Timbo55

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2002
I want to access my dial up home computer from my work computer via the WEB and "control" it.

My work computers WEB access is "always on" and not dial up.

I want to be able to -

boot up / switch on
have full remote access to run programs and do "other stuff".
then shut it down when finished.

My home system is brand new so all the BIOS and everything is the latest (until next week when "they" release the new "latest" ;-)

What's a good program for this ?

Thanks Tim.....

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
Windows XP & 2000 come with Terminal Services, XP also has a built-in "Remote Desktop"... as long as you know your ip, login, password, and the computers are on the internet, you can then remote control them as they're in front of you.

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
do you know any 3rd party programs that can run on both win98 and/or NT, and winXP?

-- There are no answers to find in the bottom of a glass. But you can have fun looking for them.

One good one I know of is Symantec PCAnywhere. They're up to version 10.5... and I'm pretty sure version 10 worked under XP.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
pcanywhere 10.5 i think is needed for xp, not 100% sure tho, but theres also VNC, laplink, remote access, terminal services (2k server only) and of course the slow POS remote thingy built into xp.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

FatBurger

Illustrious
There's no way you can turn on your computer over the internet when it's a dial-up connection, unless you want to try WOR (Wake On Ring) and have a modem+phone line at work you can use to wake it up.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
you can install the Remote Connection on Win98, ....the one that comes with XP....it's on the Installation Disc...(im pretty sure) it works good...i use it to connect to my pc's all the time

This Community is like a Second Family!!

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
nice one. that sounds like a perfect way to start. Thanks

-- There are no answers to find in the bottom of a glass. But you can have fun looking for them.