Dungeon Siege 2 Gold

Microsoft Game Studios and Gas Powered Games today announced that Dungeon
Siege II, the ambitious sequel to Chris Taylor's best-selling, award-winning
action role-playing game (RPG) Dungeon Siege, has gone gold. Gamers will
once again journey to the beautiful fantasy land of Aranna on August 16,
2005, when Dungeon Siege II charges onto store shelves with a suggested
retail price of $49.99.

Dungeon Siege II casts players into a land deeply scarred by civil war,
where they will lead an elite battle party against a vicious marauder
hell-bent on bringing the world under his control, no matter the cost.
Dungeon Siege II raises the bar for action-RPGs by introducing a deeper
storyline, an extensive quest system and a new AI system creating more
challenging and cunning foes.

Developed exclusively for Windows XP, Dungeon Siege II promises to delight
RPG fans with a cutting-edge 3D engine, intense real-time combat against
monstrous foes and cooperative multiplayer support.

"dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> once tried to test me with:

> Microsoft Game Studios and Gas Powered Games today announced that
> Dungeon Siege II, the ambitious sequel to Chris Taylor's best-selling,
> award-winning action role-playing game (RPG) Dungeon Siege, has gone
> gold. Gamers will once again journey to the beautiful fantasy land of
> Aranna on August 16, 2005, when Dungeon Siege II charges onto store
> shelves with a suggested retail price of $49.99.
>
> Dungeon Siege II casts players into a land deeply scarred by civil
> war, where they will lead an elite battle party against a vicious
> marauder hell-bent on bringing the world under his control, no matter
> the cost. Dungeon Siege II raises the bar for action-RPGs by
> introducing a deeper storyline, an extensive quest system and a new AI
> system creating more challenging and cunning foes.
>
> Developed exclusively for Windows XP, Dungeon Siege II promises to
> delight RPG fans with a cutting-edge 3D engine, intense real-time
> combat against monstrous foes and cooperative multiplayer support.

I played the MP beta some and it was definitely cooler in some ways than
Dungeon Siege 1 (much better story anyhow) but one bit of it kind of
turned me off is that they went more "actiony" on the combat now, where you
have to press a lot of buttons to do stuff, but we'll see how reviews of it
turn out, I might end up liking this one better than DS1.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Knight37 wrote:
> "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> once tried to test me with:
>

>>Microsoft Game Studios and Gas Powered Games today announced that
>>Dungeon Siege II, the ambitious sequel to Chris Taylor's best-selling,
>>award-winning action role-playing game (RPG) Dungeon Siege, has gone
>>gold. Gamers will once again journey to the beautiful fantasy land of
>>Aranna on August 16, 2005, when Dungeon Siege II charges onto store
>>shelves with a suggested retail price of $49.99.
>>
>>Dungeon Siege II casts players into a land deeply scarred by civil
>>war, where they will lead an elite battle party against a vicious
>>marauder hell-bent on bringing the world under his control, no matter
>>the cost. Dungeon Siege II raises the bar for action-RPGs by
>>introducing a deeper storyline, an extensive quest system and a new AI
>>system creating more challenging and cunning foes.
>>
>>Developed exclusively for Windows XP, Dungeon Siege II promises to
>>delight RPG fans with a cutting-edge 3D engine, intense real-time
>>combat against monstrous foes and cooperative multiplayer support.
>

> I played the MP beta some and it was definitely cooler in some ways than
> Dungeon Siege 1 (much better story anyhow) but one bit of it kind of
> turned me off is that they went more "actiony" on the combat now, where you
> have to press a lot of buttons to do stuff, but we'll see how reviews of it
> turn out, I might end up liking this one better than DS1.

The single player demo is on the new PC Gamer DVD...

Yawn.

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:34:42 GMT, "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

>Microsoft Game Studios and Gas Powered Games today announced that Dungeon
>Siege II, the ambitious sequel to Chris Taylor's best-selling, award-winning
>action role-playing game (RPG) Dungeon Siege, has gone gold. Gamers will
>once again journey to the beautiful fantasy land of Aranna on August 16,
>2005, when Dungeon Siege II charges onto store shelves with a suggested
>retail price of $49.99.
>
>Dungeon Siege II casts players into a land deeply scarred by civil war,
>where they will lead an elite battle party against a vicious marauder
>hell-bent on bringing the world under his control, no matter the cost.
>Dungeon Siege II raises the bar for action-RPGs by introducing a deeper
>storyline, an extensive quest system and a new AI system creating more
>challenging and cunning foes.
>
>Developed exclusively for Windows XP, Dungeon Siege II promises to delight
>RPG fans with a cutting-edge 3D engine, intense real-time combat against
>monstrous foes and cooperative multiplayer support.

lol and I didn't like the 1st because it was too 'actiony'
oh well, another RPG I'll pass. When's Baldur's Gate 3 coming???

On 20 Jul 2005 01:51:02 GMT, Knight37 wrote:

> but one bit of it kind of
> turned me off is that they went more "actiony" on the combat now, where you
> have to press a lot of buttons to do stuff,

Having to press a lot of buttons makes the game sound "twitchy", which is
not necessarily what I look for in a RPG. Do you still have an entire party
that you can/have to control, like in the first part? Or does it use a
one-character system now?

M.

Michael Vondung wrote:
> On 20 Jul 2005 01:51:02 GMT, Knight37 wrote:
>

>>but one bit of it kind of
>>turned me off is that they went more "actiony" on the combat now, where you
>>have to press a lot of buttons to do stuff,
>

> Having to press a lot of buttons makes the game sound "twitchy", which is
> not necessarily what I look for in a RPG. Do you still have an entire party
> that you can/have to control, like in the first part? Or does it use a
> one-character system now?
>
> M.

Party. I'm up to three party members in the demo so far...

Andy

"Smart Feet" <smartfeet@yourshoes.com> wrote in message
> Michael Vondung wrote:
>> On 20 Jul 2005 01:51:02 GMT, Knight37 wrote:
>>

>>>but one bit of it kind of turned me off is that they went more "actiony"
>>>on the combat now, where you have to press a lot of buttons to do stuff,
>>

>> Having to press a lot of buttons makes the game sound "twitchy", which is
>> not necessarily what I look for in a RPG. Do you still have an entire
>> party
>> that you can/have to control, like in the first part? Or does it use a
>> one-character system now?
>>
>> M.
>

> Party. I'm up to three party members in the demo so far...

Are you able to sit back and enjoy as the party cleaves its way without
intervention by the player, or do you have to click Diablo style all the
time?

Andy

Andy wrote:

>>Party. I'm up to three party members in the demo so far...
>

> Are you able to sit back and enjoy as the party cleaves its way without
> intervention by the player, or do you have to click Diablo style all the
> time?
>
> Andy

Unfortunately, it's Diablo style. There are two options to make it more
DS1 like, but your main character will never attack unless you click or
he is attacked first.

I know they changed it because they got bad press that DS1 basically
played itself. The problem is... I *liked* it that way! If I want a
clickfest, I'll play Diablo II.

Hopefully the mod community will come out with a fix soon after release
that makes it play like the previous game.

unk

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2004

> Unfortunately, it's Diablo style. There are two options to make it
> more DS1 like, but your main character will never attack unless you
> click or he is attacked first.
>
> I know they changed it because they got bad press that DS1 basically
> played itself. The problem is... I *liked* it that way! If I want a
> clickfest, I'll play Diablo II.
>
> Hopefully the mod community will come out with a fix soon after
> release that makes it play like the previous game.

I just tried it yesterday. I lasted about 20 minutes before giving up to
boredom. The graphics are very nice, zooming in to see all the details
is cool, and one only has to do mouse rollovers to figure out how to
play.

Playing was advance, attack, loot, advance, attack, loot, pretty similar
to the first game. I got halfway through that one before burning out.

Indeed all they need is an 'auto attack on' button, a 'always loot after
battle' button, and an 'auto advance' button. Pressing those one could
go watch a movie and come back to see what progress they made. No
thinking needed.

Not meaning to rain on anyone's parade, I didn't like Dungeon Siege at
all and am not going to give DS 2 a look unless something is
fundamentally different.

In DS I felt like I was playing a RTS game in which I did manage the
skills and stats of my characters but just told the group where to go
and they performed their own auto-combat very similar to a RTS game.
The environments were decent (and rpg-like as opposed to the RTS style
of environments) and there was only one group to control (unlike most
RTS's) so that was good but combat was completely uninteresting to me
and once my group had engaged the enemy I felt like I was merely a
spectator. This is different from all of the rpg's I have enjoyed and
with DS I particularly disliked that aspect of it.

Smart Feet wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>

> > That's what I liked about the first one. Imagine controlling the skill
> > trees and training of your favourite movie hero, directing them
> > strategically but letting their own skills (that you selected for them)
> > dictate the course of battle. That would be a quality movie/game. I
> > wouldn't want more auto than DS1, that had it about perfectly, although more
> > skills D&D style would be good if they were relevant to the game.
> >
> > For twitch fighting with the mouse I'll play UT or Quake deathmatch.
> >
> > Andy
> >

> And they did do one good new thing... if the party is attacked on THE
> WAY to where you clicked for them to move, they will stop and attack
> (not just keep walking while under fire), then continue to where you
> clicked when the enemy is dead. Now if they will just make an option to
> make all of the characters auto-attack on sight again, we'll have a game...

Andy

Andy wrote:

> That's what I liked about the first one. Imagine controlling the skill
> trees and training of your favourite movie hero, directing them
> strategically but letting their own skills (that you selected for them)
> dictate the course of battle. That would be a quality movie/game. I
> wouldn't want more auto than DS1, that had it about perfectly, although more
> skills D&D style would be good if they were relevant to the game.
>
> For twitch fighting with the mouse I'll play UT or Quake deathmatch.
>
> Andy

And they did do one good new thing... if the party is attacked on THE
WAY to where you clicked for them to move, they will stop and attack
(not just keep walking while under fire), then continue to where you
clicked when the enemy is dead. Now if they will just make an option to
make all of the characters auto-attack on sight again, we'll have a game...

nostromo

Thus spake "NFLed" <NFLed@aol.com>, 22 Jul 2005 15:04:50 -0700, Anno Domini:

>Not meaning to rain on anyone's parade, I didn't like Dungeon Siege at
>all and am not going to give DS 2 a look unless something is
>fundamentally different.
>
>In DS I felt like I was playing a RTS game in which I did manage the
>skills and stats of my characters but just told the group where to go
>and they performed their own auto-combat very similar to a RTS game.
>The environments were decent (and rpg-like as opposed to the RTS style
>of environments) and there was only one group to control (unlike most
>RTS's) so that was good but combat was completely uninteresting to me
>and once my group had engaged the enemy I felt like I was merely a
>spectator. This is different from all of the rpg's I have enjoyed and
>with DS I particularly disliked that aspect of it.

Heh, to even put a turd like DS1 in the same category (RTS) as a gem like
Kohan is absolute sacrilege! And Kohan had more rping than DS1, which let's
face it, was just a pretty animated slideshow, ever had.

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

How is Dungeon Siege 2 compared to Heretic Kingdom and FATE? Are they
all the same?

Mike@null.invalid once tried to test me with:

> I was hoping to see an end or phase out of my high-end PC but if even
> Microsoft continues to market PC only games of this genre then I'll
> have to hang on to it a little longer. Has anyone heard if Dungeon
> Siege II might be destined to the 360 later this year?

I can't see DS2 being on a console. It's got too many controls. Well I
guess they could dumb it down. I haven't heard any news of DS2 being
scheduled for a console release.

DS2 is aiming for lower end hardware, you do not need a great rig to run
it. Here are the minimum specs:

* Windows XP SP1 or newer
* PC with 1.0 Ghz equivalent or higher processor
* 256 MB RAM
* 4 GB of available hard disk space
* Quad-speed or higher CD-ROM drive
* Sound card, speakers or headphones required for audio
* Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
* Broadband internet access or LAN for online/multiplayer
* Supported Video Card
o ATI Radeon™ series 7000 or better*
o Nvidia® Geforce series
o Intel® Extreme Graphics 82845, 82865, 82915*

* - ATI Radeon™ 7000 series and the Intel® Extreme Graphics 82845, 82865,
82915 require 2.0 GHz equivalent or higher processor

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Champion wrote:
> How is Dungeon Siege 2 compared to Heretic Kingdom and FATE? Are they
> all the same?

Never heard of Heretic Kingdom, but DS2 is MUCH better than Fate. Fate
gets terribly repetitive VERY fast. I guess it was worth $20 to mess
around with, but it isn't even close to DS1, DS2 or Diablo II...

"Champion" <chromallly@yahoo.com> once tried to test me with:

> How is Dungeon Siege 2 compared to Heretic Kingdom and FATE? Are they
> all the same?

DS2 has a lot more meat on it than either Heretic Kingdoms or Fate. Much
more variety of loot, must more depth of gameplay. But then again, DS2 is a
full price retail game, and you can get Fate for $20 and HK around that.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.