What's the catch with The Guitar Center's sale?

Last response: in Home Audio
January 21, 2005 7:00:46 AM

The Guitar Center is having this amazing sale up until January 31st. What I
want to know is why? What' the catch?
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 7:00:47 AM

song writer wrote:
> The Guitar Center is having this amazing sale up until January 31st. What I
> want to know is why? What' the catch?

Hahahaha.

Hurry, sale ends soon!
January 21, 2005 7:00:47 AM

song writer wrote:

> The Guitar Center is having this amazing sale up until January 31st. What I
> want to know is why? What' the catch?

What's so amazing about the sale? And what make you think there's a
catch? Are the prices just unusually low?

--
Eric

www.Raw-Tracks.com
January 21, 2005 7:00:47 AM

There is a furniture store near my house that's had this incredible "GOING
OUT OF BUSINESS SALE!!!" for like 5 years....I still haven't figured out the
catch!

--

Jonny Durango

"Patrick was a saint. I ain't."

http://www.jdurango.com

"song writer" <iwritesongs@verizon.net> wrote in message
> The Guitar Center is having this amazing sale up until January 31st. What
> want to know is why? What' the catch?

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 7:00:47 AM

They are reducing inventory before tax time. Most retailers blow
stuff out this time of year.

Al

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 04:00:46 GMT, song writer
<iwritesongs@verizon.net> wrote:

>The Guitar Center is having this amazing sale up until January 31st. What I
>want to know is why? What' the catch?
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 8:04:03 AM

song writer wrote:

> What' the catch?

22

--
ha
Anonymous

song writer wrote:
> The Guitar Center is having this amazing sale up until January 31st.
What I
> want to know is why? What' the catch?

Guitar Center at one time used to have good sales. I went in there.
Nothing really on sale. Just junk. They also have pretty much
eliminated their 30 day return policy. You read the fine print almost
everything is excluded except guitar pics.
Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 11:57:57 AM

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 04:00:46 GMT, song writer
<iwritesongs@verizon.net> wrote:

>The Guitar Center is having this amazing sale up until January 31st. What I
>want to know is why? What' the catch?

Hey look, the Mutant's friend. (co-conspiritors) are ALSO having a
HUGE SALE, having dropped their catalog prices again. Some kind of
final monopoly game push before the Last Man Standing has TOTAL MARKET
DOMINANCE!! Not just in your neighborhood, song writer, but ALL OVER
ZA VAAUULD! Then your anus will feel the TOTAL MARKET PENETRATION as
you pay $25 for guitar strings, etc.
Pay a buck more and keep the competition alive a few more years, I
say.
Slime marches on,..
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 12:34:33 PM

play_on wrote:
> They are reducing inventory before tax time. Most retailers blow
> stuff out this time of year.

Guitar Center never blows anything out. The "sale" prices last 365 days
a year. Just ask for them.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 12:47:31 PM

I pretty much get the lowest price on everything when I shop at GS. My
last purchase was a Lynx L22. My "go to" sales guy gave me a price
lower than I'd seen anywhere, without me asking for it. Trust me, if
GS can afford to buy Eric Clapton's vintage guitars at auction, they
have have plenty of money. Squeeze them for every penny, they can
afford it!!

DaveT
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 1:25:56 PM

"play_on" <playon@comcast.net> wrote in message news:r0j1v0hjiothl9ulrad9rebmcn4a688sm4@4ax.com...

> They are reducing inventory before tax time. Most retailers blow
> stuff out this time of year.

My mother taught me a long time ago... Do your Christmas shopping
for next year, right after Christmas this year. I guess it still applies.
January 21, 2005 3:21:04 PM

Jonny Durango wrote:

> There is a furniture store near my house that's had this incredible "GOING
> OUT OF BUSINESS SALE!!!" for like 5 years....I still haven't figured out the
> catch!

Around here, that's illegal (false advertising)
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 4:18:40 PM

What was such a great deal ? [ always be prepared to walk away ! ]

regards gkb

"song writer" <iwritesongs@verizon.net> wrote in message
> The Guitar Center is having this amazing sale up until January 31st. What
> want to know is why? What' the catch?

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 7:16:31 PM

song writer wrote:
> The Guitar Center is having this amazing sale up until January 31st. What I
> want to know is why? What' the catch?

GC have sales all the time ... it's worth having a look and talking to
the staff as - if you haggle - you can usually lower the price some
more ;-)
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 1:55:20 AM

>The Guitar Center is having this amazing sale up until January 31st. What I
>want to know is why? What' the catch?

I bought cabling listed for $540 for $110..no catch..they have to dump store
stock.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 5:57:25 AM

On 1/20/05 11:14 PM, in article 35bdsaF4jg31sU1@individual.net, "Joe Sensor"
<crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote:

> song writer wrote:
>> The Guitar Center is having this amazing sale up until January 31st. What I
>> want to know is why? What' the catch?
>>

> Hahahaha.
>
> Hurry, sale ends soon!

LOL! Don't get my wrong. I don¹t' work for the Guitar Center. I was just
wondering why they had such a big sale. Could it be the next generation of
high quality audio equipment is coming out?
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 5:57:26 AM

> Then you get stuff like I just found in a Full Compass specials flyer -
> an Apple DVC to ADC adapter, list $99, on "SALE!!!!" for only $98.90.
> Only Ben Franklin would be impressed.

PT Barnum would be more impressed.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 5:57:26 AM

song writer wrote:

> LOL! Don't get my wrong. I don¹t' work for the Guitar Center. I was just
> wondering why they had such a big sale. Could it be the next generation of
> high quality audio equipment is coming out?

Guitar center has a big sale for Christmas, for Valentines day, for
rocktober, to celebrate Fender, to celebrate Gibson, to celebrate their
anniversary, for 4th of July, etc., etc., etc.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 9:44:18 AM

hank alrich wrote:

> Then you get stuff like I just found in a Full Compass specials flyer -
> an Apple DVC to ADC adapter, list $99, on "SALE!!!!" for only $98.90.
> Only Ben Franklin would be impressed.

Sounds like someone higher up said "Take 10 percent off of that item",
and the underling lost track of the "per".
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 12:30:56 PM

> song writer wrote:
>
>> LOL! Don't get my wrong. I don't' work for the Guitar Center. I was just
>> wondering why they had such a big sale. Could it be the next generation
>> of
>> high quality audio equipment is coming out?
>
> No, it's because at the end of every company's fiscal year they must
> take inventory so they can then prepare financial statments and
> importantly, tax returns.

True enough but fiscal and calendar years are not the same animal. Model
years and associated price changes however, typically do stay in sync with
the calendar year and are the most likely reason for the January sales.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 8:12:14 PM

On 21 Jan 2005 22:55:20 GMT, Blind Joni <blindjoni@aol.com> wrote:
>>The Guitar Center is having this amazing sale up until January 31st. What I
>>want to know is why? What' the catch?
>
> I bought cabling listed for $540 for $110..no catch..they have to dump store
> stock.

Inventory Season.

Retailers usually do inventory at the end of January. Makes sense for
them because it's after their Big Season (Christmas) and before their
Next big season (February birthdays and Valentines day) (Why do you
suppose February is such a big month for birthdays in the West hmmm?)

Everything they inventory they have to pay taxes on at the end of their
fiscal year (1/31, generally) so they try to dump as much as possible of
it during January.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 8:12:15 PM

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:12:14 GMT, Charles Krug
<cdkrug@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Why do you suppose February is such a big month for birthdays in the West hmmm?

Mother's Day? ;-) (Father's Day is maybe too late in June for the
whole nine-month thing...)

jtougas

listen- there's a hell of a good universe next door
let's go

e.e. cummings
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 8:34:41 PM

"JoeT" wrote:

> True enough but fiscal and calendar years are not the same animal.

They don't have to be the same but the y certainly can be.

> Model years and associated price changes however, typically do stay in
> sync with the calendar year and are the most likely reason for the January
> sales.

The reason for the sale is that GC always has a really big sale going
on. I was around a GC more than I anticipated last summer, and in six
weeks there was no stopping the one big sale after another. People get
excited when they smell money, even if it's play money.

--
ha
Anonymous

> "JoeT" wrote:
>
>> True enough but fiscal and calendar years are not the same animal.
>
> They don't have to be the same but the y certainly can be.
>
>> Model years and associated price changes however, typically do stay in
>> sync with the calendar year and are the most likely reason for the
>> January
>> sales.
>
> The reason for the sale is that GC always has a really big sale going
> on. I was around a GC more than I anticipated last summer, and in six
> weeks there was no stopping the one big sale after another. People get
> excited when they smell money, even if it's play money.
>
> --
> ha

Any more, every retailer is always having a "Big Sale". I can remember when
The word "Sale" meant special pricing on given items. Now it's merely used
to imply that while simply being used in the classic sense that things are
indeed "for sale".. lol
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 1:56:51 AM

>Everything they inventory they have to pay taxes on at the end of their
>fiscal year (1/31, generally) so they try to dump as much as possible of
>it during January.

You don't pay taxes on inventory. You pay taxes on profits resulting from the
sale of inventory. When they purchase equipment and parts for resale, it is
put on the books as an inventory asset. When it's sold, the cost is subtracted
from the selling price, leaving profit and the cost is also removed from the
inventory asset register.

My business only has a small inventory of parts and finished goods (equipment)
(approx $500,000 net) and I've never been required to pay taxes on inventory.
I do pay personal property on fixed assets, but again, that does not include
inventory assets stocked for resale purposes.

Business 101.

--Wayne

-"sounded good to me"-
January 23, 2005 2:16:52 AM

> You don't pay taxes on inventory.

This is the case here in Michigan now.

Used to be there was an inventory tax here.

At the Fed level? I know not.

"Wayne" <ybstudios@aol.com> wrote in message news:20050122175651.08434.00000238@mb-m06.aol.com...
>Everything they inventory they have to pay taxes on at the end of their
>fiscal year (1/31, generally) so they try to dump as much as possible of
>it during January.

You don't pay taxes on inventory. You pay taxes on profits resulting from the
sale of inventory. When they purchase equipment and parts for resale, it is
put on the books as an inventory asset. When it's sold, the cost is subtracted
from the selling price, leaving profit and the cost is also removed from the
inventory asset register.

My business only has a small inventory of parts and finished goods (equipment)
(approx $500,000 net) and I've never been required to pay taxes on inventory.
I do pay personal property on fixed assets, but again, that does not include
inventory assets stocked for resale purposes.

Business 101.

--Wayne

-"sounded good to me"-
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 9:21:54 PM

> The reason for the sale is that GC always has a really big sale going
> on. I was around a GC more than I anticipated last summer, and in six
> weeks there was no stopping the one big sale after another. People get
> excited when they smell money, even if it's play money.

I've always found the first half-hour of the Labor Day Sale to be one of the
best sales GC has. Anything after the first half-hour, though, looks a lot like
any other GC weekly sale.

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 11:26:39 PM

In article <E9BId.12100$Vj3.637@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com> JesseJ2@LogicalArts-remove-to-reply.com writes:

> > You don't pay taxes on inventory.

> This is the case here in Michigan now.
> Used to be there was an inventory tax here.
> At the Fed level? I know not.

It's strictly a state thing. Some states have inventory tax, others
don't.

May 8, 2012 3:47:09 PM

The catch is that they exclude all or most major brands. My friend/ex-band mate Tim went to the big sale at the GC in GlenBurnie, MD. All that was truly discounted was a no name acoustic, some software, cables and mics. Thats it!! You have to read the fine print before you invest the time and gas to browse GC.
!