does it require a
    > username and password configured on the router)?

    Not sure. I have Comcast which was just installed before I got the MN
    100. I do know that before I installed the MN 100 my LAN was working
    fine, although I had internet access only from my machine that was
    hooked directly to the cable modem.

    Something else odd that may give you a clue: When I say I lose my
    network connection to the LAN from my development machine I must say,
    not in the usual sense. Normally when you lose a Lan connection the
    mapped drives just become disabled, but now, when it loses the
    connection, and I click on MyComputer to view the drives the drive
    icons never refresh so I just get a locked window that I have to end
    the task on. I can still do any non-network related tasks on the
    machine. If I open up the Network Broadband utilty it still shows the
    Server and other workstation on the list of connected network devices.
    Very frustrating.

    If I plug the old hub back in ... all works well.

    --
    David Farrell-Garcia
    Whidbey Island Software LLC

    Posted with XanaNews 1.16.3.1
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows] wrote:

    > two things to try
    > 1. set the client lease time on the 100 to two weeks

    I tried that and was really hopeful but alas it did not make a
    difference

    > 2. give the computers a static IP

    I have not tried this but am willing to if you think it would help, but
    how does that explain that the other machines have no problem?

    --
    David Farrell-Garcia
    Whidbey Island Software LLC

    Posted with XanaNews 1.16.3.1
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    setting static would rule out a issue obtaining an IP via DHCP...

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

Routers Network Connection Servers Networking