M-Audio Revolution

AudiophileDenial

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2003
Hey guys I’ve set out on the quest to find the ultimate card for my situation. I’m running a 7.1 THX approved setup in my house and on board audio just isn’t cutting the mustard!! Any who... I was looking for the longest time at the Audigy 2 Platinum EX, but it is rather expensive, has lots of stuff I don’t need and the stuff I do need is in the wrong spot (the front not the back). Basically I use the computer for gaming and listening to MP3's but also a little PVR.

I have followed M-Audio as a company for many years (well 1 year anyway) as a recording solution. There cards are often amazing and are most defiantly of the highest quality for recoding. In my quest as listed above I've found that the M-Audio Revolution has all the bells and whistles I need. The Revolutions 7.1 Pre out kills the Audigy 2's 6.1 (especially when you have to find a 4 conductor mini-plug to get 6.1). It also has a full size digital S/PDIF out on the back. It also beats the Audigy 2 in S/N Ratio at 107db.

I am not sure yet on DVD-A support for the card. It does however support EAX3 (EAX HD).

Has anyone else stumbled across this card, scene reviews, heard good or bad about the consumer side of the company?

Thanks allot for all your opinions and if you can suggest a really high end sound card with similar features (price range not really relevant) please post it!!

Thanks so much

Steve

PS. Yes I have read below thread by mattburklund!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AudiophileDenial on 02/11/03 10:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Zalkryn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
I also saw this card as I'm looking for a card that will do true 5.1. It seemed audigy was the only one as EAX 3.0 is only thing that reproduces true 5.1(other than onboard Nforce chip on MB's). But couldnt find out if Revolution had EAX 3.0.

Now that you have confirmed this I think that is the card for me. I also am getting into recording, so good to know from you that this card is great for recording. :)

Thanks

Pentium 4 2g
Asus P4T-E MB
512 PC800 Rambus
Gforce 4 4200 ti 64mb
Linksys 10/100 network card
SB Live 5.1

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
See my response to your other post. Again, EAX in any version doesn't have anything to do with true or virtual 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, etc. surround. Almost any consumer sound card produced these days support 5.1 output if you have the right speakers.

Also, Revolution 7.1 has no support for EAX 3.0 and the chip on it (ICEnsemble or VIA Envy 24) doesn't do hardware acceleration for EAX or any other kind of 3D sound API. These are done in software. This doesn't necessarily mean the effects will be done poorly or bad but it certainly makes your CPU work harder to do the necessary calculations itself and in games, that normally means lower frame rates or slowdowns.

And, this card is not primarily built for recording (Check the M-Audio Delta series for that). It's meant more or less as a high-quality preamp for your HTPC.

Defective

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2002
I also have been looking at the M-Audio cards. Considering they offer some regular consumer cards I am supprised to find 0 reviews. I talked to a friend of mine who said he owned one of their sound cards and he liked it. I just want to see more reviews. I dont really care about EAX 3.0. I am looking for nice clear quality sound and a stable driver platform.

---------------

Stupidity should be painful.

jheine

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
Most of the reviews on M-Audio cards are for their high end cards. Their larger focus has been the studio/home recording market for years, and I've seen good reviews on their cards in mags like Electronic Musician. The new card is really their first major card geared for the mass consumer, so it's slim pickins on the info. I think I remember someone posted a link for a review here before for that card. Try searching for it.

Jarrett

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new"><b><font color=red>Join The THGC Music Project</font color=red></b></A>