Problem with Two Gateways

welcometohavoc

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Hi guys. So, I'm using my laptop running on XP to share it's wireless internet connection with my main pc which runs on 7, connected over LAN through a router. The problem is, whenever the LAN is connected, I can't connect to the internet. I have to disable the LAN for it to work, but I need the LAN to connect my laptop to my main PC. I'm guessing it's a gateway conflict, but I was hoping someone could help me resolve the issue.

Thanks

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Depends how you are sharing. ICS is designed to solve the problem of the gateway conflict. If you are trying some manual method you need to make sure have removed the gateway from the settings on the LAN port. You can also remove and/or change the default route with the ROUTE command.

Now some laptops are too smart for their own good. They disable the wireless hardware when you plug in ethernet. You should be able to change that in a bios setting.

RealBeast

Titan
Windows ICS sets up its own ad hoc network and doesn't play well with a router controlled network. How exactly are you configured? The laptop has a wireless connection from what, a 4G device? or from a nearby network on its internal wireless adapter? And how does the laptop connect to the LAN, with an Ethernet connection (or if using 4G for Internet does the laptop connect with its wireless adapter to the LAN)?

You might be better off disabling ICS and instead bridging the two networks on the laptop. That will work between two networks of pretty much any type as bridging does not set up its own network like ICS.

To do that you need to use two adapters on the laptop -- one that provides Internet access and the second a laptop wireless or wired connection to the LAN. You can then open your network adapter control panel on the laptop, highlight both adapters and right click, select bridge connection. ICS must be off to bridge the adapters.