My phone was hijacked, or else Sprint switched it with som..

Last response: in Network Providers
April 27, 2004 4:41:45 PM

one night recently my sprint pcs cell phone was apparently somehow
mysteriously switched with someone else's.

either sprint themselves goofed up our two phone services in their
system, or else this other guy somehow hijacked my phone so he could
make international calls.

details: i received a call from a guy who spoke spanish, i thought
he'd dialed the wrong number. around the same time, my friend dialed
my number and got a guy who spoke spanish. i believe the guy who
called me likely dialed this other fellow's number yet got my phone.

for that whole evening, there are a bunch of calls on my bill to a
spanish speaking country that i did not make. a LOT of them, all night
long. a call that i know i made that night does NOT show up on my
bill, i'm betting it in turn shows up on HIS bill.

for the next few days my phone couldn't connect to the SPCS network at
all. i called support and it had to be re-activated - i.e. my phone
had somehow been de-activated, but more precisely, activated as this
*other* guy's phone.

has anyone ever heard of anything like this happening? what do people
think Sprint will say to this? i assume i should call exec services
first.

the bottom line is that this other person made hundreds of dollars in
calls to this spanish speaking country, and there's no way in hell i'm
paying for this.

thanks in advance!

(once, in what must have been a similar switcheroo, i called a friend,
but it was someone else whose phone rang. i verified what this
person's number was and i know i dialed my friend's number correctly
(i used the phonebook entry). both she and my friend were nextell
users.)
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 11:45:47 PM

jonstos wrote:

> <snip>
>
> has anyone ever heard of anything like this happening? what do people
> think Sprint will say to this? i assume i should call exec services
> first.

If there turns out to be a billing error, your first call should
be to Customer Service.

Why would you call Executive Services?

Larry
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 12:27:33 AM

In article <57cba861.0404271141.5a723f9e@posting.google.com>,
jonstos@yahoo.com (jonstos) wrote:

> the bottom line is that this other person made hundreds of dollars in
> calls to this spanish speaking country, and there's no way in hell i'm
> paying for this.
>
> thanks in advance!

Good Luck. Sprint CSRs are taught that you're Guilty until proven
innocent.
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 12:27:44 AM

"jonstos" <jonstos@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> one night recently my sprint pcs cell phone was apparently somehow
> mysteriously switched with someone else's.
>
> either sprint themselves goofed up our two phone services in their
> system, or else this other guy somehow hijacked my phone so he could
> make international calls.
>
> details: i received a call from a guy who spoke spanish, i thought
> he'd dialed the wrong number. around the same time, my friend dialed
> my number and got a guy who spoke spanish. i believe the guy who
> called me likely dialed this other fellow's number yet got my phone.
>
> for that whole evening, there are a bunch of calls on my bill to a
> spanish speaking country that i did not make. a LOT of them, all night
> long. a call that i know i made that night does NOT show up on my
> bill, i'm betting it in turn shows up on HIS bill.
>
> for the next few days my phone couldn't connect to the SPCS network at
> all. i called support and it had to be re-activated - i.e. my phone
> had somehow been de-activated, but more precisely, activated as this
> *other* guy's phone.
>
> has anyone ever heard of anything like this happening? what do people
> think Sprint will say to this? i assume i should call exec services
> first.
>
> the bottom line is that this other person made hundreds of dollars in
> calls to this spanish speaking country, and there's no way in hell i'm
> paying for this.
>
> thanks in advance!
>
> (once, in what must have been a similar switcheroo, i called a friend,
> but it was someone else whose phone rang. i verified what this
> person's number was and i know i dialed my friend's number correctly
> (i used the phonebook entry). both she and my friend were nextell
> users.)

Are you sure that it just wasn't that your phone was switched with the other
phone at a restaurant or your local watering hole? Also, have you checked
the phone's settings to see whether it's your phone number listed on the
handset? It's easy to find out by calling your other phone, to get the phone
number.

Then call SPCS CS and tell them this story, and give as many details as you
can.

Next, unless you have authorized international calling on your account, no
one will be able to call internationally on your phone.

Finally, no ... this type of incident has never been reported here in this
newsgroup since I started here in 98.

Bob
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 4:47:31 PM

I have a friend in NYC who this just happened to .She ended up getting a new
number, and had to pay (temp) the bill while SPCS checked her account. She
did get the monwy back however. Good luck
"jonstos" <jonstos@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> one night recently my sprint pcs cell phone was apparently somehow
> mysteriously switched with someone else's.
>
> either sprint themselves goofed up our two phone services in their
> system, or else this other guy somehow hijacked my phone so he could
> make international calls.
>
> details: i received a call from a guy who spoke spanish, i thought
> he'd dialed the wrong number. around the same time, my friend dialed
> my number and got a guy who spoke spanish. i believe the guy who
> called me likely dialed this other fellow's number yet got my phone.
>
> for that whole evening, there are a bunch of calls on my bill to a
> spanish speaking country that i did not make. a LOT of them, all night
> long. a call that i know i made that night does NOT show up on my
> bill, i'm betting it in turn shows up on HIS bill.
>
> for the next few days my phone couldn't connect to the SPCS network at
> all. i called support and it had to be re-activated - i.e. my phone
> had somehow been de-activated, but more precisely, activated as this
> *other* guy's phone.
>
> has anyone ever heard of anything like this happening? what do people
> think Sprint will say to this? i assume i should call exec services
> first.
>
> the bottom line is that this other person made hundreds of dollars in
> calls to this spanish speaking country, and there's no way in hell i'm
> paying for this.
>
> thanks in advance!
>
> (once, in what must have been a similar switcheroo, i called a friend,
> but it was someone else whose phone rang. i verified what this
> person's number was and i know i dialed my friend's number correctly
> (i used the phonebook entry). both she and my friend were nextell
> users.)
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 5:06:41 PM

Sorry about your mixup, Never heard of such a thing before.

I am curious about one thing though

You say
---
a call that i know i made that night does NOT show up on my
bill, i'm betting it in turn shows up on HIS bill.
---
What about your friend's bill ? If you suspect the numbers were
switched then when you called you should see the "hackers" number as
the caller in your friends bill.

Do post your findings..

Cheers
DB

jonstos@yahoo.com (jonstos) wrote in message news:<57cba861.0404271141.5a723f9e@posting.google.com>...
> one night recently my sprint pcs cell phone was apparently somehow
> mysteriously switched with someone else's.
>
> either sprint themselves goofed up our two phone services in their
> system, or else this other guy somehow hijacked my phone so he could
> make international calls.
>
> details: i received a call from a guy who spoke spanish, i thought
> he'd dialed the wrong number. around the same time, my friend dialed
> my number and got a guy who spoke spanish. i believe the guy who
> called me likely dialed this other fellow's number yet got my phone.
>
> for that whole evening, there are a bunch of calls on my bill to a
> spanish speaking country that i did not make. a LOT of them, all night
> long. a call that i know i made that night does NOT show up on my
> bill, i'm betting it in turn shows up on HIS bill.
>
> for the next few days my phone couldn't connect to the SPCS network at
> all. i called support and it had to be re-activated - i.e. my phone
> had somehow been de-activated, but more precisely, activated as this
> *other* guy's phone.
>
> has anyone ever heard of anything like this happening? what do people
> think Sprint will say to this? i assume i should call exec services
> first.
>
> the bottom line is that this other person made hundreds of dollars in
> calls to this spanish speaking country, and there's no way in hell i'm
> paying for this.
>
> thanks in advance!
>
> (once, in what must have been a similar switcheroo, i called a friend,
> but it was someone else whose phone rang. i verified what this
> person's number was and i know i dialed my friend's number correctly
> (i used the phonebook entry). both she and my friend were nextell
> users.)
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 8:26:25 PM

Bob Smith <usirsclt_No_Way_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Are you sure that it just wasn't that your phone was switched with the other
> phone at a restaurant or your local watering hole? Also, have you checked
> the phone's settings to see whether it's your phone number listed on the
> handset? It's easy to find out by calling your other phone, to get the phone
> number.

Take the battery off the phone and read the ESN (electronic serial number)
and ask if that's what SPCS has on your account. If you accidentally switched
phones with someone, you will have a phone that does not have the ESN Sprint
has on record for your account.

April 29, 2004 1:00:02 PM

there's really no way i physically switched phones. the address book
contains my entries. not to mention i've only seen one other person
with an uproar in my life, and that was 4 years ago.

> > Are you sure that it just wasn't that your phone was switched with the other
> > phone at a restaurant or your local watering hole? Also, have you checked
> > the phone's settings to see whether it's your phone number listed on the
> > handset? It's easy to find out by calling your other phone, to get the phone
> > number.
>
> Take the battery off the phone and read the ESN (electronic serial number)
> and ask if that's what SPCS has on your account. If you accidentally switched
> phones with someone, you will have a phone that does not have the ESN Sprint
> has on record for your account.
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 1:10:53 PM

> What about your friend's bill ? If you suspect the numbers were
> switched then when you called you should see the "hackers" number as
> the caller in your friends bill.

d'oh!!! i knew there was some part of this that my monkey brain wasn't
fathoming yet! thanks! of course. that's the most important piece of
the puzzle.

you may have helped my friend too, since this same type of switcheroo
happened to her recently on nextel, and she thought her bill seemed
too high. i'll see if *her* doppleganger's number is on my bill for
that period.

i don't even use a landline anymore, my cell is my only phone... why
can't they get these things to WORK?? i'm going to start carrying
around a damn can on a string instead, it will be more reliable.

i'll post what happens in the end, for posterity, since there doesn't
seem to be a post on this topic yet on this board (??).
Anonymous
April 30, 2004 1:26:49 AM

jonstos <jonstos@yahoo.com> wrote:
> there's really no way i physically switched phones. the address book
> contains my entries. not to mention i've only seen one other person
> with an uproar in my life, and that was 4 years ago.

The only thing that I can think of is that the ESN's got switched in the
database by mistake.

Good luck on getting this mess ironed out. Let us know what happened.