Linksys ea6500 networking question and switch inquiry

waz555

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
hello! good day

i plan to purchase 2 linksys ea6500 , i will make the 2nd one as access point to boost the signal on another part of the house, this will be my setup
r1 = router 1 ; r2 = router 2
isp modem to R1 ; r1->r2

a.will the usb ports at r2 be detected if connected via wifi network ( printer or usb hardrive connected to r2 usb)

b.pls suggest a good lan switch, preferably cisco or dlink ? 16 port is enough not more than 350 usd

thank you

dbhosttexas

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

On your inquiry of good LAN switch, I assume you want Gigabit. Not more than $350.00 USD.

You didn't mention managed, or unmanaged, but with 16 port density, managed really seems like overkill, so I am showing unamanged switches here...

Cisco / Linksys SG100-16-NA $166.00 (Amazon).

Nothing personal if you like D-Link, but I wouldn't wish that stuff on my ex wife or her family... I refuse to recommend their stuff. Just too trouble prone in my experience.

An excellent alternative, and the switch I am using , and liking very much, is the TrendNET TEG-S16Dg, $83.00 (Amazon), add $12.00 if you want the rack mount kit.

There are plenty of sticky threads in Networking here on setting up a master / slave router configuration. Yes the routers will work the way you are talking about. Modem to WAN port on router 1, one LAN port on router 1 to WAN port on router 2, and configure router 2 as a slave router. Just noodle around in here looking at the cascading router threads. As I recall the process is to turn off DHCP on router 2, set the WAN port to increment 1 over your first router, reserve that IP in your first router, and turn off NAT on your 2nd router. Basically all router 2 will be is an access point, and USB share server. Router 1 does DHCP, NAT, etc...

waz555

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
thank you for your input sir,