Tags:
  • Printers
  • Lexmark
  • USB
  • Windows XP
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 22, 2004 7:58:00 PM

I just got my landlord's dead system back into the realm of the living. He has an older AMd based system with an ASRock motherboard and a Lexmark Z33 USB priter. It USED to work under his Windows Me, but I am having a heck of a time getting it to work under Windows XP. The system sees it as an unrecognized device when I plug it into the USB port, but refuses to accept the Windows XP drivers I downloaded from the Lexmark site. I am at my wits end, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

More about : lexmark z33 usb

April 23, 2004 6:36:43 PM

Sounds like you plugged it in before loading the drivers. With USB you MUST load the drivers before plugging it in.

What you will have to do is get rid of the unknown device entries. Disconnect the USB cable before starting.

If system restore is turned on, restore the system to a time prior to connecting the printer (hopefully it was disconnected when you loaded Windows XP) reinstall the drivers, and then reconnect the printer.

If that fails, you may be able to do this in the Device Manager but more than likely you'll have to rip them outta the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB).

Make sure you backup the registry first.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by m39shadow on 04/23/04 02:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
April 23, 2004 7:04:16 PM

Thank you, I'll try that this weekend and update how it went. =) (Regretably I did have it plugged in during the install of XP.) =(
April 26, 2004 3:00:30 PM

No dice on getting it to work by deleting it. Or anything, everything I could find relating to usb. I finally just decided to bite the bullet and start over from scratch. It worked. I just had to make sure it, and everything else was disconnected during install. On the upside, it works nicely now, and I think I have a much more stable system running for him (now maybe he'll give me a little lee way on the volume of music I like when I take a shower.) =)
!