Gothic II

I need some help. I can't figure out how to cast spells in Gothic II. My
player is not a spell caster but the manual says any player can cast spells
from books or tomes. The game acts like I can cast spells, but in the end
nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

--
from the home of
Brand Bogard

"Brand Bogard" <bbogard1@san.rr.com> wrote in message
> I need some help. I can't figure out how to cast spells in Gothic II. My
> player is not a spell caster but the manual says any player can cast
spells
> from books or tomes. The game acts like I can cast spells, but in the end
> nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

You can cast spells from runes or scrolls.

To cast a spell you need to go into inventory and equip the rune or scroll
like you would a weapon (highlight it and hit the action key or left mouse
button)

This will assign a number to the spell (you can assign numbers 4 through 0
to spells) the same way that your melee weapon is assigned 1 and bow/xbow is
assigned 2.

To cast a spell you need the appropriate amount of mana (you can see the
mana required by selecting it in your inventory... to see how much mana you
have press the 'C' key to view your character's stats)

To cast the spell you need to "equip" it much like you do your weapon in
combat... except instead of pressing '1' to draw your sword you press '4' or
'5' or whatever the spell is assigned to. When ready you will see magical
effect (ie: a ball of fire in your hand) to denote that the spell is 'ready'
(like how you have your sword drawn when your sword is ready)

To actually cast the spell... once you have it equiped target the
person/monster/critter and press and hold the left mouse button down(just
like you would if you were going to shoot them with a bow). To actually
attack with the spell press the forward movement key (by default this would
be your 'W' key) just like you would when attacking with a bow or crossbow.

NOTE: some spells can be 'charged up' like "Wind Fist" (see manual for list
of spells that can be charged up). For these spells the longer you hold the
forward movement key (the 'W' key) the more mana you put into the spell.
When fully charged or (or at your limit of mana or when you've put in an
amount you are satisfied) release the forward direction key (the 'W' key)
and the spell will go.

Basically spells work alot like bows do... you can rapidly press the forward
direction key (the 'W' key) and fire off spells in rapid succession if you
have enough mana.

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"Auggie" <Imperial.Palace@Rome.com> wrote in message

> "Brand Bogard" <bbogard1@san.rr.com> wrote in message
>> I need some help. I can't figure out how to cast spells in Gothic II.
>> My
>> player is not a spell caster but the manual says any player can cast
> spells
>> from books or tomes. The game acts like I can cast spells, but in the
>> end
>> nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?
>>

> You can cast spells from runes or scrolls.
>
> To cast a spell you need to go into inventory and equip the rune or scroll
> like you would a weapon (highlight it and hit the action key or left mouse
> button)
>
> This will assign a number to the spell (you can assign numbers 4 through 0
> to spells) the same way that your melee weapon is assigned 1 and bow/xbow
> is
> assigned 2.
>
> To cast a spell you need the appropriate amount of mana (you can see the
> mana required by selecting it in your inventory... to see how much mana
> you
> have press the 'C' key to view your character's stats)
>
> To cast the spell you need to "equip" it much like you do your weapon in
> combat... except instead of pressing '1' to draw your sword you press '4'
> or
> '5' or whatever the spell is assigned to. When ready you will see magical
> effect (ie: a ball of fire in your hand) to denote that the spell is
> 'ready'
> (like how you have your sword drawn when your sword is ready)
>
> To actually cast the spell... once you have it equiped target the
> person/monster/critter and press and hold the left mouse button down(just
> like you would if you were going to shoot them with a bow). To actually
> attack with the spell press the forward movement key (by default this
> would
> be your 'W' key) just like you would when attacking with a bow or
> crossbow.
>
> NOTE: some spells can be 'charged up' like "Wind Fist" (see manual for
> list
> of spells that can be charged up). For these spells the longer you hold
> the
> forward movement key (the 'W' key) the more mana you put into the spell.
> When fully charged or (or at your limit of mana or when you've put in an
> amount you are satisfied) release the forward direction key (the 'W' key)
> and the spell will go.
>
> Basically spells work alot like bows do... you can rapidly press the
> forward
> direction key (the 'W' key) and fire off spells in rapid succession if you
> have enough mana.

sounds like a flippin complicated way to launch a spell - why doesnt it just
work off the LMB ?

"Sleepy" <bpespleyremovetheobvious@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> [...]
> > crossbow.
> >
> > NOTE: some spells can be 'charged up' like "Wind Fist" (see manual for
> > list
> > of spells that can be charged up). For these spells the longer you hold
> > the
> > forward movement key (the 'W' key) the more mana you put into the spell.
> > When fully charged or (or at your limit of mana or when you've put in an
> > amount you are satisfied) release the forward direction key (the 'W'
key)
> > and the spell will go.
> >
> > Basically spells work alot like bows do... you can rapidly press the
> > forward
> > direction key (the 'W' key) and fire off spells in rapid succession if
you
> > have enough mana.
>
> sounds like a flippin complicated way to launch a spell - why doesnt it

It sounds complex but works pretty much the way all combat in Gothic 2
works.

With a sword you hold the mouse button down after targetting a foe and press
the forward, left or right movement keys to execute different attacks.
Different combinations of movement keys will execute different/specialty
attacks.

WIth a bow you hold the mouse button down after targetting a foe and press
the forward movement key to fire an arrow

With a spell you hold the mouse button down after targetting a foe and press
the forward button to use the spell... with the difference being that spells
that can be "charged" you hold the forward button down until you've put
enough mana into the spell (either the spell is at its max or you are
satisfied with the amount of mana put into the spell)

nostromo

Thus spake "Sleepy" <bpespleyremovetheobvious@blueyonder.co.uk>, Mon, 11 Jul
2005 08:08:22 GMT, Anno Domini:

>"Auggie" <Imperial.Palace@Rome.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Brand Bogard" <bbogard1@san.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> I need some help. I can't figure out how to cast spells in Gothic II.
>>> My
>>> player is not a spell caster but the manual says any player can cast
>> spells
>>> from books or tomes. The game acts like I can cast spells, but in the
>>> end
>>> nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?
>>>

>> You can cast spells from runes or scrolls.
>>
>> To cast a spell you need to go into inventory and equip the rune or scroll
>> like you would a weapon (highlight it and hit the action key or left mouse
>> button)
>>
>> This will assign a number to the spell (you can assign numbers 4 through 0
>> to spells) the same way that your melee weapon is assigned 1 and bow/xbow
>> is
>> assigned 2.
>>
>> To cast a spell you need the appropriate amount of mana (you can see the
>> mana required by selecting it in your inventory... to see how much mana
>> you
>> have press the 'C' key to view your character's stats)
>>
>> To cast the spell you need to "equip" it much like you do your weapon in
>> combat... except instead of pressing '1' to draw your sword you press '4'
>> or
>> '5' or whatever the spell is assigned to. When ready you will see magical
>> effect (ie: a ball of fire in your hand) to denote that the spell is
>> 'ready'
>> (like how you have your sword drawn when your sword is ready)
>>
>> To actually cast the spell... once you have it equiped target the
>> person/monster/critter and press and hold the left mouse button down(just
>> like you would if you were going to shoot them with a bow). To actually
>> attack with the spell press the forward movement key (by default this
>> would
>> be your 'W' key) just like you would when attacking with a bow or
>> crossbow.
>>
>> NOTE: some spells can be 'charged up' like "Wind Fist" (see manual for
>> list
>> of spells that can be charged up). For these spells the longer you hold
>> the
>> forward movement key (the 'W' key) the more mana you put into the spell.
>> When fully charged or (or at your limit of mana or when you've put in an
>> amount you are satisfied) release the forward direction key (the 'W' key)
>> and the spell will go.
>>
>> Basically spells work alot like bows do... you can rapidly press the
>> forward
>> direction key (the 'W' key) and fire off spells in rapid succession if you
>> have enough mana.
>
>sounds like a flippin complicated way to launch a spell - why doesnt it just
>work off the LMB ?

He told you - because then you couldn't execute the 'charge up' spells,
though I reckon it would've been easier to have you *hold* the LMB to charge
up & release when ready.

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

TRENDING THREADS