Windows Aero problem

G

Hello there,

I am having some problems with my laptop. For awhile, my computer used to take up to a few minutes to shut down. Boot up was normal, but when I logged into my account, after the Welcome screen disapperaed, there would be a blank black screen with just the mouse which would remain for a couple of minutes. Then my dekstop would slowly load and all the icons would start to appear. At random times, my hard disk would also make noises. Then about a month ago, all this stopped. Shut down and log in happened at normal speed, there was no black screen at logon. But Windows Aero stopped working, and it doesn't allow me to select any Aero themes. Aero troubleshooting doesn't help the issue, and I have an original Windows CD in which the recovery options don't help me. I haven't tried re-installing Windows. Has anyone had a similiar issue, or does anyone know any solutions?

~Thanks

My laptop config:
Manufacturer: Acer
Model: 6930G
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2 Ghz
RAM: 4 GB DDR2
VGA: NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS
320 GB HDD

G

Yup, sounds like some important files became corrupt. Hopefully you had your files backed up so you can do a full restore and make things normal again.

G

Do you think a system restore will help? If so, could you tell me what exactly does the restore keep and erase (files, programs) because I've never really run one before.