Fate 1.20 patch.

Travis released another update for Fate. The new version is 1.20, and the
patch can be downloaded here:

http://download.wildgames.com/wildgames/fate-patch-120.exe (2.9 MB)

Changes:

- Monsters no longer skip over your summoned creatures to immediately
attack you instead

- Elemental damage on weapons now responds properly to elemental
resistances

- Dervish and Haste are now mutually exclusive due to the nature of their
effects - each one cancels the other

- Frostrind won't appear so much

- Improved loading times on many machines!

Michael Vondung wrote:
> Travis released another update for Fate. The new version is 1.20, and
> the patch can be downloaded here:
>
> http://download.wildgames.com/wildgames/fate-patch-120.exe (2.9 MB)
>
> Changes:
>
> - Monsters no longer skip over your summoned creatures to immediately
> attack you instead
>
> - Elemental damage on weapons now responds properly to elemental
> resistances
>
> - Dervish and Haste are now mutually exclusive due to the nature of
> their effects - each one cancels the other
>
> - Frostrind won't appear so much
>
> - Improved loading times on many machines!

It'd be nice if he could do something to improve the cumbersome spellcasting
interface. Trying to play a caster in this game is a real bitch, unless I'm
missing something obvious, which is pretty likely. :)

--
chainbreaker

chainbreaker wrote:
> Michael Vondung wrote:
>
>>Travis released another update for Fate. The new version is 1.20, and
>>the patch can be downloaded here:
>>
>>http://download.wildgames.com/wildgames/fate-patch-120.exe (2.9 MB)
>>
>>Changes:
>>
>>- Monsters no longer skip over your summoned creatures to immediately
>>attack you instead
>>
>>- Elemental damage on weapons now responds properly to elemental
>>resistances
>>
>>- Dervish and Haste are now mutually exclusive due to the nature of
>>their effects - each one cancels the other
>>
>>- Frostrind won't appear so much
>>
>>- Improved loading times on many machines!
>

> It'd be nice if he could do something to improve the cumbersome spellcasting
> interface. Trying to play a caster in this game is a real bitch, unless I'm
> missing something obvious, which is pretty likely. :)

Spellcasting is actually kinda fun once you map out all the spells you
need to the F keys.
Some people get confused about how to do that. You need to click on
the 'default spell' icon in the lower right screen to bring up the list
of spells to assign F keys, ... not the regular spell list.
Just hover over the spell you want, and click an F key.

nostromo

Thus spake Scott Trebble <Scott.Trebble@shaw.ca>, Sat, 09 Jul 2005 13:01:56
GMT, Anno Domini:

>chainbreaker wrote:
>> Michael Vondung wrote:
>>
>>>Travis released another update for Fate. The new version is 1.20, and
>>>the patch can be downloaded here:
>>>
>>>http://download.wildgames.com/wildgames/fate-patch-120.exe (2.9 MB)
>>>
>>>Changes:
>>>
>>>- Monsters no longer skip over your summoned creatures to immediately
>>>attack you instead
>>>
>>>- Elemental damage on weapons now responds properly to elemental
>>>resistances
>>>
>>>- Dervish and Haste are now mutually exclusive due to the nature of
>>>their effects - each one cancels the other
>>>
>>>- Frostrind won't appear so much
>>>
>>>- Improved loading times on many machines!
>>

>> It'd be nice if he could do something to improve the cumbersome spellcasting
>> interface. Trying to play a caster in this game is a real bitch, unless I'm
>> missing something obvious, which is pretty likely. :)
>>

>Spellcasting is actually kinda fun once you map out all the spells you
>need to the F keys.
>Some people get confused about how to do that. You need to click on
>the 'default spell' icon in the lower right screen to bring up the list
>of spells to assign F keys, ... not the regular spell list.
>Just hover over the spell you want, and click an F key.

I'm tippin CB knows that already...and it's still cumbersome :)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 01:03:23 +1000, Nostromo wrote:

> I'm tippin CB knows that already...and it's still cumbersome :)

I agree. Would be nice to be able to remap the hotkeys. F-keys aren't the
most accessible keys on my keyboard.

M.

Nostromo wrote:
> I'm tippin CB knows that already...and it's still cumbersome :)

Yeah. Of course, you can "make do" the way it is, but it'd be nice to be
able to quickly use the best-suited spell for a situation instead of just
saying "eff-it" and forego fumbling around on the keyboard. And while I'm
complaining, spells ought to recast without having to keep reclicking, and
spell targets should *stay* targeted. It's way too easy to lose track the
way this game is set up. I don't mind a bigger challenge with spellcasters,
but that should be something inherent to their skills/abilities rather than
a convoluted interface.

Nevertheless, for twenty bucks it's a nice little game so I'm not
complaining too loudly.

--
chainbreaker

Michael Vondung wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 01:03:23 +1000, Nostromo wrote:
>
>> I'm tippin CB knows that already...and it's still cumbersome :)
>
> I agree. Would be nice to be able to remap the hotkeys. F-keys aren't
> the most accessible keys on my keyboard.
>
> M.

Yep, being able to roll through the F-keys with the mouse wheel like another
game I've played a little bit would be perfect. :)

Locking the map to the wheel is a real waste, since most people probably
just zoom the map all the way out and leave it there anyway, I'm guessing.

--
chainbreaker

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 14:45:00 -0400, chainbreaker wrote:

> Nevertheless, for twenty bucks it's a nice little game so I'm not
> complaining too loudly.

I still think that WT and Travis were quite surprised that the game
appealed to hardcore gamers. It seems targeted at the technically innocent
crowd that would usually play Flash games, not "real" games. I'm also under
the impression that Travis only had relatively little time to finish the
game, with the help of just a handful of people. There's a good chance that
Fate 2 will be significantly more complex.

Personally, I'd like to see a skill tree like in D2, non-combat skills such
as fishing (no skill needed in Fate) and alchemy (to make potions) and
possibly weapon/armour duration/wear&tear. A few more complex quests,
perhaps some "puzzles" and some permanent areas (an underground city, for
example), and Fate 2 could become a classic. Oh, and multiplayer, of
course, though I doubt that WT is capable of running a secure service like
battle.net. I mean, "secure", the quotation marks are crucial here! ;) You
remember the Ascaron/Sacred fiasco (it seems to work now, though).

And I agree, Fate is quite a nice game, and I have already gotten more
entertainment out of it than from various $50 games that I bought in the
past year. In some way it shows that a few basic gameplay features and
simplicity can be quite sufficient to attract players. (In spite of the
horrible toons that Fate features.)

M.

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 14:37:03 -0400, chainbreaker wrote:

> Yep, being able to roll through the F-keys with the mouse wheel like another
> game I've played a little bit would be perfect. :)

You use the wheel? :) In D2, I usually just remapped the spell keys to the
QWERT, ASDFG keys, so that I could keep one hand on the mouse and the other
on the keyboard. My F-keys are relatively small (damn those
Windows-specific keyboards, but I refuse to shell out $50 for something
that will get spilled with coffee after some time anyway!), so playing a
spellcaster in Fate is a little tedious. I'm currently fuzzing around with
an archer, but without some magic this isn't going to go well. Charm magic
seems to be the way to go with the 1.20 changes.

M.

Michael Vondung wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 14:45:00 -0400, chainbreaker wrote:
>
>> Nevertheless, for twenty bucks it's a nice little game so I'm not
>> complaining too loudly.
>
> I still think that WT and Travis were quite surprised that the game
> appealed to hardcore gamers. It seems targeted at the technically
> innocent crowd that would usually play Flash games, not "real" games.

I'm sure there's a lesson here somewhere, I'm just not quite sure what it is
exactly.

--
chainbreaker

Michael Vondung wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 14:37:03 -0400, chainbreaker wrote:
>
>> Yep, being able to roll through the F-keys with the mouse wheel like
>> another game I've played a little bit would be perfect. :)
>
> You use the wheel? :)

Yep. You'd be amazed at how quickly you can learn how to place the "roll".
:) Since mouse wheels now have detents, it's really easy and quick to
learn various spacings, especially with a bit of visual backup. And of
course, you'll usually only really use 4-5 most of the time anyway, but
there's always room for more if you need them.

Heh, I'm somewhat surprised you evidently *don't* use the wheel like this.
:)

--
chainbreaker

nostromo

Thus spake "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com>, Sat, 9 Jul 2005 18:54:01
-0400, Anno Domini:

>Michael Vondung wrote:
>> On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 14:37:03 -0400, chainbreaker wrote:
>>
>>> Yep, being able to roll through the F-keys with the mouse wheel like
>>> another game I've played a little bit would be perfect. :)
>>
>> You use the wheel? :)
>
>Yep. You'd be amazed at how quickly you can learn how to place the "roll".
>:) Since mouse wheels now have detents, it's really easy and quick to
>learn various spacings, especially with a bit of visual backup. And of
>course, you'll usually only really use 4-5 most of the time anyway, but
>there's always room for more if you need them.
>
>Heh, I'm somewhat surprised you evidently *don't* use the wheel like this.
>:)

Yeah, D2 was great for the wheel - I used the QWERASDFZXC cluster for my
necro, but with the number of spells he needed I still had to map some of
them so that I could roll the wheel 1 up or down to get to the final spell
needed.

--
A killfile is a friend for life.