Corsair Memory Problem?

jfinnivan

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
I have the ASUS A7N8X deluxe MB with an Athlon XP 2700+ and 2 512MB Corsair TwinX1024-3200LLPT XMS memory modules. The memory is installed in the two blue memory sockets. I installed WinXP pro and things were going fine for a while, until I started getting occasional blue screens. I searched the boards for answers, and after reading some suggestions, I set my AGP speed from Auto to 66Mhz, and set my BIOS setting from Optimal to Aggressive. I also downloaded a few new drivers, and my problems seemed to go away. I wanted to find out what the problem was, so I ran memtest86 on my system. With the BIOS set to Aggressive, the memory is run at 166Mhz, which is synchronous with the CPU. The memory test ran fine, no errors. I then changed the BIOS to Optimal, which runs the memory at 200Mhz. The memory test failed after a few minutes. Unless something strange is going on with the MB, it seems like the memory is flakey at DDR400 speeds. This is brand new memory that I got with a MB, CPU, Memory bundle from Monarch Computers. Any thoughts?? Is my memory bad?
The other issue is for curiosity. The memtest86 program displayed the memory access speed at 1211 MB/s at 166Mhz, and 1266 MB/s at 200 Mhz. I thought it would be faster than this, especially in dual-channel mode...

Thanks for any help,
Joe

ThorH

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2003
You need to submit this problem to Corsair's Forum, they have people who are paid to just fix memory problems. If they do tell you that your memory is bad, they are very quick about replacing memory.